GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 04-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #52
Sandman GTI

Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
Smile The pick up!

Just a quick note. Will update more when I am near a desk computer and can load pictures.
When my car arrived at dealer it had 6 miles on it. (Wonder if it was even test driven at the plant). Once dealer had completed inspection, preparation work and put gas in car it had 9 miles.

I pulled thru the dealers door and of the showroom floor with 9 miles on OD.

Took wife for a test drive to check it out then back to dealer for the talk. Everything went great. My Sales Rep handled everything well and currently I have no holes in front bumper and also no holes in rear bumper. They would have done the rear but I want to see if I can come up with better mounting holes for bolts. I have a Volvo frame and will go from there. Drove the 90 miles home from Chattanooga with wife in tow. Kept to normal driving speeds for break in time but you can feel it wants to run and the PP brakes are ready to stop on a dime.
If you are near the Chattanooga area visit Village VW and ask for Lynn.
Let me know ahead of time and I can let her know so I get some credit.

She is very professional and kept me well informed.
What you want done, she will make it happen.

You can also compare many cars. VW and Audi dealer here and there are about 30 other dealers within a rocks throw.
Sandman GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #53
Sandman GTI

Cool Day of Pick Up!

Some pictures of car when ready.

Name:  IMG_0616.JPG
Views: 3618
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0617.JPG
Views: 3626
Size:  64.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0620.JPG
Views: 3626
Size:  70.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0619.JPG
Views: 3617
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0624.JPG
Views: 3610
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0631.JPG
Views: 3749
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0632.JPG
Views: 3670
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0630.JPG
Views: 4241
Size:  77.3 KB
Old 04-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #54
Sandman GTI

First Couple Mods.

WeatherTech mats - Look and fit great.

Outlet plug I found on ebay.
I do not see it listed now, but does add a little red to interior.

Name:  IMG_0636.JPG
Views: 4027
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0643.JPG
Views: 4070
Size:  71.9 KB

Last edited by Sandman GTI; 04-20-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #55
Phil

Drives: Mk7 GTI 6MT CSG Autobahn
Congrats ! , very nice, very happy for you !!
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #56
Sandman GTI

Angry Move!

Don't you hate it when you are taking pictures of your new car and some guy just hangs out, getting in the way?
Yes he is bigger than I am, but if he gets that cigarette any closer to my new car, we are going to have a problem.

Really not to bad.
It is hard when you are parked by main entrance.

Name:  IMG_0628.JPG
Views: 3858
Size:  61.7 KB

Last edited by Sandman GTI; 04-20-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #57
Silus

Drives: 2002 Lexus IS300
Sandman, what are your plans for mounting license plates?? Just curious. Thanks.
Silus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #58
Sandman GTI

Talking Volvo Plate Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silus View Post
Sandman, what are your plans for mounting license plates?? Just curious. Thanks.
Currently I am waiting for letter from dealer with my plate info. Not sure why they would not give it to me but had it mailed.
I did not get plates at dealer because I want to get custom plates.
I have purchased a Volvo plate holder that many have talked about on the forum. In the past I would find many posted on ebay but when I purchased mine I did not see that many. I think mine was even used as it was $7 compared to $14 or more for others in past. Even used it was in good shape. Comes anodized so I painted mine black using left over bed liner spray paint so it has a light texture. However holder will not been seen once on.
I have located automotive plastic mounts that I will use by drilling two 1/2 holes at the Volvo center mounting holes (Walmart has black mounts and Lowe's has white). Then the plastic mounts get pushed into the holes, Volvo Frame goes on and then two screws attached and tightened down. I will likely work on it this weekend, so will take pictures of the steps and share early next week. Hope soon enough for you. If you need more info now let me know and I can take some pictures of all parts. The Volvo frame it simple but strong.
I just did not want dealer to simply run self taping screws in to the plastic rear panel. It just does not look good when plate removed even though no one can see it. But I would know what it looks like underneath so I did not want this.

Name:  IMG_0611.JPG
Views: 4627
Size:  46.7 KB

Last edited by Sandman GTI; 04-22-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #59
BravoMike

Drives: Mk7 GTI S w/PP, DCC, LP, 6MT
Sandman,

Congrats on the GTI after a long wait! Now that you have had it for a few days, how are you enjoying it so far? I found for me that it was just like what people had said in their personal reviews "better than expected!"

I have the Volvo plate as well and have a few questions.

1. what is the point of painting it? I have read were others have done this, but it doesn't seem like something that will corrode or rust. Also, it won't be visible once the plate is mounted. Just curious if I am missing something.

2. I have purchased a couple of well nuts and plan on mounting the bracket to the bumper using the same two holes as you. One thing I notice is that the rubber on the well nut is thicker than on the plate and may cause it to "wobble" because it will only be making contact with the center of the bracket. In other words, those rubber bits on the bracket will not touch the bumper if I install this bracket using those two center holes. Do you foresee this being an issue with the mounts that you have? Do you have the specific name of those mounts?
BravoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #60
Sandman GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoMike View Post
Sandman,

Congrats on the GTI after a long wait! Now that you have had it for a few days, how are you enjoying it so far? I found for me that it was just like what people had said in their personal reviews "better than expected!"

I have the Volvo plate as well and have a few questions.

1. what is the point of painting it? I have read were others have done this, but it doesn't seem like something that will corrode or rust. Also, it won't be visible once the plate is mounted. Just curious if I am missing something.

2. I have purchased a couple of well nuts and plan on mounting the bracket to the bumper using the same two holes as you. One thing I notice is that the rubber on the well nut is thicker than on the plate and may cause it to "wobble" because it will only be making contact with the center of the bracket. In other words, those rubber bits on the bracket will not touch the bumper if I install this bracket using those two center holes. Do you foresee this being an issue with the mounts that you have? Do you have the specific name of those mounts?
1. Painting is purely a personal decision. Rust is not an issue especially in Tennessee. The anodized finish is fine, but my car being white black and red, I just wanted to paint frame black. Once plate in no one will see. However it does look nice. I will get picks and post.

2. The mounting plugs I will use are fairly thin and I think will be lower than the rubber bumpers on back. Thanks for reminder I will verify when I take some pics of painted frame. Lowe's has two types of blocks. One is thicker and one is thin. I will post what I plan to use later also.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #61
Sandman GTI

Volvo Plate Holder

Gathered some more info to share.

Picture 1 - Volvo frame painted
Picture 2 - Side view showing difference from top to bottom. Bottom is taller to tilt plate up for viewing (I believe).
Picture 3 - The two mounting pieces showing thickness.
Picture 4 - Black piece compared to rubber bumper. Thickess of lip.
Picture 5 - White piece compared to rubber bumper.
Picture 6 - Items as found in store. Black from Walmart auto section, White from Lowe's, auto draws by small parts area. (screw and nut section)

The white piece will not clear the rubber bumpers and like you mentioned may cause plate to rock if mounted in center. If I used the white, I might need to mount in 4 corners of the Volvo Plate.
I think the black ones will clear rubber bumpers. For now this is what I plan to use, but will adjust as I get into it more.
Will post more after completed.

Name:  IMG_0657.JPG
Views: 4513
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0658.JPG
Views: 4411
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0661.JPG
Views: 4477
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0663.JPG
Views: 4328
Size:  57.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0664.JPG
Views: 4378
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0665.JPG
Views: 4472
Size:  69.5 KB

Last edited by Sandman GTI; 04-24-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #62
Sandman GTI

Question WeatherTech Rear Hatch Mat

The first picture below is how I thought this mat would be placed.
The front and rear floor mats fit so well, I wondered how they had missed on the rear hatch mat. It looked like it was not even close to right part.
I looked at pictures on line and read some threads posted on another site and comcluded that the WeatherTech hatch mat was designed to sit on top of the spare tire on the lowest part of hatch. The sub floor insert is then inserted just above it at lower level or at the upper location as shown in my pictures.

This still seemed odd until I thought of it like a German.

The upper sub floor is where you place dry goods. Items not that heavy and that will not leak fluid. If you buy milk, clorox, etc, then you lift the sub floor and clip it into holder to keep it up. Then place liquid/heavy items on the WeatherTech mat below. When unloaded return sub floor to down position. Even with sub floor up the parcel shelf sticks up some but clears the hatch glass.

I think this is right, as the WeatherTech mat fits best in this position just on top of spare tire. I may be wrong, so if I am please help with info.

UPDATE: With some help I have learned WeatherTech designed mat so it fits on top of sub floor when it is in the lower position. Changed it and now it fits this location as designed.
Just thought it might also fit in upper position by not to be. Thanks to forum for extra info!

I also wonder how this affects sub woofer sound as it is located on top of the spare tire now.
I will have to pull out and test again.

PS: My Great Grandmother spoke only German and my Grandparents spoke it to each other when they did not want us to know what they were talking about So not a shot at Germans with comment above.

Name:  IMG_0641.JPG
Views: 3931
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0666.JPG
Views: 3804
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0667.JPG
Views: 3895
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0668.JPG
Views: 3766
Size:  68.3 KB

Updated picture of the correct installation of the hatch WeatherTech Mat.
Here it fits perfect. Thanks to forum member help!

Name:  IMG_0831.JPG
Views: 3317
Size:  60.2 KB

Last edited by Sandman GTI; 05-14-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:50 AM   #63
goodman312

Drives: '05 Subaru Legacy GT
Interesting idea to use the mat as a shelf of sorts in the lower position. Not interesting enough to temp me to buy one, but interesting all the same.

Congrats on the car. I've had my S PP LP DSG DCC CSG for about ten days.

Matt Goodman
Columbus OH US
goodman312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:55 AM   #64
Sandman GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman312 View Post
Interesting idea to use the mat as a shelf of sorts in the lower position. Not interesting enough to temp me to buy one, but interesting all the same.

Congrats on the car. I've had my S PP LP DSG DCC CSG for about ten days.

Matt Goodman
Columbus OH US
Wearhertech mats are great. Fit well, protect much and are made well. But you pay to play. Not everyone's #1 choice. Let us know how you like your car when you get it.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #65
Sandman GTI

Thumbs up Warning Tag for Strut Pucks.

The week prior to the arrival of my car I sent a list of items I wanted verified when they did the maintenance check. One of these was to make sure the strut pucks have been removed. When I picked up the car, in a plastic bag with other info from car, there was a warning tag that looked like it had been atached to the steering wheel (maybe). It warned the dealer to remove the pucks. Attached are two pictures of the tag. I think the mechanic put the tag in my bag to let me know he had completed. It is in several languages including German, so must be used at several plants. I would ask them to show you the tag to verify they know to remove. That would give you good comback info if they still do not remove. If the dealer still left them, I would go to VWoA with the issue.

Below are pictures of the tag. Anyone else seen one?

Name:  IMG_0730.JPG
Views: 4106
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0729.JPG
Views: 4027
Size:  65.1 KB

Last edited by Sandman GTI; 04-28-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #66
Sandman GTI

Smile Volvo Plate Holder - mounting.

Worked to get my plate holder mounted on rear of car.
Overall not to bad, just checked measurements many times to make sure before I drilled holes. Good thing VW positioned the license plate lights evenly from center as I used them to find center of the opening. Not much else to reference.

Behind the body work is black foam block in the bumper. Just try to not drill very deep and you will be ok. I used license plate inserts that you can buy at auto stores and Walmart. The kit came with security bolts that take a special tool to install and remove. Everything went in well. The location the plate mounts is not perfectly flat. Seems to have a bow in the middle. Not a big issue but the plate does not fit perfectly flush on all rubber bumpers installed in the Volvo plate. Not very noticable but to me.

You can just use the 4 screws in the kit and drill 4 holes and mount plate alone. Would fit more flush if you would like.
Inserts make for a clean install.

Holes drilled.

Name:  IMG_0734.JPG
Views: 3689
Size:  43.2 KB

Inserts installed.

Name:  IMG_0735.JPG
Views: 3683
Size:  42.2 KB

Close up of insert.

Name:  IMG_0737.JPG
Views: 3656
Size:  38.9 KB

Screws going in.

Name:  IMG_0738.JPG
Views: 3737
Size:  58.0 KB

Installed

Name:  IMG_0739.JPG
Views: 3741
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0740.JPG
Views: 3604
Size:  55.7 KB

Tool used to measure and align for drilling.
Sold at Lowes. Helps keep everything square.

Name:  IMG_0743.JPG
Views: 3731
Size:  111.3 KB

Last edited by Sandman GTI; 04-28-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #67
Sandman GTI

Talking Front Engine Cover

It took almost as long to get as my new car. Ordered the Front Engine cover from ECS Tuning about 2 months ago. This is the front cover that comes standard on the Euro version cars. I ordered it because without it the front engine looks unfiinished, as if something was left out and it was by VW for cost reduction in USA. The quality is top rate, OE specs. The underside even has a GTI grill molding pattern. One threaded connector is sent with the cover and needs to be screwed in place on a post that is just sitting there at front of the engine waiting for it. I did have to buy a 13mm deep well socket as I did not want to scratch the part using a wrench. Added a little WD40 to the threads and slowly turned it in place as the threads are cut as it goes in. The front cover pops in place perfectly. However, if you want to remove it you must remove the main cover first and reach down and undo a latch on the main support post built into the front cover.

Issues:
Only one. The cover looks like it slopes slightly, higher on the right hand side. Either the front cover is slightly tilted or the main engine cover is tilted the other direction. The main engine cover is sligtly loose at the right front location. In pictures below I show what the alignment looks like it you lift it some. I may try to adjust this with a spacer inserted inside the rubber ball receiver to take up extra room and hold the main cover up some for better alignment. The front cover does not have any adjustments. I looked on line for pictures of the Euro engines with this cover and many of them look the same with the slight slope on the front cover. Might be the desgin or how the design ended up looking. From overhead shot it looks perfect. Only from a lower angle can you see the slope. Still looks good. I will work some to adjust as much as I can.

Pictures:

Without front cover engine looks naked here!

Name:  IMG_0676.JPG
Views: 4585
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0681.JPG
Views: 4735
Size:  77.6 KB

Slight lean to front cover.

Name:  IMG_0693.JPG
Views: 4423
Size:  76.6 KB

The right front corner of the main cover can be lifted some (play). when lifted the two covers line up better.

Name:  IMG_0694.JPG
Views: 4593
Size:  71.9 KB

Overhead looks good.

Name:  IMG_0698.JPG
Views: 4556
Size:  81.0 KB

Nice Grill look molded in place on underside.

Name:  IMG_0682.JPG
Views: 4546
Size:  70.3 KB

Ball connnector that must be screwed in place on top of existing post.

Name:  IMG_0686.JPG
Views: 4360
Size:  76.4 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by Sandman GTI; 04-29-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #68
Sandman GTI

Talking DeAutoLED - Light change out.

Purchased several LED bulbs from DeAtutoLED.
Will cover the first 3.

Hatch LED - this is a direct plug and play bulb. Just be careful to not let the OE bulb roll in your hand like me and burn you finger. Was numb the rest of the day. Once benefit of LED is cooler temp. I have only had the car for a week and the hatch OE light bulb glass was already smokey from the heat generated from the bulb. The light is great! Others have shown pictures so just take my word for it. This is not the strip light they also sell, this is the OE location light.

Glove Box light - have not had time to install but is next item.

License Plate Light - This light also puts out great light. It is so bright I can see the improvement in my backup camera. Very white and bright. Added pictures below.

I know negative feedback hurts sales so my intent now is to just share info to my fellow forum drivers. The lights are packaged great and shipping was quick. The only issue I had with the license plate light is the connector does not match up exactly like the OE connector. DeAutoLED's plug only slides in and makes contact. The plug will not go in far enough to make the OE latch. Becuase of this the red secondary lock can not be inserted and hold connector in place. The lights work fine, I am just sharing this info so you do not wonder if you are doing something wrong and try to force. I texted DeAutoLED and asked if they intended the connector to be able to lock and I learned they knew it would not lock and was designed that way. They felt the connection was good and should not come apart. I thank them for the quick reply that day. The light does work, but just wanted to share that it does not plug up just like OE but all does work. The plug looks like it should fit like OE and even has the latch tab if it could go in more. The prongs that plug in are longer than OE and I wonder if they are bottoming out inside the plug. would be nice if DeAutoLED would trial and let me know. I hate to try and cut on my prongs.

License Plate Light - Great!

Name:  IMG_0732.JPG
Views: 4372
Size:  80.4 KB

DeAutoLED plugged in but will not go all the way to lock. Red locking tab will not slide in.

Name:  IMG_0720.JPG
Views: 4304
Size:  43.1 KB

Prongs are longer than OE - because of short fit?
DeAutoLED is on the right.

Name:  IMG_0724.JPG
Views: 4249
Size:  55.7 KB

Last edited by Sandman GTI; 04-30-2015 at 08:13 PM.