GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is38 upgrade...slippery slope?

bdlPNW

Passed Driver's Ed
eurodyne maestro.

For $800 bucks you get all the software you'll ever need, stg1,1.5,2,is38 are included, even boss files are coming along with 4 bar and mpi if you ever went that far.... , no additional payments.

Also if you are DSG then if you have ED software then the DSG software is only $375.

Wow sounds pretty good, will look into it, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomadEA888

Passed Driver's Ed
I am also on the same boat but I feel with all the talk of IS38 reliability and my itch to go E30 a VTT turbo is in my horizon for its flat line powerband

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds like you are getting ahead of yourself. Recommend performance upgrades that will improve the IS20 and will be necessary for the IS38. Examples being downpipe, intercooler, ECU and DSG tune or clutch, colder plugs, motor/xmission mounts, etc. When all the basics are done and you are ready for the IS38 at that time there may be better IS20 options out there. I personally like the IS20 fast spin up. No interest in IS38 and have done all the basics.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I guess I’m in the minority.

It’s a FWD car, don’t sink a lot of money into it.

If you want to start throwing thousands of dollars in performance mods move to a different platform or buy a used Golf R.

Travis9935

Ready to race!
I guess I’m in the minority.

It’s a FWD car, don’t sink a lot of money into it.

If you want to start throwing thousands of dollars in performance mods move to a different platform or buy a used Golf R.
Wouldn't the is38 be better on fwd.. Later spool! With the right tires what's wrong with a high performance fwd? That's why roll racing was invented! ???

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Wouldn't the is38 be better on fwd.. Later spool! With the right tires what's wrong with a high performance fwd? That's why roll racing was invented! ???

Yep. I'd rather have that German built AF IS20 on a golf R and an IS38 or Tomioka on the GTI.

GTI Dude 11

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
gti
I went from Stage 1 to an IS38 APR file with no downpipe ( I live in CA and dont want to deal with it) So far I have done this:

- Unitronic IC ( a MUST, especially when it gets hotter)
- APR DSG Tune ( also a MUST, the DSG can't keep up with the power of the is38 and will cause extra stress without it)
- APR tune for is38
-RS7 plugs (also a must)

Also be prepared to have to switch out plugs and oil changes more frequently. It's not cheap at all, and honestly if you are concerned about money I wouldn't go this route. Eventually I will need new mounts as well because the stock engine and trans mount has a lot of slop and can keep up with the power of the bigger turbo.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Its a super slippery slope. You'll end up wanting more everytime. Ask me how i know. It all started with a JB4. Then Downpipe, then intecooler, then intake.. Next thing you know I'm spraying methanol injection, and not only mixing that, but Buying E85 by the bulk and mixing E30. Be careful!

Travis9935

Ready to race!
Ha! Everything is a slippery slope...I'm into Radio controlled vehicles too! Once you start modding it's never ending. Gotta have fun while you're alive right?[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Tico63

Ready to race!
Decisions. Decisions.

You will always want more. Keep that in mind. If you spend 2-3k now on Stage 2+, you will want to spend 2-3k a year from now on Stage 3 big turbo. It's just the nature of car enthusiasts, we always want more after we get used to what we have.

I went APR Stage II and can honestly say I have no desire to upgrade to IS38. If I had a choice to do it over again, I'd probably go JB4+Downpipe and leave it at that.

Definitely purchase an exhaust or have one custom made. It completely changes the experience and you might not even desire more power.

My recommendation is go APR Stage II. You'll feel quite a bump and not break the bank. I don't run an upgraded IC or an expensive exhaust. But I do suffer from heatsoak. But there you can save at least $1200. It's all about how much you want to splurge. I mean if I were to upgrade the turbo, I'd probably go big turbo, to feel that massive difference for all the money spent. If I went IS38, it would probably feel like when I went APR Stage I the first time. But after a while, just like with Stage I, I'll want more.

Let us know what you decide to do! :)

Last edited:

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Also be prepared to have to switch out plugs and oil changes more frequently. It's not cheap at all, and honestly if you are concerned about money I wouldn't go this route. Eventually I will need new mounts as well because the stock engine and trans mount has a lot of slop and can keep up with the power of the bigger turbo.

Yes, on top of that...

Suspension wears out quicker- which wears your tires quicker on top of the increased tire wear from the power, which means you're spending a bunch on tires before you replace the worn out suspension components.... also, you chew through brakes quicker, and spend money trying to figure out the exact right setup to replace the OEs... which people almost never do right the first time around...

The Mk7 is an awesome platform for modding, as it's over engineered like crazy.... ... ... but we've got to be realistic and realize we're all looking for nearly double the stock horsepower. Wear parts are simply going to wear out faster.

If you're comfortable with that, then the IS38 could be the bottom of the slippery slope... ... .. ..... provided she holds up and you're not paranoid about the turbo going pop. :D:D

Slope's slippery- you're already on it. Skis and Boards are waxed. Just try to avoid the trees.