GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Lol.

I’m running out of brake with the paint still on. Have no idea what brake performance will be if i roasted the paint.

Not sure why one side runs hotter than the other....?

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Lol.

I’m running out of brake with the paint still on. Have no idea what brake performance will be if i roasted the paint.

Not sure why one side runs hotter than the other....?

Haven't looked closely but are the vanes directional? People with the Clubsport S discs have apparently experienced hotter brakes on one side due to this and there being no left and right disc.

Or could be calliper sticking

Or XDS braking the inside wheel

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Single piston floating calipers don't center themselves very well and that contributes to uneven wear, especially if the slider pins and/or surfaces aren't well lubed. They especially suck if the pad wear begins to taper, which misaligns the caliper with the pins and elevates the wear rate.

The paint comment is from the Mk6 calipers, after first session on R888 and new pads i came into the paddock and the brakes were smoking... mostly paint, but also the dust boots...

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Had an awesome weekend with PCA Zone 2 at VIR.

https://youtu.be/fzyN7yPQ1HU

I installed my 330x32 PowerBrake BBK a couple days before my DE. Great quality BBK. Super easy install. Everything fit perfectly. I will post pictures of the install later. Long story short, I shaved 2seconds off my time at VIR. The brakes were awesome right to the end of the 30-min sessions. I was setting very consistent laptimes which I’m most happy about.

I’m down to a 2:17.18 with a virtual best of 2:16.09

R Golf

Go Kart Champion

I installed my 330x32 PowerBrake BBK a couple days before my DE. Great quality BBK. Super easy install. Everything fit perfectly. I will post pictures of the install later. Long story short, I shaved 2seconds off my time at VIR. The brakes were awesome right to the end of the 30-min sessions. I was setting very consistent laptimes which I’m most happy about.

Very nice driving. Real consistent lines.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

Great job man!

Out of curiosity, what alignment are you running?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Thanks guys.

This was my most consistent session in terms of lap times.
https://youtu.be/E4mAxqq99ho

That 911 Turbo absolutely smoked me down the straights.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Great job man!

Out of curiosity, what alignment are you running?

-2 degrees up front with zero toe
-1.8 degrees with a little toe in at the rear

replicate

Go Kart Newbie

Wow 2s improvement from better brakes is money very well spent. Especially if they are lasting a whole session. Well done!
I may need to get me one of these later in the year after my current season is done.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
-2 degrees up front with zero toe
-1.8 degrees with a little toe in at the rear

I just got a new alignment today from a shop that actually sets up race cars. He somehow manage to extract -2.2deg (2deg 12min) from the front (remember I only have CSS spindles nothing else)
He set 3deg total toe out up front
Left camber at 1.75deg at the rear with zero toe.

I’ll see how it goes tomorrow at the track.

I have a FK8 Type R in my category now and an Alpha Romeo 4C to contend with. The Civic driver also drives open wheelers. So no mug.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Hah! Your Clubsport will turn in well with that alignment.

I’m carrying speed deeper into the front and rear straight brake zone. No fade issues anymore. Consistently pulling .9g on the brakes. Occasionally seeing 1-1.1g on my 300tw tires, so there is still a little bit of untapped brake performance for me to extract. Stickier rubber will also shave more time on the brakes and all round the track for that matter.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I just got a new alignment today from a shop that actually sets up race cars. He somehow manage to extract -2.2deg (2deg 12min) from the front (remember I only have CSS spindles nothing else)
He set 3deg total toe out up front
Left camber at 1.75deg at the rear with zero toe.

I’ll see how it goes tomorrow at the track.

I have a FK8 Type R in my category now and an Alpha Romeo 4C to contend with. The Civic driver also drives open wheelers. So no mug.

3 deg toe out??? That's insane...
That's over a half inch out per side! You sure that's right?

I tried an 1/8th out and the car was all over the place at the end of straights. I tried 1/16th next and things got better, but braking from 120+ was still sketchy. Went to 0, and now things are more consistent and not as sketchy. Based on what I felt at 1/8th, I wouldn't even mess with 1.3" total toe. Not to mention the tire wear would be crazy.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
3 deg toe out??? That's insane...
That's over a half inch out per side! You sure that's right?

I tried an 1/8th out and the car was all over the place at the end of straights. I tried 1/16th next and things got better, but braking from 120+ was still sketchy. Went to 0, and now things are more consistent and not as sketchy. Based on what I felt at 1/8th, I wouldn't even mess with 1.3" total toe. Not to mention the tire wear would be crazy.

1.5 per side. To be honest I can’t remner if he said degrees or millimeters.

Drove on the track today with the new alignment. First time with the extra camber. Shaved a second off last years time on the same tyres so quite pleased. Plenty more in it too. Wasn’t faster than the FK8 though :(