GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Normal on GTI?

maic

Passed Driver's Ed
When i turn light on parking light, only needle lights up.
Turn on headlights then whole cluster lights up.
Is this a Volkswagen thing?

Attachments

• IMG_1904.jpg
    IMG_1904.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 830

Thurnis

Ready to race!
I kinda like the Movato watch look. Very classy. Who cares about the little details when you're having an intimate relationship with the road. (other than highway patrol)

Jarbear

Ready to race!
Though it can be coded to be on with the parking lights, it's there for a reason. If it's too dark to see your cluster, you should have your headlights on. Just my .02

maic

Passed Driver's Ed
It's just odd how volkswagen did this. Just wondering if all volkswagen cars are like these. My 2014,2017 Audis don't have this features.

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
Yep, it's normal. It's so you don't forget to turn your headlights on when it's dark. I actually like the feature a lot, but some here hate it. You can change it with a VAG-COM tool.

I think every car should have this. It's unreal how many cars I see driving at night with no tail lights, just DRL's and their cluster lights....so they think their lights are on when in reality no one can see them from behind and DRL's are only a fraction of the brightness of headlights.

I personally just keep mine on Auto and never have to worry about it.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I think every car should have this. It's unreal how many cars I see driving at night with no tail lights, just DRL's and their cluster lights....so they think their lights are on when in reality no one can see them from behind and DRL's are only a fraction of the brightness of headlights.

This.

Jarbear

Ready to race!

I personally just keep mine on Auto and never have to worry about it.

The car I see with this the most is the newer Nissan Rogue. Can only assume that the cluster lights are on regardless..

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
It's just odd how volkswagen did this. Just wondering if all volkswagen cars are like these. My 2014,2017 Audis don't have this features.

Weird they didn't have it, every German car I have owned or driven a lot has had this feature:
01 E46
04 S4 Avant
08 E90
13 Jetta
15 GTI

I do notice American cars do not have this feature... and it is really a hazard, as most Amercians cannot drive. So many times I have driven down the highway and all of a sudden my lights reflect off a black/dark colored car sitting in the left lane that only has their DRLs on. Flash them, turn my lights on and off, get in front of them and turn my lights off, slow them down, yell, honk, only 1 time has someone noticed. Its to the point now I just call the state patrol on them.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Yep, it's normal. It's so you don't forget to turn your headlights on when it's dark. I actually like the feature a lot, but some here hate it. You can change it with a VAG-COM tool.

I think it *should* be a required feature from a safety standpoint. With LED DRLs and always-lit clusters, it's no surprise so many people forget to turn their headlights on. But I guess that would give the cops less reasons to pull people over/ticket them.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Weird they didn't have it, every German car I have owned or driven a lot has had this feature:
01 E46
04 S4 Avant
08 E90
13 Jetta
15 GTI

I do notice American cars do not have this feature... and it is really a hazard, as most Amercians cannot drive. So many times I have driven down the highway and all of a sudden my lights reflect off a black/dark colored car sitting in the left lane that only has their DRLs on. Flash them, turn my lights on and off, get in front of them and turn my lights off, slow them down, yell, honk, only 1 time has someone noticed. Its to the point now I just call the state patrol on them.

I don't recall my 2007 GTI having it, or my 2002.