GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 07-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
Russell1

Drives: Golf Mk7 Match Bluemotion 1.6 TDI
Arrow Water under passenger side carpet

I have a huge amount of water collecting underneath the passenger side carpet in the footwell. It’s absolutely soaking. Worth noting that this is a Right hand drive car, ie in the UK. I’ve done a lot of googling and most pages point to the air con drain pipe. But this is actually located on my drivers side unlike most of the pages I find, as most posts are from American owners therefore having left hand drive cars. Anyone got any ideas what it could be ?

It doesn’t appear to be a door seal or anything, the water seems to collect in the footwell below the carpet and fills up over time. The carpet and trimming round the doors are bone dry.

Last edited by Russell1; 07-13-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Russell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
Diggs24

Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
front only?
sunroof?
Old 07-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
Russell1

Yes front only. I have no sunroof
Old 07-13-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
Ghawkins

Drives: 2015 GTI PP DCC
It is probably the drain hose from your a/c evaporator; plugged or misrouted.
Ghawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:57 PM   #5
Russell1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghawkins View Post
It is probably the drain hose from your a/c evaporator; plugged or misrouted.
Yep thatís what I thought to begin with but in my car the drain pipe is in the driver side footwell. Which is completely dry and had look and is not misrouted and doesnít appear to be blocked.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:55 AM   #6
Carlosfandango

Drives: 2016 3Dr Mk7 GTi DSG Carbon Grey
You will need to peel the carpet back and watch for runs/drips as a hose is sprayed over the car, around the windscreen, door, door glass, scuttle panel etc, dry carpet higher up doesnít mean itís not coming from that point, it will run behind it whilst not making it wet, it could be getting in around the HVAC fresh air inlet below the left side of the windscreen underneath the scuttle panel, or possibly a bad seal around the windscreen, from the door is possible but Iíd be inclined to think itís not that, at what angle do you park? It could be getting in at the rear and running forward! Do you have a sunroof?
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
Russell1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
You will need to peel the carpet back and watch for runs/drips as a hose is sprayed over the car, around the windscreen, door, door glass, scuttle panel etc, dry carpet higher up doesnít mean itís not coming from that point, it will run behind it whilst not making it wet, it could be getting in around the HVAC fresh air inlet below the left side of the windscreen underneath the scuttle panel, or possibly a bad seal around the windscreen, from the door is possible but Iíd be inclined to think itís not that, at what angle do you park? It could be getting in at the rear and running forward! Do you have a sunroof?
Thanks Iíll check those out. Usually always park on a flat surface, my drive at home and parking area at work are flat. No I have no sunroof. What I have noticed is that it seems to have cropped up the last couple of times Iíve drove considerable distances, my journey to work etc are all pretty close to home, but itís not as if itís been particularly rainy when itís hapoened which makes me think itís not rain water, itís rained much heavier and I havenít noticed anything. Iíve attached a picture, and in the pic u can see the holes in the metalwork below the carpet, what are these for ? Or where do they go ? I actually think this could be where itís coming from because I noticed there is water down there too also
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
SRGTD

Drives: Polo GTI
Thereíve been instances of water ingress into the cabin around the seal between the door speakers and the inner door panel - usually owners report this happening in the rear of the cabin (so water in the rear foot wells), but it could also happen in the front foot wells if the seals around the front door speakers are faulty.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34902

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/2...-back-speaker/
Old 07-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #9
Shortybdub

Drives: My wife crazy
Door panel vapor barrier breach. I'd put money (or doughnuts ) on it.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:14 PM   #10
silver38

Drives: Golf MKVII GTD
I had this problem, your answer is here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34902

In most cases it's the rear doors. Put the hose on the door at the glass and seal, open your door and if the water is on the seal that's your problem door.
MKVII GTD Manual - Pure White, 5 Door, Adaptive chassis control, Advance telephone connection, Climate comfort windscreen, Discover Nav pro, High beam assist, Keyless entry, Sport and Sound pack, Park assist system with steering assist, Rear view camera, Rear side airbags with rear seatbelt warning, Winter pack, 5 Year Warranty.
silver38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, mk7 golf, passenger, right hand drive, water