GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Golf R Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 06-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #18
kakluote

Drives: MK7R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs24 View Post
Why do you think VWR made it though?
maybe i choose the wrong turbo
kakluote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #19
TAZZ

The ETR and the VWR units are both made by turbotechnics. I wonder whether they are actually identical, or maybe the fact that they are offered each paired with a specific tune means they are not. In all cases the vwr is quite a strong unit when paired with its dedicated software or a custom tune. A few cars local to me are running it and it sits just below the tte525 with a better spool
MK7 .:R Airbox mod + ECS hose / CTS inlet pipe / HJS catted DP / AMS Intercooler / DV+ / HG turbo muffler Delete / RS3 coils + RS7 plugs / TVS Custom ECU + TCU / 11.70s@117 full weight and street tires

Last edited by TAZZ; 06-17-2019 at 06:16 PM.
TAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #20
kakluote

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZ View Post
The ETR and the VWR units are both made by turbotechnics. I wonder whether they are actually identical, or maybe the fact that they are offered each paired with a specific tune means they are not. In all cases the vwr is quite a strong unit when paired with its dedicated software or a custom tune. A few cars local to me are running it and it sits just below the tte525 with a better spool
that's exactly the reason i choose vwr stg3 turbo, spool better

but the truth from my logs, the spool is poor

i am struggling with it for month
Old 06-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #21
Diggs24

Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakluote View Post
maybe i choose the wrong turbo
No, the turbo is fine.

Quote:
Ahh, good info.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #22
Diggs24

Quote:
that's exactly the reason i choose vwr stg3 turbo, spool better

but the truth from my logs, the spool is poor

i am struggling with it for month
Still the possibility of a boost leak.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #23
littco

Drives: VW
Quote:
I got this 2nd turbo (nearly 90% new) around 2500USD

i dont have the specs , neither in VWR own website , i have the PICs
clipped turbine is never going to spool well compared to the non clipped version. Ie etr v vwr.
littco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #24
TAZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by littco View Post
clipped turbine is never going to spool well compared to the non clipped version. Ie etr v vwr.
Interesting info. So the VWR being clipped will have a slower spool than the ETR. Our local tuning shop reported that the VWR spools even better than the TTE470. The ETR must then be a great choice for a daily driver!

Littco do you have any idea how the L450 compares to the VWR, ETR or TTE470 in terms of spool and power? If it spools quicker and is good for 450bhp on conservative boost I might bite the bullet on this one!
MK7 .:R Airbox mod + ECS hose / CTS inlet pipe / HJS catted DP / AMS Intercooler / DV+ / HG turbo muffler Delete / RS3 coils + RS7 plugs / TVS Custom ECU + TCU / 11.70s@117 full weight and street tires
TAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:59 PM   #25
Diggs24

Quote:
Interesting info. So the VWR being clipped will have a slower spool than the ETR. Our local tuning shop reported that the VWR spools even better than the TTE470. The ETR must then be a great choice for a daily driver!

Littco do you have any idea how the L450 compares to the VWR, ETR or TTE470 in terms of spool and power? If it spools quicker and is good for 450bhp on conservative boost I might bite the bullet on this one!
It will make 400whp on 28psi on pump gas. It spools fine for a daily. I bet if you ask Hoon nicely he will sell you his.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:40 PM   #26
kakluote

Quote:

how many generations does VWR have in there stage 3 turbo, I believe mine is not like yours, totally oppose
Old 06-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #27
Hoon

Drives: '17 GTI, Sequoia, Turbo Gixxer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs24 View Post
It will make 400whp on 28psi on pump gas. It spools fine for a daily. I bet if you ask Hoon nicely he will sell you his.
Soon... going to lean on it a bit first, I'm just way behind because I'm chasing bullshit wastegate issues and oil leaks (from the engine not the turbo).