GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger under-seat storage drawer

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
For the dipping kerbside mirror, you need to set this up before it will work;

Turn on ignition, but don't start the engine.
Select reverse gear.
Select the nearside mirror on the mirror control knob on the driver’s door (turn it to ‘L’)
Adjust passenger side mirror so you can see the kerb.
Take car out of reverse gear and return to neutral, or ‘P’ if your car is DSG.

The nearside mirror should now be set to dip so you can see the kerb each time you select reverse, provided you leave the mirror adjustment knob set to ‘L’. Mirror will return to the normal position when you either (a) drive forward and reach a predetermined speed, which I think is 10 mph or (b) remove the ignition key.

If your mirrors are iced over or misty, you’ll need to move the mirror adjustment knob to the heating position. While your mirror heating is functioning, you’ll temporarily loose the dipping mirror function as the adjustment knob needs to be in the ‘L’ position for this to work.

I followed those instructions, but I'm afraid I could not get the mirror to dip.

We went in to the local VW outlet today to ask about that, and also our difficulties in connecting to Car Net and one or two other things.

The VW salesman had a go at making the mirror-dip work and he couldn't manage it either. He then went to seek advice from someone else, who informed him that the mirror will only return to normal after we have driven forward up to 15mph. We had to leave then and, of course, tried it out but unfortunately it still didn't perform, so we shall be taking it back in on the assumption that there is a fault.

Admittedly, it is not an enormous problem, but when you pay a lot of money for something you expect it to work properly.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
JBR, agree it’s not an enormous problem but if your car is fitted with the dipping kerbside mirror (I think all mk7.5 golf models have it as standard, apart from the entry level ‘S’ model) and it doesn’t work, then the dealer needs to rectify this for you.

Hope you get it sorted soon. It’s just a hassle having to go back to the dealer to get these little niggles put right.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
With my car I thought is was not working untill with engine on I stuck it in reverse and used controls to dip the mirror the then left control in L position. Then it started working.also check it's Activated in car menu

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
With my car I thought is was not working untill with engine on I stuck it in reverse and used controls to dip the mirror the then left control in L position. Then it started working.also check it's Activated in car menu

Yes, it is activated in the car menu. I checked that.

Perhaps I can try doing it with the engine running, although that's contrary to what the handbook states.

Germarican

They’re easy to spot. They’re actually torx head screws rather than bolts. There are two of them and they’re aluminium coloured.

I’m assuming VW sell one that does fit. If they do, it’s likely to be more expensive than one you could buy off eBay though!
There is a spot for the warning triangle on the rear hatch. They cost about $30.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
For the dipping kerbside mirror, you need to set this up before it will work;

Turn on ignition, but don't start the engine.
Select reverse gear.
Select the nearside mirror on the mirror control knob on the driver’s door (turn it to ‘L’)
Adjust passenger side mirror so you can see the kerb.
Take car out of reverse gear and return to neutral, or ‘P’ if your car is DSG.

The nearside mirror should now be set to dip so you can see the kerb each time you select reverse, provided you leave the mirror adjustment knob set to ‘L’. Mirror will return to the normal position when you either (a) drive forward and reach a predetermined speed, which I think is 10 mph or (b) remove the ignition key.

If your mirrors are iced over or misty, you’ll need to move the mirror adjustment knob to the heating position. While your mirror heating is functioning, you’ll temporarily loose the dipping mirror function as the adjustment knob needs to be in the ‘L’ position for this to work.

Thank you for this, and I apologise for not seeing it sooner.

We went through this exact procedure a couple of times and the mirror still doesn't dip. Although we followed the procedure, and drove for a time afterwards, with the knob pointed to 'L', we routinely leave it pointing to the heater symbol as advised by the VW seller who assured us that the heater would not operate unless needed. I don't know whether that's correct, though.

We shall probably mention this (and the non-functioning Car Net) when we take the car in for its first service next March, though we can live without these facilities.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
we routinely leave it pointing to the heater symbol as advised by the VW seller who assured us that the heater would not operate unless needed. I don't know whether that's correct, though.

According to the manual, the mirror defrosters come on at temperatures below 60-something degrees F (can't remember the exact temp). However, they will come on whether they are needed or not. You can verify that they are on by looking at the Energy Consumers section of the Car menu in the infotainment unit.

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
According to the manual, the mirror defrosters come on at temperatures below 60-something degrees F (can't remember the exact temp). However, they will come on whether they are needed or not. You can verify that they are on by looking at the Energy Consumers section of the Car menu in the infotainment unit.

Thanks for that. I think we'll probably leave it at that setting, at least unless we need to do something else, as it can't use that much energy at least with the engine running. Presumably, they wouldn't heat up without the engine running.