GOLFMKV

First oil change - took 6.5 quarts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Did my first oil change at 3600 miles(didnt burn a drop btw). I was pleasantly surprised that over 6 quarts of oil drained and it took 6.5 quarts to fill up to the top. The user manual says it takes 5.75 quarts i believe.

I put 5.50 quarts in first, fired up the car for about a minute and re-measured only to find it just above the low mark. Added another quart to bring it up to the full mark.

Are you fellow mk7 folks experiencing this as well?

FYI, i lifted just the front up. Im guessing this drains it more thoroughly.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
5.7L or 6QTS is listed oil capacity. If you filled it up to the max line with the car cold and after starting it once to suck up oil into the filter, then you would have overfilled it. .5 QTS is no big deal, so don't worry about it.

You will notice if you take the level properly (get the car fully up to oil temp, turn off and wait 5 minutes), the level will be above max now. This is all listed in the owners manual as well.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
This is why I like extractors.

You see exactly what you pull out.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I've never put more than 5.5 liters back in, with 4 oil changes so far. And I will let the oil run/drip out for way longer than it needs to.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Every time I do a change I just drain it and throw in all 6 quarts from the case that Costco sells. When I check the level its perfect, so I am sure you fine.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
That's what I do. Don't over think this. It isn't difficult. 6 quarts, boom, you're done.

Yeah it was surprisingly easy on this car. Actually, its easier than any other car I have ever worked on (contrary to what everyone says about German cars). I had a NC Miata that hid the oil filter way up behind the front control arms behind a bunch of under-chassis braces. Every oil change was 10 minutes work and 30 minutes cleanup.

This car so far has been a dream to work on, something I did not expect when I bought it. I can have the DSG fluid and engine oil plus all filters changed in the time it takes to do an oil change on some other cars.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I put 5.50 quarts in first, fired up the car for about a minute and re-measured only to find it just above the low mark. Added another quart to bring it up to the full mark.
This statement is the key - how long did you wait after shutting off the engine to re-measure? If right away, there's a good bit of oil all over that has not yet drained back down to the oil sump. So re-measuring right after shutting off will always show low.

Once drained, fill it with the proper amount (shown in your owner's manual) and wait a couple minutes. Then measure. If it's full (it should be) then start the car and run it for 5 minutes and get the engine back up to operating temperature. Check for leaks and shut off the engine. Wait about 5 minutes while you clean up and put away your tools. THEN re-measure. Should still be full. If you think you need to add a bit more, add a little.

Next time you think about it (couple days later or on the next weekend) check it again. You should be good to go.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Are you fellow mk7 folks experiencing this as well?

No. I have never taken that much oil. I have done 5 oil changes since purchased. As stated when fluid expands with heat is when it should be measured. Overfilling will result in increasing oil pressure that can result in an oil leak. Get this sorted ASAP.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Changed mine last week; added 5.5qts, oil level was at high mark on dipstick. Ran the engine up to op-temp and then waited about 10 minutes for it to drain down, sure enough, it read .5qts low. Added the last half quart, and it's right where it should be.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Every time I do a change I just drain it and throw in all 6 quarts from the case that Costco sells. When I check the level its perfect, so I am sure you fine.

What case does your Costco sell? Mine never has anything for euro cars/502 spec, surprising since there’s tons of them in the Bay Area.

Edit: I never bothered to check their website, looks like that actually stock M1 0w-40 in some places, just not here, surprisingly. Never mind in any case though because they’re way more expensive than Wally World.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I found that checking level setting for a few minutes and overnight didn't make any appreciable change in reading. It may have been there if you carefully measured but no difference in just checking the level

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
No. I have never taken that much oil. I have done 5 oil changes since purchased. As stated when fluid expands with heat is when it should be measured. Overfilling will result in increasing oil pressure that can result in an oil leak. Get this sorted ASAP.

I actually do my oil changes when the engine has been sitting overnight or at least a few hours after it was last turned on. I've always done this on my last 3 cars and have noticed MORE measurable oil come out this way on every application. I think this explains why my car drained 6-6.5quarts and required about 6.5 to go back in.

This statement is the key - how long did you wait after shutting off the engine to re-measure? If right away, there's a good bit of oil all over that has not yet drained back down to the oil sump. So re-measuring right after shutting off will always show low.

Once drained, fill it with the proper amount (shown in your owner's manual) and wait a couple minutes. Then measure. If it's full (it should be) then start the car and run it for 5 minutes and get the engine back up to operating temperature. Check for leaks and shut off the engine. Wait about 5 minutes while you clean up and put away your tools. THEN re-measure. Should still be full. If you think you need to add a bit more, add a little.

Next time you think about it (couple days later or on the next weekend) check it again. You should be good to go.

I did the oil change in the driveway and then drove it into the garage to let it sit for a few hours, then added oil to the top line.

My takeaway from this oil change is that jacking up the front only and doing a cold oil change will drain more complete. Glad i was able to observe the drain behavior of this engine to get the most of the old oil out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.