GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowering Rear Suspension to Reduce Rake

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Yeah on other platforms removing the isolator and just using some heater hose is very common, and as far as cutting springs many people who have not actually done it will tell you "DONT DO IT" key element -they have not actually done it. lol.

when you are looking to just lose such a small about of height you can get away with cutting a tiny bit of the top of the spring off with a cut off wheel. you will 1. not generate the heat a torch would, which is one of the common comments about cutting spring (heat will alter the springs rate) and 2. if you look at aftermarket coils when they are installed and the weight is loaded the first couple coils are already resting on each other...cutting that tiny bit off the top is not going to reduce any suspension travel.

also the labor to remove the spring is literally 30 min. its not a lot of work.

I'm going to try removing the isolator and use some heater hose and see how it goes. As long as the spring stays put, that should get me SOMETHING.

I'm not afraid of cutting springs, I know it sounds a little mickey mouse but it's not that uncommon because springs can settle unevenly or have dead coils that serve no function. Like you said, if you're not using a torch, you're not effecting the spring as a whole, so it's all good.

Sadly the rear springs don't have dead coils, and the end coils are a smaller diameter to fit the isolator specifically and wound "flat" so they seat flat against the isolators. Removing anything from the top or bottom is going to effect it's functionality too much for me.

I think I've got my answer, I'll post back with results or failure, whatever happens!

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
I'd try the Clubsport rear springs, part # 5Q0511115HL.

I actually intend to get all 4 CS springs, as I also find the stock GTI springs soft, and there are no aftermartket increased rate springs without lowering.

You can get them from e-acca, cheaper than any aftermarket:

https://www.e-acca.com/search.html?...A&sort___search_results_by=final_price&term=0

edit: CSS front springs are 5Q0411105JF, but I don't know the part# for the rears; CSS should be even lower than CS, if you could find them.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
BC Racing sells the parts used in their coilovers. Buy their rear ride height adjusters for around $100 for a pair. Buy two Eibach springs off Amazon at a spring rate and length that backs into or can be adjusted to your desired height. Total should run $225 to $250.

You could pick up a cheap set of lowering springs with a lower spring rate and build the ride height and spring rate back with spring rubbers. Or you could use GTI rear springs.

You could use GTI springs and get a bigger rear bar.

Edit: one more

You could use GTI springs and pack your bump stops so they engage sooner (or immediately) to add spring rate.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
BC Racing sells the parts used in their coilovers. Buy their rear ride height adjusters for around $100 for a pair. Buy two Eibach springs off Amazon at a spring rate and length that backs into or can be adjusted to your desired height. Total should run $225 to $250.

You could pick up a cheap set of lowering springs with a lower spring rate and build the ride height and spring rate back with spring rubbers. Or you could use GTI rear springs.

You could use GTI springs and get a bigger rear bar.

These are great suggestions, thank you! I'm going to try the heater hose option first before I go all mad scientist. I'll post back how that goes soon.

I do think if I'm going that far I will step up to Ground Control coils with custom F/R rates or bite the bullet on PSS10s.

The EMD RS3 rear bar I have does allow for a 3rd higher setting but I'd need to get spherical links because of the weird angle it puts them at, so I could probably get by with slightly softer rear springs as well.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'd try the Clubsport rear springs, part # 5Q0511115HL.

I actually intend to get all 4 CS springs, as I also find the stock GTI springs soft, and there are no aftermartket increased rate springs without lowering.

You can get them from e-acca, cheaper than any aftermarket:

https://www.e-acca.com/search.html?...A&sort___search_results_by=final_price&term=0

edit: CSS front springs are 5Q0411105JF, but I don't know the part# for the rears; CSS should be even lower than CS, if you could find them.

CS/CSS springs could be an interesting option if they were readily available at least. I'd bet I'm very close to their rates now (advertised by EMD is 270fr/300rr) but GTI springs would probably be short in the rear and I could stack to get some height back. Again though, if I'm ripping the car apart I'm probably just going to Round 3 on suspension to something completely different.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
These are great suggestions, thank you! I'm going to try the heater hose option first before I go all mad scientist. I'll post back how that goes soon.

I do think if I'm going that far I will step up to Ground Control coils with custom F/R rates or bite the bullet on PSS10s.

The EMD RS3 rear bar I have does allow for a 3rd higher setting but I'd need to get spherical links because of the weird angle it puts them at, so I could probably get by with slightly softer rear springs as well.
Yeah if you're close to pursuing a broader package in the near future, might as well just wait and solve it then.

I use both the bump stop packers trick and spring rubbers to make meaningful rate changes when the car autocrosses. The beauty is install is so easy and going to street setup is just as easy. Adds 10 minutes max to my pre-event setup routine (and about 10 mins to go back to street setup).