GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How bad would the drone be?

Fdrifting

Passed Driver's Ed
I finally ordered a catted DP the other day. Hasn’t even arrived yet but on a local Facebook group someone posted a 3” magnaflow catback for $265. Seems like a hell of a deal but I’ve heard a lot of people talk about drone with aftermarket exhaust with a DP. Anyone have a magnaflow with a DP? If I added a resonator would it negate it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
I run Uni catted dp with magnaflow exhaust...it doesnt have drone at all if you dont go over 4k which you shouldnt be doing daily anyway...honestly its decently quiet until you get on it

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have the Magniflow catback and a catless DP. There wasn't any drone at highway speeds but there was a resonance that almost felt like vibration around 2000 RPM. A resonator fixed it.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Cts catted downpipe and stock exhaust is drone city here. At 70mph there's an echo in the cabin that's very noticeable until you let off the throttle. That's just the nature of fewer cats and bigger pipes, though. Most people wouldn't consider it drone because they can still talk in the car :p

Mk7gtifl

Ready to race!
Did you get the exhaust, saw the same post Saturday and was very tempted however I have a vibrant resonator to cure the drone and didn’t want to waste money to bring it to the muffler shop, will not drive my car without it.

AJK360

Passed Driver's Ed
Cts catted downpipe and stock exhaust is drone city here. At 70mph there's an echo in the cabin that's very noticeable until you let off the throttle. That's just the nature of fewer cats and bigger pipes, though. Most people wouldn't consider it drone because they can still talk in the car :p

lol wut. I had the same setup up for a while and the only time i could hear the exhaust was a cold start or WOT. Sounds like you have sensitive ears.

OP - Yes you will have some drone with that combination w/out additional resonators. The question you should ask yourself is would you rather hear the engine or the exhaust. Even with a DP the stock resonators negate most of the sound so you hear the engine more. DP and aftermarket exhaust combo equals mostly exhaust sounds so it just depends on what you want.

You can always wait till you get the DP and see how you like it.

AJK360

Passed Driver's Ed

lol wut. I had the same setup up for a while and the only time i could hear the exhaust was a cold start or WOT.

OP - Yes you will have some drone with that combination w/out additional resonators. The question you should ask yourself is would you rather hear the engine or the exhaust. Even with a DP the stock resonators negate most of the sound so you hear the engine more. DP and aftermarket exhaust combo equals mostly exhaust sounds so it just depends on what you want.

You can always wait till you get the DP and see how you like it.