GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

European Alpine 9" Infotainment...Will it work?

Arbco_Toyz

Did you have to purchase a new trim piece, can you list the part # if applicable?

Also, were there any other parts you had to purchase besides the box for the Fender audio?

Here is a list of all the parts I bought for my MK7
Kit-dvd-1g7 this is the bracket for the DVE-5300 to fit your glove box
X902D-G7 this is the unit with dash bezel and wiring
Apf-h100dy Fender intergration unit
Kae-f2gt5 Alpinr to mk7 gps ant adapter

random11

. In my case the Alpine i902D-G7 I purchased from a seller in Milan,

[*]Strangely, you can't set the time without the GPS antenna being plugged in

I plan on doing this as well. Before I order this unit, a couple of questions. I thought he "i" versions are without Nav, and the "x" versions are with Nav? If that's correct, why is there a GPS antenna at all, that you need to set the time? Is there an antenna in my 2015 GTI w Fender audio?

If I go with the i902, I only need the unit and the Apf-h100dy Fender intergration unit? Those two and I'm good to go? I want to have everything ready to go before I try to tackle this myself.

Last edited:

aameghoo

Passed Driver's Ed
I plan on doing this as well. Before I order this unit, a couple of questions. I thought he "i" versions are without Nav, and the "x" versions are with Nav? If that's correct, why is there a GPS antenna at all, that you need to set the time? Is there an antenna in my 2015 GTI w Fender audio?

If I go with the i902, I only need the unit and the Apf-h100dy Fender intergration unit? Those two and I'm good to go? I want to have everything ready to go before I try to tackle this myself.

GPS antenna is for time but also more importantly Android Auto/Carplay. You will need an adapter for the GPS if you plan on using the stock antenna. this is the one I ordered, it's a standard adapter.

If your car is MIB1 with no usb, you'll either need to order the stock MIB2 usb connector for the chubby hole, or order something like this. I choose that one since I didn't care about AUX but wanted to have the HDMI. Let me know if you need help picking a place to mount it

Apf-h100dy is required for fender amp integration. I don't have any experience with it though since I used my aftermarket amps and removed the fender amp

Oh, and one other question, does FM radio work on the Alpine? Might be a deal-breaker if not.

I can confirm FM still works. No AM or satellite though

random11

GPS antenna is for time but also more importantly Android Auto/Carplay.

At the risk of asking a really stupid question - do I have an antenna with my MIB1 without nav? If so, obv a $10 adapter is a must, if not, I'll just get Alpine's antenna. And I assumed the GPS for Carplay relied on the phone, I guess not? The whole point of this exercise is to get Android Auto/Carplay, so I'll get whatever needed on that front.
I choose that one since I didn't care about AUX but wanted to have the HDMI. Let me know if you need help picking a place to mount it
That looks perfect, where'd you put it?

Apf-h100dy is required for fender amp integration.

I can confirm FM still works. No AM or satellite though

Thanks - yes, I'm ordering that Fender thingy, and glad to know FM works! I don't care about AM and Satellite.
And did you do the install yourself? Debating if I can. I've done some simple installs, this seems less so.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

aameghoo

Passed Driver's Ed
At the risk of asking a really stupid question - do I have an antenna with my MIB1 without nav? If so, obv a $10 adapter is a must, if not, I'll just get Alpine's antenna. And I assumed the GPS for Carplay relied on the phone, I guess not? The whole point of this exercise is to get Android Auto/Carplay, so I'll get whatever needed on that front.

That looks perfect, where'd you put it?

Thanks - yes, I'm ordering that Fender thingy, and glad to know FM works! I don't care about AM and Satellite.
And did you do the install yourself? Debating if I can. I've done some simple installs, this seems less so.

Thanks again!

If you don't currently have NAV, I doubt you have a GPS antenna and would have no need for the adapter, I could be wrong though. Either way, the Alpine unit does include an antenna with it.

I cut a hole inside the storage cubby on the right hand side and mounted it there. I made the mistake of cutting the hole in the back but then there was not enough clearance to slide the cubby back in. I did use the extra hole to add another 12v plug so I could place a charger inside the cubby. I also ran the usb wire for android auto through there then out the side panel on the drivers side so I didn't have to leave the cubby door open to use Android Auto. See below for pictures, don't mind the dirt lol, was waiting to finish before a thorough cleaning.

I did the install myself, especially since I had experience doing doing all the audio on my past 3 cars. The Alpine unit honestly wasn't too bad, definitely suggest taking your time. This video was extremely helpful, along with the wiring diagram on their website in the support section. It personally took me a lot longer though since I added 2 active crossovers and 3 aftermarket amps instead of using my fender amp

Attachments

• carplay usb jpeg.jpg
    carplay usb jpeg.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 896
  • USB mounting jpeg.jpg
    USB mounting jpeg.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 908

random11

OK,

So given that it's getting cold here in NYC, and the fact that I haven't tried an install this involved (just done some basic radio swaps here and there, I don't have the requisite skills really), so I went to my local Best Buy to do the install, and the quoted price is certainly fair. I just got a call from the guy, while I'm here at work, and he is stuck. Unit will not power/light up at all. Even if we don't connect anything besides power/acc/ground, it should still light up, no? As in, have I got a dud? Frankly, that seems unlikely, car audio systems do tend to be pretty damn robust.

Secondly, installer did mention that many of the connectors/connections were different, and he was struggling with that. Does this sound right? From the descriptions of you guys here, seems like that shouldn't really be the case.

So I dunno. I contacted the seller, I assume it's the same guy in Italy that other people have used, and it is a proper shop, so if it's dead I hope it'll be fine, we shall see.

OtterlyClueless

I have my doubts about it being a dud. Those sorts of things are extremely rare.

There's no way for me this troubleshoot without getting in there to see the connections. The installation is not terribly straight forward. It took me the better part of two weekends because I was back and fourth on the computer looking stuff up to try to better understand the system.

random11

I have my doubts about it being a dud. Those sorts of things are extremely rare.

There's no way for me this troubleshoot without getting in there to see the connections. The installation is not terribly straight forward. It took me the better part of two weekends because I was back and fourth on the computer looking stuff up to try to better understand the system.

Yeah, I agree about it not being a dud, like I said, these things tend to be very robust, it'd be strange if it was just dead. I probably should've told him to leave it as is, and I'll deal with it, but he really seemed to want it back to stock, probably to make sure he hasn't harmed something. So, I don't know, I don't have a garage, I don't feel like spending weekends in the cold doing this. Might have to go to a more professional install place.

Anyway, just to be clear, I should be fine with the Alpine unit, the Apf-h100dy Fender intergration unit and the Kae-f2gt5 adapter, and this cable?

And that cable will connect to the Alpine directly? I shouldn't need anything else, correct?

Thanks for any and all help, really excited (and now slightly disappointed) at the prospect of CarPlay in the GTI!

random11

To top it all off - I just picked up my car at Best Buy, and the airbag lights are on. Awesome. I don’t think the unit is a dud - the installer is a dud. This is going to get expensive. Grrrr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Sorry to hear the install has gotten sideways, but why on earth would anyone let a monkey at Best Buy attempt a complex install like this? Kinda like going to Jiffy Lube for an engine rebuild.

Find a guy at some high end audio shop who knows what he's doing - somebody who does installs in exotics. Won't be cheap, but will still cost less in the long run than letting someone destroy the unit and your car. Good luck!

random11

why on earth would anyone let a monkey at Best Buy attempt a complex install like this?

Find a guy at some high end audio shop who knows what he's doing - somebody who does installs in exotics.

So yes, obviously you're right. The damn place is right by my house, and I just assumed they'd be capable. Initially I was going to do this myself, but given cold weather and lack of garage, it just wasn't going to happen.

The most stupid thing is that I have used a really good audio shop in the past, they're just a bit far, so I opted for cheap and lazy, and I got what I deserved. I'm fighting with BestBuy about refunding the money. If not for the f'ing airbag light, I'd let it go, the guy did spend a lot of time on it. Alas, now I have to decide if I try myself after all or not.

aameghoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, I'm 100% certain the best buy guy had no idea what he was doing. The actual install of the alpine unit only took me about 2-3 hours. I did a lot of research though and watched that install video I posted a few times, so I was pretty familiar with what I had to do before I even received the unit.

The reason your airbag light is on is because the battery was still connected when he disconnected the hazards/airbag light module between the vents. I think the only way to clear that is to get the dealership to clear it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

aameghoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Y

Anyway, just to be clear, I should be fine with the Alpine unit, the Apf-h100dy Fender intergration unit and the Kae-f2gt5 adapter, and this cable?

And that cable will connect to the Alpine directly? I shouldn't need anything else, correct?

Yeah that's all you need, even the Kae-f2gt5 adapter is only needed if you have a factory GPS antenna and plan on using it instead of the one included with the Alpine system.

I really doubt this was a dud. Seems like this was over the best buy guy's head. I think I would have struggled with this too if someone asked me to do it on the spot. I think a combination of doing weeks of research and my technical background made it smooth for me, especially the research. I always make sure I fully understand something before I do it.

It sucks that you're so far away because I'd be more than willing to help you out because it really wasn't that bad

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk