GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
Idk tons of people don't have drone with the 17950 but some people are more sensitive to it than others. Added a second resonator is never the solution IMO. Others more in tune with detecting drone have tried and failed to pair multiple resonators to accomplish better results than the 17950. If it's that bad with the soundeckor off and rear muffler heat shield removed (two known drone issues) you might have to add a cat or another muffler to bring the overall volume down to suit your personal preference. This is rare but may be the case

Tons of people do. The resonator included in downpipes is never effective enough to eliminate drone. Some live with it, some hate it. Save the money and buy a non resonated dp and swap a 17930 in place of the stock resonator. Will cost about the same with much better results
Just wanted to clarify and give an update, about 2 weeks before i uninstalled my TBE, i found an exhaust leak right where the resonator was welded.

The guy who initially installed the resonator did a horrible weld job and blamed it on technical difficulties with his MIG machine. I had the section replaced with a new piece of pipe and rewelded properly and its 100 times better now.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
I know this is quite far back now but 300+ comments is a lot to trawl through.
Does anyone anywhere in here have a manual GTi pp with the clubsport s muffler fitted?

Just wondering if it will give me a bit louder tone under WOT or if it's worth splashing a bit more cash to get a catback

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I know this is quite far back now but 300+ comments is a lot to trawl through.
Does anyone anywhere in here have a manual GTi pp with the clubsport s muffler fitted?

Just wondering if it will give me a bit louder tone under WOT or if it's worth splashing a bit more cash to get a catback

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

They’ve got a thread just for that http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29476&page=5

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
^^

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So is there a catted resonated dp out there that is drone free? I know ultimate racing has one, but I've read mixed reviews about the fitment. Any other high quality dp options out there?

Nope.

Dp + a sufficient resonator in the cat back. There isn’t enough room in the dp for a resonator that’ll be 100% drone free

Add Vibrant 17930 for 2.5” tubing or 17950 for 3” if you have a non resonated catback (or are replacing the stock resonator)

Or spend the big money for a resonated CBE like AWE Touring

flymkvi

Ready to race!
Haters aint gonna like this one but who cares right?

I have the becker 3” downpipe, high flow cat non resonated. For 270$ it does the job. But like everyone else, that 2-3k rpm range was so raspy and creating sounds very painful to my ears. Chopped off the resonator and put on the resonator jake here recommended. No regrets at all.

Pros:
-Exhaust note got really deep
-Completely stock sounding under normal driving, loud at WOT but a deep gorgeuous loud
-Ears are not ringing anymore after driving
-No drone even at 80mph

Cons:
-Lost the insane amount of back fire/pops/gurggles just beastlyness of the pre-resonator set up

Idk what some of these guys on here are talking about and why theyre hating but seriously if youre 50/50 just do it. Ill try and post video soon

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Installed a used VWR to replace my hacked up stock exhaust. The VWR sounds glorius but since it is non resonated, the dsg shifts are a little harsh and it resonates a bit at certain rpms. Will be adding the vibrant resonator soon.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Haters aint gonna like this one but who cares right?

I have the becker 3” downpipe, high flow cat non resonated. For 270$ it does the job. But like everyone else, that 2-3k rpm range was so raspy and creating sounds very painful to my ears. Chopped off the resonator and put on the resonator jake here recommended. No regrets at all.

Pros:
-Exhaust note got really deep
-Completely stock sounding under normal driving, loud at WOT but a deep gorgeuous loud
-Ears are not ringing anymore after driving
-No drone even at 80mph

Cons:
-Lost the insane amount of back fire/pops/gurggles just beastlyness of the pre-resonator set up

Idk what some of these guys on here are talking about and why theyre hating but seriously if youre 50/50 just do it. Ill try and post video soon
You have the stock catback, right?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thats literally the best bang for your buck, I even suggest the $100 eBay dp and adding a cat and welding it into one piece. There’s another thread for that, but glad you’re happy it! The 17930 does a great job

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Thats literally the best bang for your buck, I even suggest the $100 eBay dp and adding a cat and welding it into one piece. There’s another thread for that, but glad you’re happy it! The 17930 does a great job
Yeah I don't really have a lot of drone (at least that I can tell), but I wouldn't mind a deeper tone. I jumped on the catted/resonated MAPerformance downpipe group buy. The 17930 is longer though, so I'm thinking of giving it a shot where the oem resonator is now. I know there's no "extra" benefit to the two resonators, but leaving the one in the downpipe can't hurt, right?