GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Update:

I received and installed my 5G0-035-222-E harness today and viola.....fully functioning CarPlay. I'm beyond stoked. I'm still missing Bluetooth and Voice Commands, but as I previously stated, I never used those in my life prior to this en devour.

Awesome! Wonder why bluetooth doesn't work?

I'm still rolling around with CP on my equipment...I have four VW dealers in ~60 mile radius, I went to each one over the last week and none of them sounded like they knew what they were talking about as far as removing CP and installing the FeC's. I have an appt with one of them next wednesday, that was the earliest they could get me in. Hopefully they can get me up and running.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie

I'm still rolling around with CP on my equipment...I have four VW dealers in ~60 mile radius, I went to each one over the last week and none of them sounded like they knew what they were talking about as far as removing CP and installing the FeC's. I have an appt with one of them next wednesday, that was the earliest they could get me in. Hopefully they can get me up and running.

See if they'll let you talk to a tech. Anybody who's been there awhile will know CP and FECs could be new but it should be through GFF

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie

The 2018 "S" radio does not have an FEC for bluetooth, even though it comes stock with it. So when you go to install a radio that requires an FEC for bluetooth (anything MIB2), that FEC needs to be added to the recipient's VIN.

All I did was remove Component Protection, I didn't add any FEC's.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Had my appointment at VW today, overall went pretty well. I spoke with the tech beforehand, he said he'd never done anything like this before but wasn't afraid to try it.

He was able to remove component protection and re-install my three previous FeC codes. Sound works great, as does bluetooth. As expected, Appconnect no longer works. I didn't buy a code yet because I wanted to make sure VW could at least get me this far. I feel confident now that if I buy the activation code and bring it back it shouldn't be too difficult to install.

One issue I have though, driving modes still does not work. I thought they would be re-enabled from one of my three FeC codes, but they don't work. Is there a VCDS fix for that? The three codes I have are below:

00030000 - AMI (USB enable)
00050000 - Bluetooth
00070100 - SDS

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
I didn't buy a code yet because I wanted to make sure VW could at least get me this far. I feel confident now that if I buy the activation code and bring it back it shouldn't be too difficult to install.

Where exactly do you "buy a code" from? I need one for bluetooth.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Where exactly do you "buy a code" from? I need one for bluetooth.

You can buy Appconnect from several places, cheapest I've seen is the link provided by the OP...
https://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/vw-audi-seat-skoda/vw-audi-seat-skoda-5g0054830a-document/

There are part #'s for some other FeC's as well, but I have not seen one for bluetooth.

5G0054830A - App-Connect $208
5G0054809 - Driving Modes. $118
5G0054802 - Voice Activation. $138.
5G0054802A - Voice Activation with Navigation. $230
5G0054801 - Driver Alert.

My car had driving modes originally, so I was under the impression they would be re-activated after component protection was removed. Unfortunately they were not :( .

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Had my appointment at VW today, overall went pretty well. I spoke with the tech beforehand, he said he'd never done anything like this before but wasn't afraid to try it.

He was able to remove component protection and re-install my three previous FeC codes. Sound works great, as does bluetooth. As expected, Appconnect no longer works. I didn't buy a code yet because I wanted to make sure VW could at least get me this far. I feel confident now that if I buy the activation code and bring it back it shouldn't be too difficult to install.

One issue I have though, driving modes still does not work. I thought they would be re-enabled from one of my three FeC codes, but they don't work. Is there a VCDS fix for that? The three codes I have are below:

00030000 - AMI (USB enable)
00050000 - Bluetooth
00070100 - SDS

That has not been my experience, as documented earlier in the thread. Good luck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
That has not been my experience, as documented earlier in the thread. Good luck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Can you elaborate? I don't recall reading that anywhere. In fact the OP says the opposite:

Have component protection (CP) removed and have App-Connect key implemented: Go to dealer and have them remove CP, implement App-Connect FeC (with key provided in documentation you purchased separately) and reinstall existing FeC's (Driver Modes and Voice Commands) which are associated with your VIN in the VW database. Every time the dealer has to replace a broken infotainment unit they need to remove CP and reinstall FeC's so this is something they should be familiar with. The only thing that is a new twist is adding the App-Connect FeC. If you also replaced the Fender MIB2 amplifier, it too will require removal of component protection.

a3golfer

You can buy Appconnect from several places, cheapest I've seen is the link provided by the OP...
https://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/vw-audi-seat-skoda/vw-audi-seat-skoda-5g0054830a-document/

There are part #'s for some other FeC's as well, but I have not seen one for bluetooth.

5G0054830A - App-Connect $208
5G0054809 - Driving Modes. $118
5G0054802 - Voice Activation. $138.
5G0054802A - Voice Activation with Navigation. $230
5G0054801 - Driver Alert.

My car had driving modes originally, so I was under the impression they would be re-activated after component protection was removed. Unfortunately they were not :( .

Can you clarify this?

What kind of head unit/display did you start with and are you going to buy the driving modes?

Did you get the driving mode selection problem fixed? Do they charge you for labor for this stuff?

EDIT:

Do all MIB2 head units have the ability to do navigation or is that a specific model number?

If I want to do a Fender MIB1 to MIB2 upgrade it sounds like I need the ODIS cable, 8 inch screen (what I want to upgrade to), MIB 2 head unit, MIB 2 USB connector (I have MDI), and I could contact Jack to get the copy protection and feature codes installed. Am I missing anything?

Do the navigation ones require an external GPS antenna? Is the navigation even worth it?

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Can you clarify this?

What kind of head unit/display did you start with and are you going to buy the driving modes?

Did you get the driving mode selection problem fixed? Do they charge you for labor for this stuff?

EDIT:

Do all MIB2 head units have the ability to do navigation or is that a specific model number?

If I want to do a Fender MIB1 to MIB2 upgrade it sounds like I need the ODIS cable, 8 inch screen (what I want to upgrade to), MIB 2 head unit, MIB 2 USB connector (I have MDI), and I could contact Jack to get the copy protection and feature codes installed. Am I missing anything?

Do the navigation ones require an external GPS antenna? Is the navigation even worth it?

I started with the MIB1, 5.8" screen. My car is an SE, so I had the driving modes originally, hopefully can find a way to get them back without buying them, but have not done so yet.

The dealership I went to charged me a 1 hour diagnostic rate to remove CP and install the FeC's. Was a little over $100 with tax, I'd be upset if it cost any more than that.

I'm not positive on this, but the way I understand it is all MIB2 head units are Nav capable, but Nav is an FeC also, and if your car did not have Nav from the factory you can't add it.

As for what equipment you need - yes, you need a 6" or 8" display (and the trim piece if you go 8"), MIB2 head unit, USB connector. Jack has been unresponsive for several weeks, so if you can't get a hold of him to do your retro you will not need the ODIS cable, but you will need a MIB2 amp and you'll have to get your coding done at the dealership. ODIS cables are useless to normal consumers like us because you need to login to a VW account.

Your other options are to have your equipment retro'd by APG or buy a kit from Eurozone tuning. Eurozone was a no-go for me because all their MIB2 kits for MIB1 cars are euro spec, which means no Sirius XM. I'm not sure what APG can provide because they never responded to my email...good luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

https://www.apg.org.pl/

https://eurozonetuning.com/

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Driving modes are on the Gateway(source: have flashed my gateway several times with different firmwares and datasets, driving profiles changed as a result) . Did you enable Charisma in coding/adaptation?

YES! thank you dude! Charisma was off for some reason. When it was reenabled my settings were right where I left them, set to individual with engine sound off, so seems like it was working even when I couldn't adjust them. I just hate having things not work the right way haha.

PS - I'm pretty excited to use your android performance monitor whenever I get Appconnect enabled. I messed around with it a little before I had component protection removed, it didn't read any diagnostics properly but it seems very cool!

slider09

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone here from the UK done this, if so where did you buy the parts from?

Facebook guy here in the UK says only the PRO version can be retrofitted, is this true?

Can the coding be done with OBDEleven, if so is there a link to the instructions anywhere?

I currently have a MIB1 Discover Nav and am getting increasingly frustrated with it.

FB guy wants over £1200 for MIB2 pro fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Anyone here from the UK done this, if so where did you buy the parts from?

Facebook guy here in the UK says only the PRO version can be retrofitted, is this true?

Can the coding be done with OBDEleven, if so is there a link to the instructions anywhere?

I currently have a MIB1 Discover Nav and am getting increasingly frustrated with it.

FB guy wants over £1200 for MIB2 pro fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming that includes parts, it's about correct price wise.

I bought mine from VagTec UK on eBay but I wouldn't recommend them. Don't even think they still sell on eBay.

I strongly recommend Alex @ VW Retrofit (possibly who you mean by "Facebook guy"). Here's one of his listings: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DISCOVER...LL-ACTIVE-CP-REMOVED-/283232968338?nav=SEARCH

Go directly to him rather than through eBay and you'll probably save some money, because eBay take a big cut.

He fitted and coded by AID and I couldn't be happier.