GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RacingLine Golf MK7 Oil Cooler

thecollieman

When you get the oil filter thermostat added and installed, pics and an update would be appreciated :D

Hello Thread!

I spoke to the guys over at Improved Racing, and they were SUPER helpful. If you get the chance to buy anything I highly recommend them. It's not very often that you see a company write such a detailed response AND talk you out of buying their stuff.

Here's what they said:
I have seen this kit before (one of the guys working here is a VW guy). You can one of our FSM thermostats anywhere between the filter mount and the oil cooler. However you would need to modify the lines for accept the thermostat. Basically, you would but the lines in half and add straight hose ends to them, and add the thermostat inline wherever is practical and the lines are running close and parallel to each other.

However I did notice this kit has a pressure relief valve, which will perform a similar function to the thermostat. If it is designed correctly, it should bypass the cooler when the oil is more viscous (i.e. colder), and allow oil to flow through the cooler when it's less viscous (i.e. warmer). So you may not really need a thermostat. The best plan of attack might be to just install this kit first and see how your temps are. If the temps are often too low, then you could add the thermostat. But if everything looks good and the pressure relief valve works right, then you won't really need the thermostat.

So I plan to go on their recommendation, and see how racingline did with building this kit. My suspicion is they had thought of these things but if I have to be the guy that goes back in and puts on a thermostat controller later I'll be that guy.

Now if only we could get them in the US...why did VW have to make our brackets different?!

Chuckable

Ready to race!
Thanks thecollieman! That’s an interesting bit of information about the pressure relief valve. They did mention that in the email to me, but said there was no thermostat. Sounds like people much smarter than me may have addressed the temperature issue through the use of a pressure valve? In any case, appreciate you being the guinea pig [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Just ordered the VWR oil cooler kit.
Thanks for the above information... [emoji4]

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

thecollieman

Happy to help the forum folks, hope to have the oil cooler installed by the end of the year still waiting for the mighty North American bracket but rumor is october

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Ok guys.
Just received the VWR oil cooler kit.
It looks amazing and it's actually a neat and simple kit.
After a short view and dissecting all parts I have answers on 2 consenting questions in this thread.

1. Oil filter. Here you can use almost what ever you want. It's like an old style screw on filter used on cars in the 90'.just need to find one in correct size. But the engine bay want look as nice with the VWR filter.

2. Thermostat. There is a sandwich plate between the filter and the OEM filter hous adapter. Here is the above mentioned pressure valve installed.
This plate can be swapped with a thermostat sandwich plate that looks exactly the same. I'll try and find a picture of one I have lying around...

Now the above findings are not 100% confirmed. Need more time to test.

Here are some derailed pics... Enjoy!

Chuckable

Ready to race!
This is great news; thanks for posting!

If any proper sized filter can be used, and a thermostatic plate can be used, then this is a great kit due to its simplicity. Looking forward to hearing how the install goes, effectiveness of the heat exchanger, and how you make out with the thermostatic plate.

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
This is the sandwich plate I have. Will see if it fits... [emoji4]

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
A3SBQ,
Any updates? Did you find a filter that would fit??

Navi

Autocross Champion
so whatever happened with this? Did anyone end up running a thermostatic plate? I'm running the VWR oil cooler now and it does help, but only drops about 10-15F. I'm switching to a bigger oil cooler and thermostatic plate soon. I don't think this kit is worth it for what you pay and what you get.

Last edited:

Navi

Autocross Champion
not on the track, but spirited driving on the backroads and highway driving. I was beating pretty hard on the highway to see what kinds of temps I would get. I usually like to autox more, so cooling wont be as much on a road coarse with long straights but I still think there is room for improvement. The sandwich plate can be better, the oil cooler can be better and I also think placement of it can be better. I'm thinking of moving it the passenger side fender well behind the air intake vent in the bumper since nothing is there.