GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
You run the stock clutch on that? Wow. I would have thought you had some issues with it by this point. Also great driving!

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
You run the stock clutch on that? Wow. I would have thought you had some issues with it by this point. Also great driving!

I’m still on stock power.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Titanium heat shields huh? Are these simply titanium shims for heat dispersion?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
It helps reduce the heat transfer from the rotor/pad to the brake fluid.

I added new temp strips to my calipers to see whether it made a difference.

So I had a weird long pedal situation after I installed the ti heat shields. Not sure if I created some sort of airlock in the brake lines when I pushed the caliper piston back to get the ti plates in( I did not crack a bleed screw or remove the master cylinder cap) I bled the brakes twice and also then flushed with another fresh bottle of Castro’s SRF. The brakes still bit hard but only after 1.5 additional inches of travel. Very disconcerting at the track. I had to double pump the pedal when heading into the brake zone. The long pedal made trail braking difficult. The pedal has improved after each session but it still not as firm or high as I would like.

Any suggestions folks?

I have purchased a set of Spielgler stainless brake lines from Essex Parts. And I’m contemplating getting the ABS pump bled. The master cylinder did not run empty.

What am I missing?

Master Cylinder issue? I do not have any obvious leaks and I’m not losing fluid from the reservoir.

I have not bled the clutch line? Not sure how much this would impact brake pedal travel...?

Having said all that, I still shaved 9/10’s off my fastest time at VIR and had consistent lap times when I had clear track in my last session.

Swoope

Ready to race!
likely system not bleed completely.

i ran sebring short course a few weeks ago. stock fluid stock rear pads and porterfield r4 front pads. had no issues. reason i mention this is that stock fluid, and system has never been opened.. ambient temp was in the 90s.

the short course is ~2 mile long and has two 110+ to about 40 mph braking zones.

beers

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I didn’t open the system either when installing the ti shields and had a terrible pedal.

It doesn’t make sense. What I did should not have created the long pedal issue. The system was bled twice afterwards, the pedal improved but it’s still not 100%.

That’s why I’m thinking of bleeding the ABS pump.

Swoope

Ready to race!
I didn’t open the system either when installing the ti shields and had a terrible pedal.

It doesn’t make sense. What I did should not have created the long pedal issue. The system was bled twice afterwards, the pedal improved but it’s still not 100%.

That’s why I’m thinking of bleeding the ABS pump.

i have never had to mess with abs pump. on rx8 or 15gti.

i had one long pedal issue and it was recent. was worn rear pads with worn rotor. didnt think it was a big deal, but that was all it was.

beers

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Only thing i can think of is that the pistons are now deeper in their bores than previously. If they have been through multiple sets of pads and rotors, they and their mating seals' perfect marriage, achieved through wear at the previous limit of travel, might be disrupted by the new arragement. Maybe a good time to rebuild the calipers? I'd rebuild mine every 6-7 track events and on a couple occasions the pistons were scored enough that i replaced them.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I installed a set of Spiegler stainless brake lines from Essex Parts. I didn’t see any leaks or weeps of brake fluid. The stock calipers are seeing higher temps, so a rebuild may be on the books

Swoope

Ready to race!
There's going off and there's going OFF. That was a nice clean "catch". Could have easily spun with the wrong inputs there. Nice job!

yep,

if you are going of do it in a controlled manner.

btw, sorry for the link change. i was am trying to figure out how to get the overlays with times/g forces/ rpm/ pedals.

so far i fail.

beers

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
So let me preface this video. (BTW – video lags the data overlay. Not sure how to sync Harry’s and my GoPro)

I’m posting this as a learning experience for folks wanting to drive VIR – Full. It is an awesome track but with any speed event, you need to be very aware of your location on track and what the exit strategy is when “SH!T” happens.

Although our cars are not Miata’s, they are still essentially momentum cars and I drive my GTi in a manner to preserve speed. Slow corner exits, is this cars nemesis.

It is and was my responsibility to maintain control of my car. I do not want to ever damage another person’s car so having situational awareness is paramount. I run the uphill esses relatively fast and the car is loaded pretty hard. I close on the Cayman way faster than I expected to the entry to turn 9. Braking just was not an option or I would have wrecked for sure. I had to jump off the gas which sent me into lift-off oversteer. I was doing my best not hit the Cayman. The Cayman driver did a great job giving me some room while I was out of control. I knew I was not going to make turn 10, and as soon as I passed and cleared the Cayman, I braked and drove off like they teach us in class.

The Cayman driver came to me afterwards and told me that he got a little loose and lifted going into turn 9 which I really appreciated, because I was trying to understand where I went wrong.

Moral of the story, think of exit strategy’s to minimize risk and potential damage. Learn and understand what happened. I’m thankful and grateful that it ended well.

We all enjoy this sport, we wouldn’t do it otherwise. With any high speed track event, there is inherent risk and we all accept and understand that. I do anyway.
In order to really learn, I believe that you need to approach and nudge up to the limits. At triple digit speeds, things happens very quickly.

https://youtu.be/go6kPB89hCo

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP