GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dash Cam Hardwire tips – MK7 2017 GTI

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Thank you for this how-to! I installed a Rexing V1 with their $10 hard-wire kit using this guide. The only thing I wasn't expecting was the terrible 3M mounting tape for the camera to the windshield that Rexing included with the camera. In the hot and humid Ohio weather, the mount started sliding and leaving a gooey black snail trail down my windshield. After a few days of it falling off, I ordered some 30lb Gorilla mounting tape, and it's been fine ever since.

Glad it was helpful to you. The 3m VHB tape that came with my A119 has held strong in CA heat w/o issue.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Got my aukey cam a few weeks ago and wired it to the arm rest. Pushed it into the molding on the windshield, then the pillar going down to the dash. Then the weather stripping down the door and under the seat. Worked great becuese they supply a 4 foot usb. Glad I didn't have to do any hard wiring. That shit annoys me I feel like I always mess something up lol all in all the install looks really good. The mk7 surprisingly makes the wire hiding great.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
edit* - does anyone else have trouble hiding the wires at the A pillar section. I have 2 wires (dash cam and radar detector) and I can't get the A pillar top clip to clipon anymore... Looks like this

https://imgur.com/a/LrIwWmx

I know this is old, but that's an unsafe way to route the wiring. You're going over the curtain airbag there. Pop the a pillar housing out part way, roll back the door weatherstripping and fish it behind the airbag. Will also hide easier that way!

LurpyGeek

Passed Driver's Ed
I know this is old, but that's an unsafe way to route the wiring. You're going over the curtain airbag there. Pop the a pillar housing out part way, roll back the door weatherstripping and fish it behind the airbag. Will also hide easier that way!

A tip to do this...

I tied a small zip tie around the wire. That allowed me to push the tail of the zip tie behind the air bag, pull the wire through and then clip the tie off.

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
I hate to necro the thread, but I found a very useful pic online at the VWVortex forums for those trying to hardwire their camera but already have a boost gauge installed.
I had already soldered my fuse taps onto my wires (my G35 only used the small normal fuses) and wasn't going to get a larger fuse tap, unsolder the old one, and solder the new one on.

Credit to tonipepperoni77 on VWV for this picture - as you will notice the bottom left fuse tap is for the boost gauge and it is in the 7.5A fuse. The yellow wire is actually in the 3rd fuse spot from the top left which was empty in my car. The ACC red wire for the camera is in the far right 10A fuse in the bottom row.

Hope this helps!

Also, I didn't end up popping the entire a pillar off to route the wire for the dash cam. I went from camera > front of headliner > iPhone lightning cable (i.e. dull tool) to tuck/shove the wire in between the A pillar and headliner where the two meet > weather stripping > 1cm exposed > side panel > fuses.

Attachments

• 299d379e6663328b667caaf25b17fa7f.jpg
    299d379e6663328b667caaf25b17fa7f.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 252
Last edited: