GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extended warranty

Jdreg

Ready to race!
What experience have we had negotiating a better price on extended warranty.
I don’t normally buy this but might if the price is reasonable
Thanks

McCabe89

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evo X & Golf R
I don't see any point in buying extended warranty. It's a waste of money. What are the chances that in that certain time period something would cost more to fix than the cost of the warranty itself? It's possible. Is it possible that more than 1 thing breaks in that time period and you get your moneys worth from your extended warranty purchase? Yes, but not likely.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I bought both the Appearance and Mechanical packages for my CPO ‘16 R which covers me for 10 years total. The peace of mind was worth it to me since I plan to keep this car for a long time. Granted, it’s my summer-only car, but I’ve heard too many horror stories of failing turbos and driveshafts (know two owners personally) to ignore it.

I see it similar to the chances of getting into an accident when travelling outside of Canada. It’s possible yet unlikely, but I like knowing I don’t have to worry because I bought travel insurance.

My 2 nickels ;)

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
When the infotainment system shits the bed, though, you're out of luck. It's not covered.

And with the integration of the infotainment system in modern cars, I don't think any new cars are long-term keepers. It's getting to be more and more of an anomaly if a modern car is still functional in 10-15 years.

Here's a laugh: Gen 2 Prius, the center display screen, costs $6K as a dealer item. (Look it up.) Occasionally it does go bad and needs replaced. When the car was new, a bad screen that needed replaced out of warranty pretty much totalled the car. Nobody was paying that $6K for the part (plus installation).

Nowadays there are plenty of used units floating around, if you know how to replace it yourself or have a good independent mechanic who knows the car. If not, again, you'll probably look at your 10-12 year old Prius and say, "eh, I guess it's time for something different".

But even then, I'd bet an independent mechanic would charge $500 to source and install a used one--without any warranty.

McCabe89

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evo X & Golf R
Adam touched on a good point. Generally people don't keep their cars for 10 years now. The 'piece of mind' opinion is odd to me considering we aren't talking about 10k dollars on fixing something. How often are you replacing items that cost a couple thousand dollars that aren't wear and tear items? Hardly ever.

The biggest scam is the fabric, wheel and tire, etc warranties. Its an absolute joke that people actually fall for that shit.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
All valid points, gents.

While I don’t expect to keep for 10 years per se, it was the little things I saw the value in to get the warranty.

Examples:
- when my wife and I have kids and they puke in the R, the Appearance package will cover that repair (or the kids get sold to pay for it HAHA)
- body dings and paint repair are covered up to $2000 (that alone pays for the appearance package if I use it up)
- wheel curbage repair (I previously used a similar coverage on my prior Mk7 GTI on two rims)
- 0 deductible coverage in Canada and the US since I insur my R for pleasure use only non-roadside plus (it’s a local insurance tier)
- roadside assistance which helps lower my annual insurance bill for not needing to get roadside plus

Peace of mind to me isn’t only about repairing/replacing wear and tear items. It was the package itself that allowed me to save some money on car insurance in BC. And if you’re not aware, we get raped for car insurance with ICBC. So buying both extended warranties made sense for me on the R given my situation.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
Examples:
- when my wife and I have kids and they puke in the R, the Appearance package will cover that repair

wow. I need to slow down and read more carefully right up front. At first glance my mind read, "When my wife and I puke in the car..."

- wheel curbage repair (I used a similar coverage on my prior Mk7 GTI on two rims previously)

I bought a 5 year wheel package that covers everything EXCEPT curbing. So if I hit a monster pothole on those rubber band tires and it takes out the wheel and tire, I'm covered. It was cheap insurance. BUT it doesn't cover curbing. Are you sure yours does?

It was the package itself that allowed me to save some money on car insurance in BC. And if you’re not aware, we get raped for car insurance with ICBC. So buying both extended warranties made sense for me on the R given my situation.

Aha. So you did the math. Stop being so rational!

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I bought a 5 year wheel package that covers everything EXCEPT curbing. So if I hit a monster pothole on those rubber band tires and it takes out the wheel and tire, I'm covered. It was cheap insurance. BUT it doesn't cover curbing. Are you sure yours does?

It does and it did on my GTI coz I bought the same one from VW Protection

https://finance.vwmodels.ca/protection.php

McCabe89

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evo X & Golf R
All valid points, gents.

While I don’t expect to keep for 10 years per se, it was the little things I saw the value in to get the warranty.

Examples:
- when my wife and I have kids and they puke in the R, the Appearance package will cover that repair (or the kids get sold to pay for it HAHA)
- body dings and paint repair are covered up to $2000 (that alone pays for the appearance package if I use it up)
- wheel curbage repair (I previously used a similar coverage on my prior Mk7 GTI on two rims)
- 0 deductible coverage in Canada and the US since I insur my R for pleasure use only non-roadside plus (it’s a local insurance tier)
- roadside assistance which helps lower my annual insurance bill for not needing to get roadside plus

Peace of mind to me isn’t only about repairing/replacing wear and tear items. It was the package itself that allowed me to save some money on car insurance in BC. And if you’re not aware, we get raped for car insurance with ICBC. So buying both extended warranties made sense for me on the R given my situation.

I live in Toronto which has the highest insurance premiums in the country. I feel your pain.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I live in Toronto which has the highest insurance premiums in the country. I feel your pain.

With us, you HAVE to get ICBC's basic insurance to legally drive the car. But it's up to you which comprehensive insurance you get.

On our other car, basic is with ICBC and comp is with BCAA since it's less expensive.

On the R, because it's only insured 5 months of the year, I cannot use any 3rd party for comp insurance (they only cover a full year), so I have to stick my butt out to ICBC for them to have proper coverage shoved in.

The VW Protection packages I bought helps lower that cost (or physical pain lol) for me annally......er, I mean annually LOL.