GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2106 Golf R Engine Failure

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
. . .TOTAL REPAIR $11,417
As others have suggested, if you have decided to replace your motor with a new one sourced by Volkswagen, your next choice is do you want those who have given you this estimated repair cost to do the work? (Hint: no.)

The estimate is high, to say the least. Everything may in fact be necessary to accomplish a professional repair, but that doesn't change the fact that the cost is excessive. It's all "retail" pricing. Do not pay it. IMHO, it is essential you bring VOA's regional representatives into this matter if for no other reason than to attempt to negotiate a lower repair cost. They want the work; you want the repair. It's now a straight-forward negotiation. Think $8k (reasonable). Offer $7k.

Do not pay $11,417.

Last edited:

Snitt

Ready to race!
Wow, is that arriving from VW as a pre-assembled long block? I don't know why you would need to replace the turbo when your cylinder bearings go bad. But then again, I'm not a master mechanic, so there very well could be a good reason why you'd need a new turbo to go along with the new engine. :)

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Not any of the three, I'm just new to this. I don't have $10K just burning a hole in my pocket and I'm just trying to do the right thing either way. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to know if what they are telling me is correct. The Selling Dealer service dept. told me that I need to talk to VOA ASAP. I am going to go back to the Repair Dealer and ask for proof of submission to VOA and then make some calls. Here is what the Repair Delaer is now telling me is needed:

PARTS
06K100034JX MOTOR $5499.99
06B105313D BRG $19.78
06J145722H TURBO $1801.79
06L253039 GASKET $7.12
N90067202 ORING $1.20 X2
WHT006113 ORING $1.16
06K145778E PIPE $49.12
06K145735T PIPE $88.50
5Q0253115B GASKET $13.96
5Q0253725C CLAMP $31.88
06L115441 FIL. GSK $7.40
WHT001688 ORING $2.60
06K129717A IN GSK $49.28
06H103121J VP GSKT $ $4.44
06K115561 O/F $10.95
G013A8JIG COOLANR $29.50
TAX $699.66
PARTS TOTAL WITH TAX 8367.18
LABORS $2550
DIAG $150
MIS. $500
TOTAL REPAIR $11,417

I still feel that you should bring it to another dealer, regardless. The list of gaskets and hardware is incomplete.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Wow, is that arriving from VW as a pre-assembled long block? I don't know why you would need to replace the turbo when your cylinder bearings go bad. But then again, I'm not a master mechanic, so there very well could be a good reason why you'd need a new turbo to go along with the new engine. :)

The fear is that contamination has built up inside the turbocharger housing, causing wear and potentially damaging the bearings in the housing. Which in turn will destroy the new engine. It may not show up for a few thousand miles, but doing a turbo after an engine failure is the only way to know 100% that you will not have another failure due to a pre existing problem.

Snitt

Ready to race!
The fear is that contamination has built up inside the turbocharger housing, causing wear and potentially damaging the bearings in the housing. Which in turn will destroy the new engine. It may not show up for a few thousand miles, but doing a turbo after an engine failure is the only way to know 100% that you will not have another failure due to a pre existing problem.

That makes sense. I appreciate the wisdom. :)

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Whats interesting is if this was covered under warranty, I bet VW would not authorize a new turbo as its not faulty.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
Not any of the three, I'm just new to this. I don't have $10K just burning a hole in my pocket and I'm just trying to do the right thing either way. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to know if what they are telling me is correct. The Selling Dealer service dept. told me that I need to talk to VOA ASAP. I am going to go back to the Repair Dealer and ask for proof of submission to VOA and then make some calls. Here is what the Repair Delaer is now telling me is needed:

PARTS
06K100034JX MOTOR $5499.99
06B105313D BRG $19.78
06J145722H TURBO $1801.79
06L253039 GASKET $7.12
N90067202 ORING $1.20 X2
WHT006113 ORING $1.16
06K145778E PIPE $49.12
06K145735T PIPE $88.50
5Q0253115B GASKET $13.96
5Q0253725C CLAMP $31.88
06L115441 FIL. GSK $7.40
WHT001688 ORING $2.60
06K129717A IN GSK $49.28
06H103121J VP GSKT $ $4.44
06K115561 O/F $10.95
G013A8JIG COOLANR $29.50
TAX $699.66
PARTS TOTAL WITH TAX 8367.18
LABORS $2550
DIAG $150
MIS. $500
TOTAL REPAIR $11,417

You don't have to be mechanically inclined to know that someone wants rip you off. Just because someone tells you no, it doesn't mean that they're right. There is no way they can prove that the extended oil change two oil changes ago caused this failure. Tell these morons to go pound sand, take it to another dealer, open a case with VWoA and get the regional rep involved. You have warranty and you're entitled to be covered. Don't let them walk all over you, you have rights.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
You don't have to be mechanically inclined to know that someone wants rip you off. Just because someone tells you no, it doesn't mean that they're right. There is no way they can prove that the extended oil change two oil changes ago caused this failure. Tell these morons to go pound sand, take it to another dealer, open a case with VWoA and get the regional rep involved. You have warranty and you're entitled to be covered. Don't let them walk all over you, you have rights.

This!

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

This is exactly it, and I advised him to familiarize himself with the FTC and Magnussen-Moss back on the first page. AKA, VW has to prove what he did was the cause of the failure, but he responded with he doesn't want to try to get VW to pay for it and just wants to find a cheaper way to source a new engine.

I wish I had enough money to not even consider spending 1 hour to research something and then contact VW about it when the alternative is to spend (potentially) $11,000.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
What's the going rate for a used salvage yard 7R engine and DSG trans? Nothing wrong with mine but interested to know the cost as new is quite pricey.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Let's revisit the warranty issue for a moment. It's been stated that in order for VW to deny the OP warranty coverage, VW has to prove that the two missed (or delayed) oil changes were the cause of his engine damage. Actually, that's not correct. As others have noted above, the threshold issue is always whether or not the owner complied with the vehicle maintenance requirements. If not, as in this case, the burden then shifts to the vehicle owner to establish that what he did -- or in this case, did not do -- was not the cause of the engine damage. No easy task for someone unfamiliar with the appeals process.

It's also worth noting how the adjudication process works. If the manufacturer denies warranty coverage at the dealer level and the owner appeals that decision, the next step is arbitration. (In CA, the only way around that warranty requirement is for the OP is to hire a lawyer.) If the OP opts for arbitration, two of the three arbitrators who will hear the case are chosen by the vehicle manufacturer. The manufacturer will of course then send someone to the arbitration hearing to present the manufacturer's argument that coverage should be denied. Significantly, CA doesn't allow lawyers to represent appellants in arbitration hearings. Thus, the likelihood that the arbitrators can be persuaded to overlook the fact the OP failed to maintain the vehicle as specified is pretty slim.

Lmike6453

Ready to race!
OP - What was the outcome?