GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Show Us Your Intake!

Frenchyfromfl

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R DSG
Update... for those like me with 2018 DSG model with start/stop option, this intake will not fit. We have a bigger battery that won't ellow enough room for it.
S&B finaly confirmed today that I would need to return it for a refund.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Then what’s the point of s&b intake vs afe drop in filter

There are gains, but not very much. If you are stock id say F it. But at stage 2 power levels, if you already have a dp and ic, AND your trying to squeeze out last few ponies go for it. Id be willing to say a efficient closed after market intake with bigger intake box/filter wider opening for intake tube will net you 7-9 whp over100% stock. And vs a drop in filter? Maybe only 3-4 whp. Hard to say. If your making 350 wtq with a drop in, then you make 354 wtq with full intake, probably not going to feel that shit. If I were to be honest to a fault, id say save money drop a filter in there, remove snow gate call it a day. For me I wanted every last pony i can get, and if I go bigger turbo in near future, want as much air flow i can get.

Johnswarley

Ok that makes sense from the intake point of view, but why would VW leave this open? Would this drive up engine temps by sealing it off? The piece is designed for another engine, not ours. Just curious, not debating that it helps with intake flow.

The rear opening is required for Engine cooling. DO NOT block it off. At highway speeds the pressure differences allow cool air to pass over the top of the engine to the turbo. Feel free to cut the plastic in front of the air box, but adding mesh is recommended to keep birds out of your air box.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
The rear opening is required for Engine cooling. DO NOT block it off. At highway speeds the pressure differences allow cool air to pass over the top of the engine to the turbo. Feel free to cut the plastic in front of the air box, but adding mesh is recommended to keep birds out of your air box.
Have you logged temps? A few here have and didn't see a significant difference.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

thez99

Go Kart Champion
Yea I'm not quite sure that's correct either, as the VWR600 has front open, back closed scoops on their custom intake piece. Doubt they'd make it that way if it was inherently damaging the engine

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
^^The Forge, closed Injen, and the closed ECS intakes also use a "snorkel" part of the intake blocked off as well.

whoops.. mine is blocked off. Engine temps were the same as always all summer long.
Yeah I have mine blocked off as well all throughout summer, my temps never exceeded 112C on the hottest days. I will continue to monitor the oil temps throughout the year but I'm not really worried.

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Yea I'm not quite sure that's correct either, as the VWR600 has front open, back closed scoops on their custom intake piece. Doubt they'd make it that way if it was inherently damaging the engine

As do the closed Forge and Injen intakes. As well as other products that replace that top cowl piece. No?

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion

ogrisker

Ready to race!
Mine. LOVE IT!!!

Attachments

• 20181106_091534-01.jpeg
    20181106_091534-01.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 806

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
My new Mexico set up.

Is38 wheel to APR TIP to APR CF inlet pipe to APR intake to Air Scoop red and carbon fiber. Sounds great

Attachments

• IMG_20190116_120442.jpg
    IMG_20190116_120442.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 767