GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any chance I can fit 245/40/18 on Stock?

Slow4

Passed Driver's Ed
I know I'm grasping at straws here, but I have such a nice set of blizzaks that I'd love to keep using. Any chance they'll go on the stock set? Car is a 2017 GTI PP

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
I do not recommend it. You'd probably be wasting the tires on our wheels not even 8 inches wide

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
The 245/40R18 blizzaks are recommended on 8-9.5" wheels. You're not that far outside that, so the tires will fit the wheels fine.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
They might “fit fine”, but snow tires are sensitive to correct wheel width, the tire must have a flat contact patch with the road. You are ALWAYS better off going minus one or minus two on snow tire sizing.........I have been driving on snowy roads over fifty years. The ability to get from one place to another is great.......but the ability to do it safely with you and your loved ones? Don’t cheap out on getting a dedicated winter set up. It amazes me still people with 25-40K cars will cheap out on the tire which is the single contact you have with the road!

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
PS, when someone comments on a snow tire fitment and they are from Tallahassee.....?
I am from Maine, we actually do have snow! Tonight, 3-6” of snow, sleet, freezing rain. I will not hesitate to go out in it. Alltrack with Hakkepellita R9 studded on a set of winter wheels, like a TANK!

H

Huntermike

The 245/40R18 blizzaks are recommended on 8-9.5" wheels. You're not that far outside that, so the tires will fit the wheels fine.

They may "fit" but I don't think you understand the safety and liability of not following the rules of the industry. They are not guidelines.

When I ran a tire shop in the 90's one trend was the lowrider look with wide 13" wheels. Guys would buy 155/80R13 tires and want them mounted. I always refused. It didn't have the load capacity and seating the beads was near impossible. Then people wanted big mudder tires on their stock trucks. Again, no responsible tire shop will install these for liability reasons.

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
They may "fit" but I don't think you understand the safety and liability of not following the rules of the industry. They are not guidelines.

When I ran a tire shop in the 90's one trend was the lowrider look with wide 13" wheels. Guys would buy 155/80R13 tires and want them mounted. I always refused. It didn't have the load capacity and seating the beads was near impossible. Then people wanted big mudder tires on their stock trucks. Again, no responsible tire shop will install these for liability reasons.
I'm not saying that it's ideal, but they will work. This isn't stretch, lateral grip won't unseat the beads. The worst that happens is some extra play at the limit of grip. Nothing that will make these unsafe.

And I've been in the industry my entire adult life.

Swoope

Ready to race!
this is silly,

as dedicated snow tires, are not like 80tw tires. they are not optimal. but will be just fine..

god, i swear people really need to get over the 10% of what the internet says.

i speak as of this. i am crazy out of control running 245 45 17 200tw tires on 17x8 inch wheels. i am still fast!

beers

Last edited:
H

Huntermike

I'm not saying that it's ideal, but they will work. This isn't stretch, lateral grip won't unseat the beads. The worst that happens is some extra play at the limit of grip. Nothing that will make these unsafe.

As I mentioned, it's a liability. Lawyers are sniffing for this thing.

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
As I mentioned, it's a liability. Lawyers are sniffing for this thing.
So whose lawyers would be sniffing here? It's not like this is a tire help forum for shops. I would steer clear of that as leisure, because that's how some of my customers treat my cell phone during business hours.

Swoope

Ready to race!
just reading this again.

why would you want 245 wide snow tires? on a car that weighs ~3k pounds.

beers

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
I guess it depends on the offset of the wheel, but does anyone run a 255 on these cars. I will be getting a 8.5” width wheel and would like to run a 255 tire. I don’t plan on lowering the car. Would I run into issues wth a 255 on stock DCC suspension?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner