GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Early problems with 2017 1.4 TSI

Zeixn

I bought a 1.4 TSI SE Nav around 3 weeks ago from a VW dealer and so far it has had quite a few problems, anyone experienced anything similar?

Starting to lose faith at the minute as it seems the previous owner didn't treat it well in the one year they had it.

• ParkPilot button stuck in when pressed, feels very stiff compared to the buttons on the other side (Start/Stop, Driving Mode)
  • Brakes sound like they're scraping metal to metal when slowing down, dealer said it was because it had been stood for a few weeks after being cleaned daily and would wear off after a while, 3 weeks later and still hasn't
  • Anything over 60 seems to make the car really shake quite a bit, not any particular part, the whole car like you're in a high gear at low speed and about to stall, also the brakes are very inconsistent, the same pressure applied can slow you down smoothly then I will start to jolt a bit as it slows me down quick then slow, and repeats. I'm keeping the same amount of pressure on the brakes, but it slows you down at different paces.
  • Touchscreen has a feint line across it vertically which I’m not sure what this is as there’s no scratches on it but definitely doesn’t seem right, like a dead pixel on a screen but in a row

I know a lot of these problems aren't major, but the early warning signs that I might have future problems are there. As much as I love the car, it’s making me think the previous owner(s) didn’t exactly take care of it particularly well (especially with the brakes) and making me want to get rid of it whilst I still can.

Anyone had any dealings with VW in situations like these or experienced anything similar with a new-ish Golf?

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
I bought a 1.4 TSI SE Nav around 3 weeks ago from a VW dealer and so far it has had quite a few problems, anyone experienced anything similar?

Starting to lose faith at the minute as it seems the previous owner didn't treat it well in the one year they had it.

• ParkPilot button stuck in when pressed, feels very stiff compared to the buttons on the other side (Start/Stop, Driving Mode)
  • Brakes sound like they're scraping metal to metal when slowing down, dealer said it was because it had been stood for a few weeks after being cleaned daily and would wear off after a while, 3 weeks later and still hasn't
  • Anything over 60 seems to make the car really shake quite a bit, not any particular part, the whole car like you're in a high gear at low speed and about to stall, also the brakes are very inconsistent, the same pressure applied can slow you down smoothly then I will start to jolt a bit as it slows me down quick then slow, and repeats. I'm keeping the same amount of pressure on the brakes, but it slows you down at different paces.
  • Touchscreen has a feint line across it vertically which I’m not sure what this is as there’s no scratches on it but definitely doesn’t seem right, like a dead pixel on a screen but in a row

I know a lot of these problems aren't major, but the early warning signs that I might have future problems are there. As much as I love the car, it’s making me think the previous owner(s) didn’t exactly take care of it particularly well (especially with the brakes) and making me want to get rid of it whilst I still can.

Anyone had any dealings with VW in situations like these or experienced anything similar with a new-ish Golf?

Is it a MK7.5 facelifted model?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sticky button. Prior owner could have spilled something. Could try and spray with electrical cleaner.

Brakes, replace pads, have discs turned or replace.

What condition are tires in?
Balance tires as mentioned.
Have them check rims for bent.
How about alignment.

Screen. Talk to VW.

I would not worry about car. Maybe prior owner and how they drove and treated car.
Some normal items with used car.

Did you get to test drive? These issues noticed in the drive?

Zeixn

Sticky button. Prior owner could have spilled something. Could try and spray with electrical cleaner.

Brakes, replace pads, have discs turned or replace.

What condition are tires in?
Balance tires as mentioned.
Have them check rims for bent.
How about alignment.

Screen. Talk to VW.

I would not worry about car. Maybe prior owner and how they drove and treated car.
Some normal items with used car.

Did you get to test drive? These issues noticed in the drive?

I've booked the car in with VW to look over everything I detailed here so hopefully they can get any problems sorted. They are minor issues, but if it's under warranty I might as well get them to look at it.

I get that some stuff is normal with used cars, but the thing that made me question previous owners was that the brake discs have worn down to metal after less than a year.

Tyres are in good condition, I checked everything over before I bought it, including the test drive up to 50mph on a dual carriageway.

Thanks for the suggestions.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Brakes..pad deposits...which cause the juddering & inconsistent feel..most people wrongly diagnose warped discs...

Also the slot/grooves on the bracket for the pad ears need greasing with high temp grease as the pads stick in the grooves...front face of disc might look all ok...rear face can be fubar...mine has done this & I don't use the car that much..

sometimes a few high speed to full stop braking can sort it out....but eventually you will need all new..