GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Don't forget to take your phone!

GTIJeff

Passed Driver's Ed
Why...why does it only show this warning when your phone is connected to bluetooth...why doesnt it show the warning when your phone is actually plugged in to carplay???

Wouldnt that make more sense??? Every time it tells me to grab my phone, its already in my pocket because I didn't hook it up...1 out of 3 times I have it hooked up I forget it in the car because I'm an idiot...but I'd rather blame it on the car not reminding me when it is actually useful.

Bikebits

Ready to race!
It's because the car uses the Bluetooth connection to detect the phone's presence. Once hooked up to Carplay, all data transmission is done through the cable. They just haven't configured Carplay into the loop.

Kind of makes sense in that using Carplay you had to actively hook the phone to a cable and it is in plain sight. I don't know about you but I never close that console lid when the phone is hooked up. Using Bluetooth you could have tossed/left the phone anywhere.

Last edited:

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
Turn it off then.

donp

Ready to race!
I noticed the same thing with CarPlay, just got my car yesterday actually. I also noticed how soft music seems to play over Bluetooth. I connected to CarPlay and it was a lot louder.

Cwlfoto

I noticed the same thing with CarPlay, just got my car yesterday actually. I also noticed how soft music seems to play over Bluetooth. I connected to CarPlay and it was a lot louder.

Would this be because your phone volume is turned down, and the BT is playing at the volume your phone is at?

Just a thought

sirspiffycliff

Ready to race!
Why...why does it only show this warning when your phone is connected to bluetooth...why doesnt it show the warning when your phone is actually plugged in to carplay???

Wouldnt that make more sense??? Every time it tells me to grab my phone, its already in my pocket because I didn't hook it up...1 out of 3 times I have it hooked up I forget it in the car because I'm an idiot...but I'd rather blame it on the car not reminding me when it is actually useful.

Bro!! Thought the same thing. Never forgot it on bluetooth. I always forgot on CarPlay

JediGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, that message is fairly annoying...but not nearly as annoying as the fact that I can't seem to have both my phone and iPod connected via BlueTooth at the same time. AndroidAuto OR iPod. Won't recognize both. Phone only? No problem. I want both!

twichibi

Passed Driver's Ed
I went through the same thing when I first got my car. I like to have my phone connected to CarPlay inside the cubbyhole with the door shut, so it's nice and neat. It's totally my fault for forgetting it, but I'm now used to it thank goodness.

Golpher1

Ready to race!
If people connect via BT, they'd also throw the phone anywhere (not just in pocket), hence the reminder.

Those connecting via cable need to disconnect the phone, hence no reminder?

Not sure why so many prefer BT over CarPlay - BT forgets which tracks I've already played on an album. Also forgets where it's up to when shuffling albums/playlists.

& it doesn't charge the thing..

& it doesn't give you the great interface CarPlay treats you with.

CarPlay's one of the best features of my GTI, though I understand some regions have a dodgy implementation of its software which is a shame.

twichibi

Passed Driver's Ed
If people connect via BT, they'd also throw the phone anywhere (not just in pocket), hence the reminder.

Those connecting via cable need to disconnect the phone, hence no reminder?

Not sure why so many prefer BT over CarPlay - BT forgets which tracks I've already played on an album. Also forgets where it's up to when shuffling albums/playlists.

& it doesn't charge the thing..

& it doesn't give you the great interface CarPlay treats you with.

CarPlay's one of the best features of my GTI, though I understand some regions have a dodgy implementation of its software which is a shame.
100% agree. Bluetooth is unreliable in our Passat (which doesn't have CarPlay) and music keeps dropping out. Wouldn't use anything but CarPlay in my GTi. Apple have nailed it as far as I'm concerned and I'm sure it'll keep getting better.

GTIJeff

Passed Driver's Ed
The carplay UI is amazing...Everyone that has seen it has been thoroughly impressed...if only I could remember my damn phone. If you have apple music as well, you can just tell Siri what you want to hear and she does it...tell her to text someone and she does it...tell her to take you somewhere and she does it...totally worth the ridiculous payment I'm making that it took to get me out of my GLI.