GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Midwest Track Enthusiast Thread - Dates - Events Planning

DAS_STIG

Banned
I have a buddy going, I can't make it. I'll be at grattan oct 20 with a bunch of other vw folks though

Grattan looks fun, but I have been trying to keep things lower cost this year so no over-night trips (Grattan is a 4 hr haul for me). I was planning to do Road America on the 13th, but the weekend sold out when I was ready to book this week. I think this will be my last track day for the year. They're doing an Oktoberfest theme and there will be a pig roast and beer afterward!

If I save up enough funds over winter I may hit Gingerman/Grattan/Road America next year.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Grattan looks fun, but I have been trying to keep things lower cost this year so no over-night trips (Grattan is a 4 hr haul for me). I was planning to do Road America on the 13th, but the weekend sold out when I was ready to book this week. I think this will be my last track day for the year. They're doing an Oktoberfest theme and there will be a pig roast and beer afterward!

If I save up enough funds over winter I may hit Gingerman/Grattan/Road America next year.
I'll be at RA for the 13-14 with MVP [emoji3]

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Grattan is well worth the trip. My car has been down all season, just got back up and running a week ago. I'm a bit bummed that I missed so much this year, hoping to grab a trailer and head to Barber sometime in Feb and maybe some other southern tracks like VIR that run early in the season. Next season I'm going to hit it hard.

DAS_STIG

Banned
What is considered cold for a track day with summer tires? Looks like blackhawk might hit mid 50s on Saturday but morning might still be low to mid 40s. Any concern for summer tires? I'm running Indy 500s, so nothing crazy.

DAS_STIG

Banned
And of course the worst thing happened today - heard the horrible "tac tac tac" sound of screws in my tires. That's right, two drywall screws - one in the front and one rear passenger side. Screwed them out, but tires seem to be holding pressure. This is surprising since the screws were 7/16" and one screw head bottom was flush with the tread while other was sticking out about 1/8".

Any recommendations? Are the tires still good for tomorrow if not leaking? I am thinking to move both to the rear just to be safe.

Grommit

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd move both to the rear, and then just keep an eye on the pressures. I keep a pressure gauge in my glovebox.

You'd be one lucky SOB if neither actually punctured the carcass though. They may be leaking EVER so slightly.
Easy way to check it soap+water and check for bubbles

DAS_STIG

Banned
I'd move both to the rear, and then just keep an eye on the pressures. I keep a pressure gauge in my glovebox.

You'd be one lucky SOB if neither actually punctured the carcass though. They may be leaking EVER so slightly.
Easy way to check it soap+water and check for bubbles

I did move them both to rear and checked with soap/water, nada. They had to both be right there, not sure how neither punctured. Unfortunately, I had a whole host of non-related adventures that day:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46016

Picked up a set of new wheels from a salvage yard in South Bend, IN and waiting on rotors/pads/stud conversion to come in tomorrow to get car back up and running.

Grommit

Passed Driver's Ed
I did move them both to rear and checked with soap/water, nada. They had to both be right there, not sure how neither punctured. Unfortunately, I had a whole host of non-related adventures that day:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46016

Picked up a set of new wheels from a salvage yard in South Bend, IN and waiting on rotors/pads/stud conversion to come in tomorrow to get car back up and running.

Damn dude, sounds identical to the time my Mini wheel fell off on track...

What stud/nut conversion kit did you go with? Not gonna lie, I've never liked lug bolts and don't trust them on track, but not sure what to go with to convert, never had to before heh.

Hope all goes well getting the beast back on the road. I got the last autoX of the year this sunday, and its going to be 50* and raining :(

**EDIT** Just saw ECS stud conversion. Let me know how it works out, Im interested to know thoughts.

Last edited:

dasgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Hey all!

Have you guys ever thought about getting a dedicated race car? I was doing track days here and there and finally went back to a full on formula race car. Its night and day and the handling makes my vw feel like a 70's cadillac.

The cars are getting pretty cheap now and the scca and midwest council are hurting bad for entries, so its a good time to get in. You can get an entire car with a trailer for pretty cheap.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Damn dude, sounds identical to the time my Mini wheel fell off on track...

What stud/nut conversion kit did you go with? Not gonna lie, I've never liked lug bolts and don't trust them on track, but not sure what to go with to convert, never had to before heh.

Hope all goes well getting the beast back on the road. I got the last autoX of the year this sunday, and its going to be 50* and raining :(

**EDIT** Just saw ECS stud conversion. Let me know how it works out, Im interested to know thoughts.

Yeah ECS since I had to order a few other parts from them and needed to get things together ASAP. Install was easy enough - threw on some Loctite Red, tightened to spec, let is set, put on wheels. I got the shortest studs they have, but even those require a deep-well socket to use to torque down. Not much more to say, works well, easy enough to install, and the studs stick out to the edge of the lug whole on the wheel - no protrusion. I can put in up to a 10mm spacer if I ever want, but doubt I will.

Hey all!

Have you guys ever thought about getting a dedicated race car? I was doing track days here and there and finally went back to a full on formula race car. Its night and day and the handling makes my vw feel like a 70's cadillac.

The cars are getting pretty cheap now and the scca and midwest council are hurting bad for entries, so its a good time to get in. You can get an entire car with a trailer for pretty cheap.

"Pretty cheap" is always relative, but have definitely been considering a dedicated track car for a while now. Never pulled the trigger since I wanted to confirm that I would enjoy tracking and after this summer I can say I definitely do. Will save up some $$ over winter and hopefully pick something up next year.

Grommit

Passed Driver's Ed
My last dedicated track car was a '93 RX7 with a slightly worked over LS1 and a TR6060 in it.

Was a blast, however, had to sell as Truck + Trailer + Car + Events just kept me over my yearly budgets and doing this all in an apartment complex was a pain.

I sold it and bought a house. Once I get the house under control, a dedicated track car is back on the menu, but for the next few years, the R will have to serve double duty.

Speaking of.
Last autoX was yesterday. While it rained all day still had a good time. I placed 2nd in my class by a fair margin, but the guy in 1st was 6 seconds ahead of me. There was no chance. He also had an Evo that he bought brand new that has low miles and is tracked on a weekly basis, he knows the car in and out, there was no chance I would catch him.

Excited to see how it fairs next year in decent weather with actual tires and better brakes.

Grommit

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone need a set of brand new StopTech sport brake pads front and rear?
For a 16R but should fit GTi PP brakes as well.

I have them brand new and wont be using them. Willing to let them go locally for a good deal.