GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Keyfob Battery

DAS_STIG

Banned
My 2015 GTI has about 36k miles and I replaced my keyfob battery ~5k miles ago when the I started receiving a message on startup to replace it. I am not getting the same message again, albeit intermittently. Is this an issue others have run into? It can't be that my battery is dying yet again!

I have a basic S, no keyless entry or keyless start or any of that fancy stuff.

H

Huntermike

My 2015 GTI has about 36k miles and I replaced my keyfob battery ~5k miles ago when the I started receiving a message on startup to replace it. I am not getting the same message again, albeit intermittently. Is this an issue others have run into? It can't be that my battery is dying yet again!

I have a basic S, no keyless entry or keyless start or any of that fancy stuff.

So you’re not getting the same message again...what does that mean. I assume you mean you ARE getting the message.

You probably got a poor battery. If you have a DMM, check the voltage. If you’re over ~2.7V it should be fine.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I've had my GTI for 11 months now...no low battery yet. Car has a 5/17 build date. I keep a spare battery in the drawer under my seat. These batteries are cheap...just buy a whole bunch off Amazon.

DAS_STIG

Banned
So you’re not getting the same message again...what does that mean. I assume you mean you ARE getting the message.

You probably got a poor battery. If you have a DMM, check the voltage. If you’re over ~2.7V it should be fine.

Sorry, yes, I meant that I am getting the same message again.

Isn't it weird that I just replaced the battery and am now getting the low battery message intermittently? It's not even consistent, randomly happens.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Like was stated, check the battery's voltage. You never know. It's a good idea to check any battery before you install it, regardless of what device it's going into.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Sorry, yes, I meant that I am getting the same message again.

Isn't it weird that I just replaced the battery and am now getting the low battery message intermittently? It's not even consistent, randomly happens.

I've seen some reviews on Amazon in which people reported buying multi-packs of these batteries that were already close to or past their expiry date, so it might be worthwhile to see if that's the case.