GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking door seals ??!!!

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed

Think I have found the culprit from a simple water test !!!

Appears to be the speaker area !

Having had the gasket already replaced I’m still annoyed how this is happening [emoji85]

Hopefully this may help others though !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Think I have found the culprit from a simple water test !!!

Appears to be the speaker area !

Having had the gasket already replaced I’m still annoyed how this is happening [emoji85]

Hopefully this may help others though !!!!

Well done!! Your test method has captured the defect in its tracks. No one can refute that now. Show your service manager and ask him why the tech who repaired it originally didn't bother to test his repair using a similar water test.

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
Well done!! Your test method has captured the defect in its tracks. No one can refute that now. Show your service manager and ask him why the tech who repaired it originally didn't bother to test his repair using a similar water test.

Thanks pal !!!

Just hope I can get mine sorted so others can get theirs sorted !!!

I wrongly assumed that because it had been replaced that that couldn’t possibly be the problem ! I was wrong !!!

Will let everyone know how I get on next week !

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
The gasket may be fine but being that the drains are clogged, water is just pooling up. I am going to take the door panel off myself and figure it out. Dealer techs are worthless.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
The gasket may be fine but being that the drains are clogged, water is just pooling up. I am going to take the door panel off myself and figure it out. Dealer techs are worthless.

I haven't looked closely myself, but are there actual visible drain holes, or does the design just rely on passive drainage through the gaps in the holes taken up by the clips that hold the outer seal on?

Every other car I've had has had dedicated drain holes all the way at the bottom seam between the inner door frame and outer door skin. I've never had one get clogged, ever, even when there's been rustproofing applied in the door. I just don't understand how a car manufacturer who's been at it for the better part of a century can't get such a basic design concept straight.

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
So took the car to the stealership today who have diagnosed that it is the speaker gasket which is causing the leak .

The passenger side they are replacing as a gesture of goodwill . As this was replaced under warranty sep last year.

The drivers side is going to cost £160 to change over !!!

I am going to try claim back off vw uk !

If this doesn’t fix the issue I am tempted to take the door card off and seal around the speaker with some silicone . Hopefully it is now solved though !!

Just glad I found myself where the leak was coming from hopefully this helps others with this stupid issue !

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
My faith in VW is waning with each example I read about this. Jeeze, this really isn't rocket science, Volkswagen!

Fully agree !!! When telling friends , no other car maker seems to have an issue like this .

However the leak and a couple of odd ratttles are my only complaints about the GTI , the rest of it is an awesome car !!!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Its always the speakers...common problem on MK1 Fabias & various other VAG cars....inc MK6 Golfs....as repaired various cars...& read numerous stuff on web relating to these models I had to fix...

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
Its always the speakers...common problem on MK1 Fabias & various other VAG cars....inc MK6 Golfs....as repaired various cars...& read numerous stuff on web relating to these models I had to fix...

Have you had experience with fixing this problem ?

I’ve had both speakers replaced now ! , can the edge of the speaker gasket be sealed with some sealent or another method ?

Appreciate any advice !! ..... worried the dealer won’t be able to do anymore in which case will have to sort it myself !

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Have you had experience with fixing this problem ?

I’ve had both speakers replaced now ! , can the edge of the speaker gasket be sealed with some sealent or another method ?

Appreciate any advice !! ..... worried the dealer won’t be able to do anymore in which case will have to sort it myself !

On the MK6...MK7 will be the same...basically the speaker has a bead of foam applied to the cage which rivets to the door..this seals the water drips in the door from coming inside & then leaking out the bottom of door card...

Over time the bead of foam rots & fails...thus leaking...& the rivets holding the speaker can leak....

Drill rivets out, remove speaker & clean of all foam...get auto black sealent & bead in place of foam & re-fit & re-rivet...then seal over the rivets...

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
On the MK6...MK7 will be the same...basically the speaker has a bead of foam applied to the cage which rivets to the door..this seals the water drips in the door from coming inside & then leaking out the bottom of door card...

Over time the bead of foam rots & fails...thus leaking...& the rivets holding the speaker can leak....

Drill rivets out, remove speaker & clean of all foam...get auto black sealent & bead in place of foam & re-fit & re-rivet...then seal over the rivets...

Dave that’s a cracking piece of information !!!

Don’t suppose you have any photos of what the foam looks like ? Of course no worries if you haven’t !