GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI acronym for "Get ticket Immediately"

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Man, they must be ruthless in other parts of the country. Growing up and living in Atlanta for 25 years, I have learned to never drive the speed limit, you just go with the flow (generally 20-30 mph over the limit on the city highways, flow was so much faster than the speed limit, they gave up and just increased the speed limit a few years ago on all the highways) and you will never get pulled over.

Even moving to rural SC and sticking to 10-15 over I have never gotten a ticket. IDK if its the cars I have driven, or just they dont care as much in the southeast.

Tico63

Ready to race!
A solid radar detector (Valentine) and a sturdy cell phone stand for your Waze + notifications will make you bullet proof. I'm amazed at the Waze accuracy. People around you are sick of getting tickets too. So they will alert you when cops are nearby.

Good luck out there.

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
Twenty- two over in a 30 mph zone. A radar detector sounds like a mighty fine idea.

So 52 in a 30? Yeah. I don’t move for anything over 15. 52 is a bit excessive.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I’ve not been pulled over in over 20 yrs for speeding. They use to pull me over for not running my front plates, but they did not cite me. I since been running front plates to comply so haven’t had to worry about getting pulled over.

I don’t run V1 on my daily driver, but do on my hobby cars including my Golf-R. But that is more a conversation piece than anything.

cb1111

Well in good old Virginia there welcome package includes a speeding ticket just because. Still the only state that bans radar detectors. Around here they purposely pull over the car that looks modified even if you are in a pack of 5, you'd be the one to get stopped.

Yea, screw that unconstitutional law...

Found my grandpa's old radar detector and decided to run it for a few days, honestly most cops probably don't even look for them or care. The only cops that usually run radar detector detectors are in NOVA, though that might be old information. Eventually i'd like to run a stealth detector in a visor pouch.
DC, while not technically a state, also bans radar detectors. In addition, parkways, being Federal property and patrolled by the Park Police, do not all the use of radar detectors.

The possession of a radar detector on military bases is illegal. What is less clear is if just having a radar detector in your car (in the trunk for example) is illegal on a parkway.

Along with giving you a ticket, law enforcement in Virginia may confiscate your detector, although you can request to get it returned at your expense.

VA traffic laws also state that 20 over the speed limit, or anything over 80, is reckless driving. Reckless driving can get you an immediate trip to jail. Convictions frequently result in jail time as well, so people are told not to drive to their court date.

Gotta love VA.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
they won't look twice at 7-8 over typically. It's also a thursday, mid-month, and no big events like college spring break or anything so you should be fine tonight. Weekend comes and it'll be a cop in every other hidey-hole, especially on 95 or 81.

yea 10 and over is when they will get you. I've took a traffic class to get a speeding ticket off my record one time and they even told us that in the class. I don't think it would matter if I had a GTI or not, I've always been ticketed if I was over 10mph on the speed limit. Pretty much has only happened on the highway though where cops typically setup speed traps.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Does anyone run radar detector detector detectors to get away with it?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Why not just get something like the Bell STi Magnum which is suppose to be invisible to all the detector detectors, including Spectre Elite.

And get yourself a laser jammer to go with the detector. Then you're immune to laser too.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Why not just get something like the Bell STi Magnum which is suppose to be invisible to all the detector detectors, including Spectre Elite.

And get yourself a laser jammer to go with the detector. Then you're immune to laser too.

Damn. I want these things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cb1111

Radar detectors aren't invisible to the cops that watches which cars slow down when they hit with radar/lidar.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Instant-on radar exists now also, so it's not like LEOs are falling behind in the arms race.

Some people I know drive the same amount over the speed limit no-matter what the actual limit is. So they'll drive 40 in the 30 or 35 in the 25 which is more likely to get you pulled over than 75 in a 65 because it's more egregious.

You have to know you're instantly getting pulled over if you get caught 50+ in the 30, you're almost doubling the speed limit.

Never speed in small towns, this is one of the only revenue streams they have, they're more likely to strictly enforce the rules.

It's really easy to speed in the GTI, but it doesn't attract cops like a Mustang or a Z though. You have to make them look for you, easily accomplished, but also just as easy to stay "under the radar" ;)

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Definitely get more attention in my Stg1 MK7 GTI that looks/sounds stock, than my Stg2+ MK5 GLI that was lowered, miltek exhaust and had some cosmetic changes.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
You’re onto something boys. I can get behind this. I am actually driving from Philly to Jacksonville today and will be rolling through Virginia around 7/8pm. I will be using cruise control at the speed limit the entirety of my time within the confines of VA state lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a long ass drive! Since you'll be in Jacksonville, drop by St. Augustine. Beautiful old town.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Man, they must be ruthless in other parts of the country. Growing up and living in Atlanta for 25 years, I have learned to never drive the speed limit, you just go with the flow (generally 20-30 mph over the limit on the city highways, flow was so much faster than the speed limit, they gave up and just increased the speed limit a few years ago on all the highways) and you will never get pulled over.

Even moving to rural SC and sticking to 10-15 over I have never gotten a ticket. IDK if its the cars I have driven, or just they dont care as much in the southeast.
Yes, ATL is nice. I never saw anyone go the speed limit on the 75/85.