GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 mk7 GSW rust spots in paint?

slovopeter

Hey all, so I've got a white 17 GSW that I bought in Nov 2017. I have 16k miles on it now. Was just toweling off the car after a wash, and I'm seeing tons of really small rust spots in the paint...on the back of the car, sides of the car, and near the wheel wells. They're not big (think of the size of a deer to dog tick), but they are quite prevalent.

I'm thinking this should not be happening at this age and mileage of the car. I live in New England, so there's lots of road salt, but this seems way early.

Anyone else have this problem?

Warranty issue?

Thanks
Pete

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It's "fall out"

Clay bar or chemical "fall out cleaner" will remove them, it's very common for any white car regardless of make/model/age. It's tiny bits of metallic brake dust imbedded in the clear coat...aka a real pain in thee ass

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
You need Iron-X.
The stains are iron oxide spots.
Normal on light color paint. Still on dark but harder to see.
Check Chemical Guys I think they carry or google on eBay.
Buy Lemon scent. Cherry stinks.
Wash car but do not have to dry.
After some water runs off, spray down a section. Wait 5 min and enjoy the show.
Do not let it dry. Wipe even with a micro fiber cloth. Rinse off. Do the next section.
Wash car quickly after and blow dry.
2-3 times a year is good.
Thank me later.

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
You need Iron-X.
The stains are iron oxide spots.
Normal on light color paint. Still on dark but harder to see.
Check Chemical Guys I think they carry or google on eBay.
Wash car but do not have to dry.
After some water runs off, spray down a section. Wait 5 min and enjoy the show.
Do not let it dry. Wipe even with a micro fiber cloth. Rinse off. Do the next section.
Wash car quickly after and blow dry.
2-3 times a year is good.
Thank me later.

That's funny. My pops just split a bottle with Iron X with me.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Get a quality fallout remover, I suggest CarPro IronX or Sonax Fallout Cleaner. Spray on areas and let dwell for 3 minutes. It is vital that the surface is clean and cool to touch, and not in direct sunlight. If fallout removers get the chance to dry, you may have created a lot more work for yourself.

A good fallout remover will get most of them off, whatever remains may just need a second application or you have to step up to abrasive means. I.E. clay pad/bar. Also, it is recommended the vehicle is washed after using a fallout remover to ensure all remnants of the remover are gone prior to reapplying a protective layer.

Ahhhh, I love white paint, don't you? lol.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion

I think the Lemon is just shit scented, while the Cherry is shit wrapped in burnt hair scented. Both are horrid imo lol. But, all effective fallout cleaners smell very similar so it's the nature of the products. When it comes to fallout cleaners, I think the stinker the better.

Iron-X Snow Soap is the pinnacle of shit smells, let me tell you lol. I foamed my car in the parking garage when I first got it and every single person that walked by had something to say about the smell. I got hints the next day even hahahaha.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I think the Lemon is just shit scented, while the Cherry is shit wrapped in burnt hair scented. Both are horrid imo lol. But, all effective fallout cleaners smell very similar so it's the nature of the products. When it comes to fallout cleaners, I think the stinker the better.

Iron-X Snow Soap is the pinnacle of shit smells, let me tell you lol. I foamed my car in the parking garage when I first got it and every single person that walked by had something to say about the smell. I got hints the next day even hahahaha.

I stored the Cherry Scent in my storage building it was so bad.
The lemon can sit in the garage as it is not as bad.

But both work.

OP, also good on wheels.
Spray down sit a few minutes, wash off.
Apply again and wipe in with a micro fiber cloth. Wash off.

I like White.
Easy to see what needs cleaning.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
If there is an active ingredient in any of those products, it's most likely oxalic acid, an extremely inexpensive acid that occurs naturally in some vegetables. It has an amazing ability to react with iron oxide (rust), which is insoluble, to form iron oxalate, which is soluble and washes away with water. You can buy it at most hardware stores. It's often referred to (incorrectly) as wood bleach. A little bit of oxalic acid dissolved in your favorite car wash solution should take care of it. Just let your car wash solution sit on your car for a few minutes before rinsing.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
If there is an active ingredient in any of those products, it's most likely oxalic acid, an extremely inexpensive acid that occurs naturally in some vegetables. It has an amazing ability to react with iron oxide (rust), which is insoluble, to form iron oxalate, which is soluble and washes away with water. You can buy it at most hardware stores. It's often referred to (incorrectly) as wood bleach. A little bit of oxalic acid dissolved in your favorite car wash solution should take care of it. Just let your car wash solution sit on your car for a few minutes before rinsing.

Can I just rub vegetables all over my car?

flogR

Ready to race!
Avoid driving over or spending time near rail or tram lines. I had to drive over a set twice a day, once a week and suddenly twigged why I was getting all those little brown spots. If possible, squirt off a.s.a.p. or the iron partices (little magnets) start to rust and crawl into the clear coat.