GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD to an 'R'

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
Hi All, not been on here for a while now, Hello again..

Hoping you can help

I'm soon to be changing to an 'R' on 16/66 plate and have a couple of (dumb) questions.
Navigation is a must have for me - Not having used carplay before, I'm assuming that Nav works from my Phone? Thus no need to have nav on head unit. does phone Nav work as well as the Discover nav option?

Any subtle feature differences in manufacture date around early/late 16 I should be aware of? (example MY15, upgrades to keyless and carplay took place)

Thanks in advance
J.

Arkarma

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

I dont think that the MIB I in the 2016 R supports apple car play, at least it wasn't on the MIB I that I had in my '15R, which also didnt come with in built satnav. I think a bit after I bought mine the nav was a standard feature so I would definitely check it with your intended purchase. I can say that the MIB II in my 18' 7.5 golf R defintely does support apple car play and with the release of IOS 12 it also does google maps via carplay too which saved me 1200 notes on the upgraded infotainment in my current motor :)

C.

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks both for your responses.
The search for a car stalled over Christmas but I'm back on the hunt and narrowed down a couple of cars, both 66 plates. Seems the 66 plates all have satnav so i'm guessing it became standard at some point between 16/66 plate.

Could someone advise on the following please?
I'd like to mirror my iphone on the MIB2 unit and unsure if the car need have applecarplay to do this?
Q2. If AppleCar play isn't enabled is there 'standard' provision on the head unit to mirror a phone?

Thanks in advance for help.

J.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Could someone advise on the following please?
I'd like to mirror my iphone on the MIB2 unit and unsure if the car need have applecarplay to do this?
Q2. If AppleCar play isn't enabled is there 'standard' provision on the head unit to mirror a phone?

If it doesn't have AppConnect, you can't mirror your phone.

Storm19999

Passed Driver's Ed
So a 16 plate r most likely to have car play
But if not factory option for £100 you will pay £225 supplies and fitted at vw or £100 through Alex at retro fit it will mirror phone but is a hard wired connection not like fords and Bluetooth . I’ve got a 16 plate gtd I’ve self installed apple car play, later glass nav screen and virtual dash along with rs 8pot brakes with wavy discs front and rear. Mine is also kessey I’m also running 225 bhp. I could have had an r but I drive to had and there rubbish on fuel with me driving. I’m an ex vw tech. So I can now get 35-63mpg driving style dependant.

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
Thank you.
The option for appconnect when selected is to contact dealer to enable, or something along those lines. Right as of now, a couple of days into ownership, with SatNav fitted I'm just fine. Having said that, Spotify being available via the headunit will be appealing and at £100 vs the £240 quoted by my local VW dealership, is something for thought.

J.

So a 16 plate r most likely to have car play
But if not factory option for £100 you will pay £225 supplies and fitted at vw or £100 through Alex at retro fit it will mirror phone but is a hard wired connection not like fords and Bluetooth ..