GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Prototype Turbo Results

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
I'm afraid that sale is over sir. Still, sending a $1,000 IS38 turbo AND $2200 cash for what amounts to a couple hundred bucks in parts and maybe an hour or so of labor is pretty rich.

Boss. $2960. Garrett ceramic DBB.

Hybrid for the same money? Lol.

EQT could be a decent deal though, they were what in the $1500 range?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I'm afraid that sale is over sir. Still, sending a $1,000 IS38 turbo AND $2200 cash for what amounts to a couple hundred bucks in parts and maybe an hour or so of labor is pretty rich.

I'm sure the labor is significant because they have to clean everything, machine the housings, reassemble with new parts, etc.

That said, the price is much too close to much higher tech options, regardless of whether they're on sale.

I've had Garrett DBB turbos. They're the shit. No way I'd consider ANY journal bearing at a similar price.

$1800 for the EQT isn't a bad deal though, assuming they prove reliable.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I'll be sure to post updates as I rack up miles. So far so good but only about 800 miles on it. Its honestly been a great daily and still builds good amounts of boost down low, enough to feel responsive driven in D.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
Looks like the official product page is up:

https://eqtuning.com/products/fujin-vortex-turbocharger

I took the car out on a early morning cruise with a local VW group through the Woodside area in the Bay Area this past weekend and it pulled hard for hours without hiccups. Tune was solid as well with good looking logs after multiple pulls.

Last edited:

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Not sure on AR, but I got the following a month ago:

Compressor is similar to GTX3071 with a TD06SL2 hotside.
Compressor: 53/71mm
Turbine: 54/60mm
Billet wheel, journal bearing.

seems the specs have changed a bit. comp side is bigger than previously mentioned. there site shows it at 57/76mm which is more like at gtx3076, so if you are happy with spool that is pretty good!

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
seems the specs have changed a bit. comp side is bigger than previously mentioned. there site shows it at 57/76mm which is more like at gtx3076, so if you are happy with spool that is pretty good!

I checked in with Ed @ EQT and he confirmed it’s a typo, should be 53mm/71mm compressor (site has been updated). Logic tells me that compared to IS38 there has to be additional lag introduced by a larger compressor/turbine but from a seat of the pants drivability standpoint, I don’t really notice it and definitely not anywhere that matters to me (above 3k rpm).

Also want to stress that no core is required. Components are new and don't require an existing turbo to be sent in.

Last edited:

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
Here’s a fun one guys, this is an APR Stage 3 Audi S3 vs my car on the same dyno. A few thing to note, the S3 is running a full catless exhaust while I’m running a catted downpipe and OEM axleback. I’m peaking 28-29 psi while the S3 has upgraded MAP and is peaking 34-35psi. The S3 graph is also very wavy, if you smooth it out we’re really looking at 465whp or so and more lag than the EQT. With a catless downpipe and an exhaust I can probably close the gap and with a MAP upgrade we should be able to run more boost for further gains.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Here’s a fun one guys, this is an APR Stage 3 Audi S3 vs my car on the same dyno. A few thing to note, the S3 is running a full catless exhaust while I’m running a catted downpipe and OEM axleback. I’m peaking 28-29 psi while the S3 has upgraded MAP and is peaking 34-35psi. The S3 graph is also very wavy, if you smooth it out we’re really looking at 465whp or so and more lag than the EQT. With a catless downpipe and an exhaust I can probably close the gap and with a MAP upgrade we should be able to run more boost for further gains.

It's all about fuel. The S3 car is on a pump gas file. That EFR7163 on E/race gas will trap 130-135mph in an AWD car (520+ real whp).

On that dyno, you are on E30?

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
It's all about fuel. The S3 car is on a pump gas file. That EFR7163 on E/race gas will trap 130-135mph in an AWD car (520+ real whp).

On that dyno, you are on E30?

I'm on crappy CA 91 pump same as the S3. On E30 I made 500+ on that dyno.

If I ever get bored of the output I'll go full catless, upgrade MAP and LPFP to see what she will do.

Last edited:

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
I want to see this head to head with the VTT option