GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel filter

Isaac

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys just wanted to know if it is a hard job to change the diesel filter, I am confident doing a few bits and pieces. I’m not sure if I’m out of my level not being a mechanic. Any advice guys any error codes. Any advice much appreciated thanks guys.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Not difficult, just be careful to not get any dirt in the canister. Clean off the lid before removing it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Guys just wanted to know if it is a hard job to change the diesel filter, I am confident doing a few bits and pieces. I’m not sure if I’m out of my level not being a mechanic. Any advice guys any error codes. Any advice much appreciated thanks guys.

Easy peasy job, you just need some Torx bits, a torque wrench, a ratchet, an old rag, a dish, a new filter, and VCDS to purge the air out (not strictly required but definitely recommended).

MattK1

Easy peasy job, you just need some Torx bits, a torque wrench, a ratchet, an old rag, a dish, a new filter, and VCDS to purge the air out (not strictly required but definitely recommended).

I need to do mine as well after finding out it’s not been done in the past 6 years. I’ve not got a VCDS but think I’ll risk it anyway, that’s the way most people seem to do it.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I need to do mine as well after finding out it’s not been done in the past 6 years. I’ve not got a VCDS but think I’ll risk it anyway, that’s the way most people seem to do it.

Some people say just turning the ignition on and off a few times to prime the fuel pump will be enough.

Isaac

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys would it be correct to have the filter filled with fuel assemble it all back together doing a nice clean job and then try firing it up a few times. It’s not going to start coughing is it?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Guys would it be correct to have the filter filled with fuel assemble it all back together doing a nice clean job and then try firing it up a few times. It’s not going to start coughing is it?

If you've got some clean diesel handy, top the filter housing up and that gets rid of most of the air.

It might cough for the first few attempts at starting if you're not purging the air but it'll be fine.

bertj

Ready to race!
Out of interest - there used to be a drain point on older VW diesel fuel filters so any water that collected in the filter could be drained off. Why is this no longer needed, I wonder?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Out of interest - there used to be a drain point on older VW diesel fuel filters so any water that collected in the filter could be drained off. Why is this no longer needed, I wonder?

It's uncommon to find water in there these days, so there's no drain plug.