GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GolfWang's Boring Build Thread

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
I hate to hear that for you. It would be hard to tell you anything for sure without looking under the car first. Their is a chance of it being the dogbone area, or the 034 could have given out.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Checking back in for the first time since before thanksgiving, I am now at 64K miles and bought Uniconnect today, along with the Stage 1+ ECU/TCU combo package. I also bought the Emmanuelle Design Rear Sway Bar from navindralr in Brooklyn on Sunday.

Last month I replaced my 034 upper engine/trans mounts with BFI Stage 1 mounts, and replaced my APR Steel Insert with the Powerflex Street Insert (retaining the previously installed APR Pendulum Bar)

For about 2 weeks or so after installing the new upper mounts and insert, it was the best the car had ever felt. That honeymoon phase after a mod really changes your car. But then slop came back :( The ONLY common denominator at this point is the OEM dogbone puck itself, the rubber piece with all the voids. So I'm going to replace it with the Powerflex Hybrid puck, same time that I install my ED RSB and the Superpro suspension bushings that I'm currently in research mode before I purchase.

Then, saving up for Bilstein B8's w/ H&R OE Sport springs or the like. I'm really excited for these changes.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
So in the ongoing shitstorm that is my MK7 ownership, my car does NOT drive like it's on 18lb wheels with AS3+, and Stage 1 engine mounts + APR insert and pendulum bar. There's tons of drivetrain slop. And my car is still on stock power...

...Anyway, got a new DSG, and installed the APR insert and APR pendulum bar. Drove great at first...

...But I'm now in the same situation. My car feels so loose, and I almost can't bear to even look underneath the car, in the fear that the same thing happened twice.

Last month I replaced my 034 upper engine/trans mounts with BFI Stage 1 mounts, and replaced my APR Steel Insert with the Powerflex Street Insert (retaining the previously installed APR Pendulum Bar)

For about 2 weeks or so after installing the new upper mounts and insert, it was the best the car had ever felt. That honeymoon phase after a mod really changes your car. But then slop came back :(

I feel this so hard. It's like an endless cycle and I'm tired of spending money just trying to get it to feel normal. Makes me wish I had never changed anything... I wonder if I'd still be in the same boat with all stock mounts.

I started with an 034 lower insert, after a year or so felt slop so I added CTS engine and tranny mounts (I believe these are pretty similar to the 034 ones, rubber, similar durometer, stock housings) and the car felt amazing for a couple weeks. Then I started getting a slight bucking/hiccup on throttle application. Into the winter season it just got worse and even started squeaking/clunking on shifts and momentum changes. Figured my dogbone insert had failed so I warrantied it and got a revised V2 and paired it with the 034 upper. Felt better but not perfect for about a week, but now I'm back to feeling like the engine is sloshing around in the bay on shifts and acceleration/braking. Still have the squeaking/clunking. So now I'm wondering if the CTS mounts are shit and I should go with the BFI. Or if it's something else altogether.

Sorry to write a book on your build thread but I haven't found a lot of other people on here with similar experince. I'm sensitive to NVH. I also essentially have stock power (no tune) but do have the Dinan unit. I drive pretty tame most of the time. Never launched the car or anything like that. It's just my daily driver.

I know it's been asked a million times, but from someone with a similar perspective and struggles... are you happy with the BFI mounts? Think it's worth another $300 for me to try that route?

Thanks

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I feel this so hard. It's like an endless cycle and I'm tired of spending money just trying to get it to feel normal. Makes me wish I had never changed anything... I wonder if I'd still be in the same boat with all stock mounts.

I started with an 034 lower insert, after a year or so felt slop so I added CTS engine and tranny mounts (I believe these are pretty similar to the 034 ones, rubber, similar durometer, stock housings) and the car felt amazing for a couple weeks. Then I started getting a slight bucking/hiccup on throttle application. Into the winter season it just got worse and even started squeaking/clunking on shifts and momentum changes. Figured my dogbone insert had failed so I warrantied it and got a revised V2 and paired it with the 034 upper. Felt better but not perfect for about a week, but now I'm back to feeling like the engine is sloshing around in the bay on shifts and acceleration/braking. Still have the squeaking/clunking. So now I'm wondering if the CTS mounts are shit and I should go with the BFI. Or if it's something else altogether.

Sorry to write a book on your build thread but I haven't found a lot of other people on here with similar experince. I'm sensitive to NVH. I also essentially have stock power (no tune) but do have the Dinan unit. I drive pretty tame most of the time. Never launched the car or anything like that. It's just my daily driver.

I know it's been asked a million times, but from someone with a similar perspective and struggles... are you happy with the BFI mounts? Think it's worth another $300 for me to try that route?

Thanks

I have heard from many people that the CTS mounts suck.

And I know I followed up saying that the slop is back, but honestly I just think that the reason I felt the way I did is because of the staunch juxtaposition between faded/worn/shitty mounts and the incredible stiffness of freshly installed mounts. when the mounts settled/broke in, the return of *some* movement felt like something was wrong.

But now that I'm stage 1, and have 2 months on my new BFI S1 mounts + powerflex insert, I can confidently say that my current setup is pretty much perfect (for my needs). I can get some wheelhop over uneven surfaces, and when I just get on the throttle like it's an on/off switch. But when you learn to work with it, it really is a great compromise between performance and comfort.

So with that said - I would certainly suggest going BFI Stage 1. But remember proper install is uber important. The guy who installed mine runs his own small/independent euro performance shop. He had mine installed in approximately 1.25 hours, including the powerflex insert and a tire rotation to boot. And when I said "wow that was fast, are you sure you aligned it correctly?" he responded "I've done it over 100 times. practice makes perfect." lol. after 2 months on the setup, I know it was installed properly and I am *FINALLY* happy with my mount setup.

Now, my Uni S1+ tune pulls timing like a motherfucker in 2nd and third, around 4.5K or around 3.5K, respectively.

So now I have to log my car and see why I can't have a single strong pull without getting fall-on-your-face timing pull.

The mod bug is such a bitch. incoming intercooler install lol

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I have heard from many people that the CTS mounts suck.

LOL I think it must be true. :D

So it's warmed up here to 50-60 degrees and my clunk and squeak went away for the most part. The slop is still there but not as bad. I'm like 90% feeling it's the transmission mount that just performed horribly in the extreme cold. I shouldn't have bought the CTS in the first place but was looking to save money and they seemed similar to 034's rubber mounts. I also had an ECS polyurethane trans mount for a hot minute and absolutely hated it, so I think I was scared off from poly.

But it seems there are enough people who claim to be sensitive to NVH that give the BFI s1 mounts good reviews.

I'm tempted to do it, but a little nervous that in winter when all the squeaks and rattles and vibrations get worse, that poly mounts will be too harsh. Idk, I guess only one way to find out...

Anyway thanks for the feedback