GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Summer driving AZ or NV

arizonagti1

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2016 gti with a jb4. Had it for three years and in the summer I notice our cars become slugs. Starts to pull timing like crazy. Is everyone out here experiencing this?

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Mine was like that in the summer. Installed an APR intercooler and never had that problem again.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
^ same. APR IC in NV 115F yesterday. IATs stay much closer to ambient when I get on it. But ambient is still like a furnace out here, lol.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
What's your feeling on blending some E85? Do you have it down by the river there? I've read in this forum guys having good success dialing in their JB4 with added ethanol to achieve cooler cylinder temps and less timing pull from octane. If that's an option, it might be a less invasive route to go.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I have a 2016 gti with a jb4. Had it for three years and in the summer I notice our cars become slugs. Starts to pull timing like crazy. Is everyone out here experiencing this?

Add a water/meth system, nothing cools like it. You can lower air temps well below ambient. Can't do that with an air to air intercooler no matter how big it is. Having said that, I do run both an APR intercooler and water/meth 100+ degree days and still have power like I do in Fall or Winter.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Best we have is 100 octane. No ethanol that I know of around here. I'd have to drive to Vegas.
Much the same for Vegas lately. Arco would carry it regular last year but the well has dried up so to speak. I'd have to drive to North Vegas Murphy's but rather take a slight power loss. On the upside, these VW's surprise me with how well the a/c in this heat.

arizonagti1

Passed Driver's Ed
The ac does work super well. It got to 117 the other day and that ac came in handy. I'm been researching different intercoolers and clutches because I want to start nodding. I've looked all over the forums to see what other people have gotten. So much information I'm torn. I want to do Jake's fmic. Either dkm pr southbend clutch. Then from there get some power down. The problem is I'm not super car savvy. So some of the technical information I read here I dont really understand.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
The problem is I'm not super car savvy. So some of the technical information I read here I dont really understand.

You are not the only one, don’t worry, just ask what you need, 90% of people on the forum are great helpers.:)

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I've had good success running 3 gallons of e85 per tank. Running catless DP and JB4 with 24PSI peak boost in 100+ average temps in AZ. makes the ar smell better too.