GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cruise Control 'Fail' after Tuning

Hawkeye1

Passed Driver's Ed
All,

I've searched the forums and can't find this problem specifically addressed. I recently had a Stage 2 tune installed (I have intake, intercooler and downpipe). Everything is fine with the tune, but my cruise control now acts 'wierd'. Prior to the tune, the 'Set / Resume' rocker provided +/- 1 mph increments when Cruise Control was engaged. Now it doesn't. Likewise, the silver rocker in the center has changed. Instead of changing the cruise setpoint by +/- 5 mph with every stroke, it's now +/- 1 mph. I've seen random threads linking odd cruise control behavior to O2 Sensor overrides, but I don't understand how those are related. For reference, the car has been flashed multiple times (including by the same company that flashed it most recently) without acting up. Looking for ideas. Thanks.

adam1991

Banned
My 2017 has behaved right out of the gate the way you describe--the Set/Resume rocker does nothing for speed changes, and the silver rocker in the center does +/- 1mph.

Perhaps the tune changed the behavior?

You have other cars; are you remembering the Golf R behavior correctly?

Hawkeye1

Passed Driver's Ed
Good question about the other cars, but 'yes', I remember the way it formerly worked. It was great. Sounds like they updated their files to match the behavior of the newer model years. Too bad. The 'old' function was great. Or it could be that my muscle memory just needs to be retrained...

Thanks.

adam1991

Banned
yeah, you are absolutely correct. Per the 2015 Golf owner's manual, the factory setup with the multifunction wheel behaves just like you remember.

Frankly, I think I'd like that instead of what my '17 (and your tune) does. All the Japanese cars use the set/resume just like that. It took me forever to relearn not to use those buttons. Why VW chose to add that silver rocker is what's odd to me--it adds cost, right? Anyway, with the industry using set/resume a certain way, I say go with the flow--and add the unusual 5mph changes in the silver rocker.

Why they changed away from that is a mystery to me now. All it was, was programming. Why spend the effort on that when what they had worked.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I am Cobb tuned and my cruise control "fails" after driving for a while but works correctly until it fails. I can get it to start working again by turning off the car and turning it back on again. I thought I read somewhere this was a known problem with Cobb tunes. Which tune do you have?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Hawkeye1

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome!! Thanks for the link. I've coded BMW via laptop and via an app (BimmerCode), but I've never coded a VW. What is the easiest way to get into the game?

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion

Hawkeye1

Passed Driver's Ed
All,

My car doesn't have ACC, and therefore the 'fix' outlined above doesn't work. I now have OBD11, but my car doesn't have Module 13 (ACC) and I'm not sure where to look for the setting in the other modules. I've read through most of the long coding options available and saw nothing, though much of it is in German and I may not recognize it. I'll take any help out there. Thanks,

Hawkeye

Hawkeye1

Passed Driver's Ed
More work with OBD11:

Found some settings in the Steering Column Electronics Module that looked promising. Specifically: "CCS Switch Installed". It was marked 'no', so I marked it 'yes'. End result, no cruise control at all, plus several errors as I tried to engage it. Reset that bit to 'no' and everything works as before. Also spent some time in the 'green engineering menu', and found nothing there that would solve the problem. Still looking...