GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 12-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
TornadoTO

Drives: 2015 VW Golf 1.8T Trendline 3-Door
How do you front cubby trim, aka "console lid lid"?

So, I got some unsightly scratches on my front cubby cover, aka the "console lid lid." (This part here: 5GM857351JP9)

I'm eager to replace the part. However, I'm hesitant to order the new part online until I know I'm able to remove the scratched piece from the cubby cover and install the new trim myself. It's not explained in the interior repair manual, from what I can tell. Anyone know how? Thanks!

ps: I obviously forgot the word "remove" in my thread title. I'm off to bad start on this forum! Haha

Last edited by TornadoTO; 01-06-2017 at 05:46 PM.
TornadoTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:21 AM   #2
VW Vroom

Drives: 2015 GTI SE, MT, 4 dr, silver
Hey,

Did you try looking through SABO's build? He put a light in the cubby cover so it may shed some "light" on what you may need to do.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19602

Vroom
VW Vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:22 AM   #3
Sherifftruman

Drives: 2017 Golf Sportwagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Vroom View Post
Hey,

Did you try looking through SABO's build? He put a light in the cubby cover so it may shed some "light" on what you may need to do.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19602

Vroom
Thanks for sending me down the rabbit hole. Now I have a crapload of stuff to do!
Sherifftruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
TornadoTO

Drives: 2015 VW Golf 1.8T Trendline 3-Door
Thanks Vroom! So I was able to remove the "console lid lid" once I took the cubby out of the console, just like SABO did. It's probably possible to do this without removing the cubby, but it's hard to see how it's attached to do so. In the photos below, you can see what the piece looks like from behind and what secures it to the cubby. FYI, despite what's written on the back, I ordered this from the dealer as part number 5GM857351JP9. It cost me about $40 Canadian, tax included.

Warning to anyone trying this at home: be careful removing the cubby from the console if you haven't popped out the gear shifter shift. The gear shifter is surrounded by a satin silver trim piece that is easily damaged. I now have to repaint this piece after I bumped it with cubby upon removal. This trim piece is easily removed, but it can't be purchased separate from the gear knob and boot, which will run you a few hundred dollars.

Last edited by TornadoTO; 01-16-2017 at 08:55 PM.
TornadoTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #5
1Krautburner

Drives: 2016 VW GTI SE 2dr 6mt PP LP, 2008 Nissan Xterra
How did you actually remove the cubby? I can't find that part of the how-to.
1Krautburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
murtaza911

Drives: 2016 Golf 1.8t Tsi
To remove the cubby, you can just pull it out with a bit of force (don't pull from the door). Putting it back in is a bit of a challenge, when it slides in you need to push the roof of it up and it clicks into place. Hard to explain, but there are grooves on the top of the cubby which match tabs inside the dash.
murtaza911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#console #lid #cubby