GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

[Journal] Funks - MK7.5 Golf R

funks

Ready to race!
As for my suspension setup, I decided to get a Sport Equivalent spring from Swift (will couple it with SuperPro 24MM RSB).

Also received the Audi Brake Air Guides in the mail.

Last edited:

funks

Ready to race!
K, just an update on my project..

Goal: To be able to corner balance the car, while maintaining ride height (snowboard alot in Winter), or a very minimal drop (to preserve suspension travel as much as possible) while getting improved handling.

I purchased the following

* Fully Adjustable Street Kit
* Swift Springs - 178mm in Free Length (7 inch), 336 lbs/inch, 60mm ID #
* SuperPro 24mm RSB - #RC0052RZ24
* Moog Rear Endlinks (made of metal, not plastic composite). - #K750809

I've been trying to find a replacement for the rear orange springs because jumping up between tiers costs too much dough, money saved ended up funding the rest of my suspension setup instead. I settled on a rear spring that I believe will give me "Sports" type of stiffness.

Finally got a chance to install the rear kit (currently coupled with the stock OEM / Front Springs - still waiting for the 21mm strut nut tool)

Okay, the news..

My Car stock had the following heights measured from the ground (LHD) - please note that this may not match the number for other cars as I have 18 inch wheels and 245/40R18 MPSS (which has an overall taller diameter compared to the stock 19 inch and 235/35R19).

• Front Drive Side: 26 and 1/8"
  • Front Passenger Side: 26 and 1/4"
  • Rear Passenger Side: 26 and 3/4"
  • Rear Passenger Side: 26 and 7/8"

Currently, the *rear driver* with the Swift springs is currently at 26 and 1/4 inches - which basically makes it level with the front OEM springs. If you noticed the height adjustments, I have a good half an inch drop available on the rears (or raise it up to stock height). I'm not sure if this will "sag" more (aka - settle up to 2000 miles, whuut?) - but Swift springs (and Hypercoils - guaranteed at less than 2%) don't sag if you believe their marketing. The black Eibach springs may sag over time though.

Once I get the 21mm front strut nut tool (doh), i'll tackle the fronts and get the car aligned and will post back.

Last edited:

funks

Ready to race!
06/30/2018 - Installed Spare Tire, Foam Trim, Rear Plastic Trim with Tire Cutout, Scissor Jack, Jack Handle, Lug Wrench

Part Numbers

5G0012115N - VW Foam Tool Box Lower- Quantity 1
5G6863459L82V - VW Cover for Lock Carrier - Quantity 1
5G0-601-011 - Audi Spare Wheel (18 inches) - Quantity 1
5C0-011-031-B - VW Scissor Jack - Quantiy 1
5Q0-011-221 (superseded 5QM-011-221) - Short Jack Handle - Quantity 1
5W0-012-219 - 17mm Lug Wrench - Quantity 1

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Did you end up installing the 034 dynamic camber mounts? Ago you have any feedback?

Also, did you change out the rewards to 034 strut mounts or stick with stock?

funks

Ready to race!
Did you end up installing the 034 dynamic camber mounts? Ago you have any feedback?

Also, did you change out the rewards to 034 strut mounts or stick with stock?

I haven't installed it yet - still waiting for the 21mm Strut Nut Removal Tool, I only had the 22mm in my tool box (doh). As for the rear, i'm still using using the stock rear shock mounts (don't see a reason to change it with an aftermarket kit - doesn't add any adjustment).

Next thing that will be installed are

* MSS Fully Adjustable Front Street Kit
* Audi Front Brake Air Guides

That will complete the project.

Last edited:

funks

Ready to race!
And I purchased more stuff.. This will really complete it this time - lol

TODO_2 - Install the new Cone Seat M14x1.5x30mm Black Lug bolts to replace the chrome ones.

TODO_3 - Install the Swift 65mm ID thrust sheets on the MSS rear suspension (for black springs)

TODO_4 - Install the MSS Front Suspension

TODO_5 - Install Audi Front Brake Air Guides

TODO_6 - Install VW Skid Plate

NEW_PURCHASES:

* Leyo Motorsports Subframe Bushing Kit (#L141G) to button up the front crossmember along with 4 front cross member bolts to replace the torque to yield ones (N-107-854-01).
* M14x1.5x27mm Ball Seat Lug Bolts (which I need to use and keep with the Spare Tire as my aftermarket wheels use cone style lug bolts).

Last edited:

funks

Ready to race!
Got the Leyo Motorsport Subframe bushings.. Trying to figure out if the one that's supposed to go in between the subframe and the unibody should have the smaller lip pointing up (towards the unibody), or down (towards the subframe).

Part number for the subframe bolts - #N10785401 (<-- was able to get 4 of them for 11$ shipped via eBay)

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Got the Leyo Motorsport Subframe bushings.. Trying to figure out if the one that's supposed to go in between the subframe and the unibody should have the smaller lip pointing up (towards the unibody), or down (towards the subframe).

I would think small part up. But a guess.
Post what you find out. Thanks.
Also share how alignment goes.

funks

Ready to race!
Installed the Leyo Motorsport Subframe Bushing insert kit on the front (#L141G). Interesting that the manufacturer doesn't have any instructions.

The bushing kit came with 4 upper inserts, and 4 lower inserts. My assumption was it's installed like the following but they were unable to tell me when I e-mailed them. I believe the rear lower insert is supposed to be installed above the bracket, not underneath it (as the lip doesn't fit through the hole in the bracket). Was a bit weird though as that particular insert was much smaller inner diameter wise than the hole that it was placed in.

Anyways...

^Upper Front, short lip facing up. Greased up with copper anti-seize to make sure it sticks.

^Upper Rear, short lip facing up.

^Lower Rear

^Front all installed, upper and lower

^Rear all installed, upper and lower

Last edited:

funks

Ready to race!
Finally received the MQB220 springs.

MQB205 on the left, MQB220 on the right.

When the adjusters are set to no gap, springs don't swim around anymore

Coupled it with the GC Camber Plates

Delrin Thrust Sheet in effect

Ground Control plates came with blue loctite for the strut nut, in order to properly Torque to spec - you need to use the Schwaben 22mm Strut Nut Tool (it's thin-walled enough, but needs to have the spring compressed slightly with spring compressors). Strut stem should be flush with the nut after proper installation - so it doesn't get snagged on the frame when adjuster camber.

funks

Ready to race!
09/11/2018 - Gloss Bronze Ampliforms (instead of the Dark Metallic Graphite) - dialed in the height adjustments.

The car as it currently sits..

TODO:

1) Waiting for MSS to send me the V2 rear adjusters (which fixes the rear height adjustment issue)
2) Waiting for steering wheel from RoyalSteeringWheels.com
3) Need to install the RS3 Brake Ducts
4) Need to install the VW Skid Plate

Last edited:

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
Hey for the homelink mirror was it an easy plug and play? I’ve been thinking of getting one but not sure if it will fit/work on my mk 7.5 Golf R. I have DAP as well