GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RIP DKM Twin Disc @ 2500miles

Running the EqT Turbo and, BTW, I did get the LUK TOB with the clutch.

After a grand total of 2500 miles my DKM clutch blew up last weekend. Like really bad. I'm feeling pretty philosophical about it. The old "pay to play" costs of going EqT turbo......

Competition Clutch has quickly responded to my warranty claim. Infinitely better than last year when their customer service was incognito. Without the clutch in hand they do suspect it'll be warranted given my mileage and driving style. User error is typically a function of over-slipping. If I did anything that might have stressed the clutch it was through aggressive engagement.

Thinking the Sachs 4 puck at this point. Default is SB Stage 3 Daily.

If you like a good story keep going. Otherwise, Tl;dr:

Like many here I have driven MT's for upwards of decades. In my case 4 of them. Now I know clutches are a use item. So it's gotta be me, right? OTOH, I've never, ever needed to replace one before. And I've run several of my cars beyond 100k miles. But still, it might be me.

I realize now that it's been degrading slowly for a number of weeks. I've noticed occasional rough engagements. It's also seemed that I haven't been feeling thrown back in the seat as hard as before which I ascribed to having gotten used to the power. Now I'm thinking there was a loss of power as the clutch was losing its grip.

Yes, I've been launching. And yeah, I auto-crossed for the first time on the clutch last weekend. But the way the course was set up I was in 2nd gear the whole way around so only shifted the one time from 1st to 2nd (4 runs).

At lunch I noticed engagement was oddly delayed. I'd lift the pedal, revs got to 4000rpm's but I would barely move and then they'd drop to 3000 as a little bit of torque developed.

The real drama unfolded on the drive home. It's one of those stories that with time will be a fun one to tell. Whether it'll be worth the expected headaches and $2000 this will cost remains to be seen:

I live about 8 miles from the auto-x site. Up a grade of about 300 feet, 6 miles on the flat and a mile downhill home. Climbed in 4th gear, 50mph at 5000 rpm's. Losing power all along the flat to where I barely made it to the downhill. 7% grade so I was in good shape. Damn traffic though so I had to scrub some speed. Got to my flat street and was able to coast the 200 yards to the driveway. With my foot completly off the clutch pedal I barely made it into my garage in 1st at 6000 rpms. Like at 2mph.

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
The South bend stage 3 daily is a great clutch. I've been running it in my R for the last 7k miles. Only downside is the gear rollover noises that it's introduced. Some others call it "clutch chatter". I also have the Fluidampr. The plus side is that the car it much more responsive and is easier to rev match. While the clutch itself is heavier than stock, it's not too terrible. It also has a very good bite when it clamps down :cool:

That said, the 4 puck Sachs clutch that uses the OEM dual mass flywheel is the most aggressive clutch that is out there for use with a dual mass flywheel.

If you plan on doing any launches at the drag strip, I'd recommend the South bend stage 3 drag clutch. Probably the most aggressive streetable clutch I've personally tried out. But it grabs much faster than the stage 3 daily clutch.

TheeAdam

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear. I’ve been running the Sachs 4 puck in NYC for almost a year now and have no regrets whatsoever. My DBV2 hybrid is being installed next week and can’t wait to see how it performs with NLS and some launches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Uninstall in a couple of days. Sure will get pix. Keep in mind, though, that given the fun I had driving home it's going to be a thermal damaged mess and look like it's all my fault..........

No way it's your fault! I've had my issues with DKM but only with that stuck in gear (1st or reverse) when slowly slipping the clutch.

But...I will say that I have done many passes at that track with 5500 rpm clutch drops/slips (at least 50 hard launches), no lift shifting as well and it's been fine for about...15,000 miles. At least it's taken my abuse...but of course I still would go another direction.

Evidence of some of my abuse...Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69NXfVF-Lzw&t=21s

I would talk to Clifton at DKM but I'm sure you already have someone handling you ticket.

Good luck!

No way it's your fault!

I would talk to Clifton at DKM but I'm sure you already have someone handling you ticket.

Good luck!
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't think it's me either. But with the way it slipped on the way home probably smoked evidence of anything other than driver induced thermal damage.

I will tell you that so far DKM has been supportive. That's before they've gotten the clutch though.

BTW, install delayed for another week +. Turns out the shops I'd trust aside from my normal guys? They won't work with customer provided parts. Ironically one of the shops that wouldn't accommodate me recommended my guys..

The delay has me going with my regular shop so not a bad thing except for delay. What with breaking in the clutch I'm going to miss most of the auto-cross season. And lord knows I need to learn how to drive dang-it.