GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SeanKirk23's White Silver GTI

SeanKirk23

Hey all,

New to this forum. Have been a member of VWVortex for years but rarely post there anymore. For some history my first car was a 1999 Tornado Red MK3 GTI VR6. A few years later, back in 2008 I picked up a 2003 Silverstone Gray GTI VR6. That car was my baby and the first car I REALLY started modifying. I daily drove it for years but after having bodywork and paint done I didn't want to ruin the car by daily driving it, so I picked up a B5 A4 to daily. I was really in the market for a manual 30V V6 Quattro car, but found a clean 01 A4 1.8T Quattro manual. I had that car for about 2 and a half years. I did all the typical maintenance when I picked it up. Timing belt/waterpump. VC gaskets. Plugs. Coils. Found that the car already had HSport front and rear sway bars with the rear subframe braces. I ordered 034 control arms, new tie rod inner and outers and got a great deal on H&R coils through work. Found some cheap 17x8 Rotiform NUE's and drove it like that for a while. The car was hit twice while parked and after the second time I set back out on the search for a 30V. I picked up a 2001 A4 Quattro 30V 5 speed manual back in January of 17. Yet again, in silver. Swapped everything that was in better shape from my 1.8T to the 30V car and sold the 1.8T car. I drove the 30V for a while and still have it, along with my MK4. But the B5 was going to need a lot of maintenance really soon with how much driving I do. So I set out for a CPO MK7 GTI SE with the DSG in Carbon Steel Gray. I realized that wasn't going to be an easy find and looked at a few other MK7's to find a lot were really beat for being only a year or two old. My family talked me into getting a new car instead just based off of the new car interest rates and better warranty.

As soon as I saw the white silver in person, I fell in love and was dead set on that color. I didn't realize how hard it would be to locate a SE car with leather and DSG. I had several dealerships on the hunt for one and it started to seem hopeless. I found one online from a dealership in Virginia and called. The car had already been sold. This is right around the period where there was a stop sale on 18 GTI's. They swore they could locate the car. On July 13th, I drove from Philadelphia, PA to Virginia to put a deposit down. On July 25th, I drove down again to pick up my car!

I won't be going crazy with this car. I have my MK4 and B5 to play with. This car is just a reliable daily driver with a warranty that I want to keep 100% in tact. I have made a few minor changes, and may make some other small tweaks over time, but with how much I drive, my warranty will only last 2 and a half years or so...

A few pictures of the previous cars. All work was performed by me with the exception of the paint and body work by SLAW on the GTI and the wheel refinishing by Perfect Metal Finishing.

The MK4 GTI VR6

The B5 1.8T (had clear corners and light greyish brown interior)

The B5 30V (stole a lot of parts off my 1.8T car) I still have this as a winter beater car for now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SeanKirk23

And now for the MK7.5

The day I took delivery at Lindsay VW in Virginia

Added a tempered glass LCD screen protector on the radio - Purchased after I made the deposit for the car

Added RacingLine Titanium finish DSG paddles - I had these before I even took delivery of the car too haha

Otherwise, I had the windows tinted 20% all around and added WeatherTech window visors. I've always hated them, but this car really needed them. Even cracking the window a tad would soak the door panel and switches.

Last edited:

SeanKirk23

that mk4...need

Thanks man! I miss driving it. I've neglected driving it and it's just sat in the garage mostly. Will likely bring it back out this upcoming show season. Maybe not though... Lol.

I picked up an S in Alexandria. Congrats on your perfect color choice:

Nice! I was actually pretty set on a Carbon Steel Grey until they dropped it for the facelift and I saw the White Silver. It was a really hard combo to find in the SE with leather and DSG for some reason. I searched nationwide at one point and with the stop sales happening mid search it was really hard to find. I'm from PA but it was only 2 and 1/2 hours away and the price was significantly lower than dealers locally were willing to work with.

B5, MK4, and now MK7 Facelift... wow. All your cars look great! 90s/Early 00s Audi [emoji108][emoji2533]

Thanks! Still have the B5 but I have someone who offered more than I purchased the car for 2 years ago with almost 40k miles less. So it may be gone next weekend. I sort of hope not... Yet I won't turn down the money.

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
O00!! Can’t wait to see what’s in store ~ welcome brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeanKirk23

Not a whole lot new to report on... I've been dealing with a sqeaky / noisy sunroof. Had it at the dealer once already and they trimmed back some excess glue from the roof panel bonding. I just tried some felt strips on the rail behind the sunroof shade and it seems to be much quieter so far. I think I need one more piece in the middle and hopefully that solves it.

I also ordered the OEM warning triangle to fill the void in the hatch because it bothered me.

sanity_gti

Not a whole lot new to report on... I've been dealing with a sqeaky / noisy sunroof. Had it at the dealer once already and they trimmed back some excess glue from the roof panel bonding. I just tried some felt strips on the rail behind the sunroof shade and it seems to be much quieter so far. I think I need one more piece in the middle and hopefully that solves it.

I also ordered the OEM warning triangle to fill the void in the hatch because it bothered me.

We have matching cars! I picked mine up about 3 weeks ago. I’m having the same issue with the noise from the sunroof. Super annoying. And very strange to own a new car that rattles like an old car. The dealer said it’s normal because of the types and quantities of plastics in the cabin. Let me know if you find a permanent solution.

SeanKirk23

Just a small update...

I went in for my 10k mile service last week. Yes. That's 10,000 miles in 4 months or so. Not even sure how that happened...

AND

I sold my B5 A4 this past weekend and the new owner picked it up on Sunday. I got an offer that was too good to pass up. Definitely going to miss that car...

So... My MK7 is going to have to deal with some snow. I ordered some Blizzak WS80's that I'm going to mount on the 17" NUE's that were on my B5. Offsets are a bit agressive for the MK7 platform being 17x8 et20's all around. I did test fit them and I think I should be fine to make it through this winter since I'm still on stock suspension, but once this car gets lowered I'll have to find another set of winter wheels. Likely mounting the tires this week at some point, but I'll probably wait to put them on the car until I see snow in the radar.

SeanKirk23

Just a few more small updates.

Got the Blizzaks's mounted on the 17x8 Rotiform NUE's from my old B5 A4. 17x8 et20 is a bit agressive for the MK7 platform, but with factory suspension it seems a non-issue. Running 205/50/17s to keep the same overall diameter as the factory 225/40/18's, yet keeping them skinny for the snow.

Also swapped my 2017 Audi 12V plug into the trunk of my MK4 and put two new matching 2018 Audi 12V plugs in the center console and armrest. OCD problems lol...