GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best interior dash cleaner

ejs4

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

What cleaning products/methods would you use to clean dash/cockpit?

I do not like the silicone sprays due to the oil finish it leaves and can leave marks.

I also do not like anything with a strong scent.

Also interested in what the best method is to clean fabric seats?

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Chemical guys inner clean

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I've been using this stuff and I spray it on pretty much everything...

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/interior+cleaner.do

I'm not sure if there is a scent...if there is it is not strong enough for me to even recall it.
Also does not leave stuff all shiny and greasy looking.

Last edited:

GTI_Guy13

Passed Driver's Ed
I use both Mequiars Quick Interior detailer and Adam's Polish Interior Detailer. Both products have a pleasant but light scent. They do a great job of cleaning off the dust and grime while leaving a clean, but matte finish. They don't leave the dash overly greasy or oily which is why I use them.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I've been using this stuff and I spray it on pretty much everything...

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/interior+cleaner.do

I'm not sure if there is a scent...if there is it is not strong enough for me to even recall it.
Also does not leave stuff all shiny and greasy looking.

I also use this and enjoy it. No scent that I can detect and no oily residue. Picked it up at the local Advanced Auto on sale sometime last year and will last me a really long time.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
^found that to be a better UV protectant, rather than a cleaner. I use either AMMO lather or Einzett cokpit premium.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Also about the cockpit premium. Bought it frost from amazon, then another one, and the second one didn’t smell the same work the same or when poured into a glass, look the same. When I returned it they didn’t want it back, had no issue refunding. So keep eyes and nose open for imposter products.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I'm probably in the extreme minority here, but as someone with a chemistry background and knowledge of the marketing that goes into these products, I'm somewhat of a luddite when it comes to chemical products. Most products are snake oil. I prefer to keep things simple. I clean my dash and fabrics with warm water or water with about 20% ethanol/propanol. I mix it myself. I can't stand any product that leaves a residue (as do most). Another benefit of 20% alcohol is that it kills germs, so wiping things like door handles, switches, etc cuts down on transmittable germs.

I would NOT recommend alcohol for leather, as it will leach out the natural oils (if there are any left after manufacturing) but for everything else, I would. Even windows.

I know there are very few people who will agree with me, but that's okay with me.

I also don't believe in UV coatings. If you have tint, you're already blocking most UV.

Last edited:

Hans

Ready to race!
One downside I've experienced using interior products, even non-greasy ones, is that they seem to cause out-gassing or filming on the window interior surfaces. Maybe I'll give the Griots or the simple water and alcohol mix a shot. I mainly use a MF towel damped with water.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
303 Aerospace works fantastic and protects forever. I use it inside and outside the car. Best stuff I've ever used.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Only issue on 303 I find is on exterior it washes away quick.

Never had that issue. I still see a sheen of brightness on all my grill, rear valence and mirror surrounds after 6 months. Are you using the regular or marine variety. I use the marine and it stays on forever. Never tried the standard, not sure there is even a difference.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YI72TS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0185PU4C0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The marine version (top) are more expensive.