GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Was modding your car worth it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 137012
  • Start date

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I wasn't impressed by the fender system either. My Walmart pioneer speakers and focal deck speakers in my Camry sound better. They sound underpowered to me in the fender system. I bet an upgraded amp would do wonders for the quality

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bdlPNW

Passed Driver's Ed
Jb4 and apr downpipe I’d highly recommend. Install was easy for both and you can swap out if you have issues if you worried about warranty. The sound of the dp and performance gain of the two were awesome imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I've spent and lost a bunch of money going through parts, but I think part of it, is that I just like trying to install stuff on my own. And one of the reasons i even bought the car is that the aftermarket scene was great, and these cars take so much power, it's not funny in this price range.

I'm a Dad of elementary school kids. Gave up the minivan and made the GTI my daily. It's not without it's drawback, space being the main issue, but for the most part we've learned to work around it, thanks online shopping :D .

I'm Bascially FBO(no IC intake/discharge pipes) with coils and 19s. Makes me happy to start the car in the morning and look forward to driving back home from the train station. My only regret is that I don't get to drive it enough.

EDIT: Since it became my daily recently, I did remove my AWE catback over the weekend as it was just too loud with the kids and sadly because I'm old, especially when getting into boost. MAP DP with resonator works well with the OEM exhaust.

Last edited:

TheWedgie

Passed Driver's Ed
so like 13 year old tech vs recent technology...fair comparison :rolleyes:

I agree that it's not a fair comparison... which makes it even more surprising to learn that someone could go so far as to prefer that system over our current VW Fender option.

The most important thing to remember is that this could be the last reasonable opportunity I get to bash my old Bose sound system... The #2 crappiest component (#1 being VVT Actuator) in an otherwise outstanding vehicle... Stop trying to steal my thunder man :D

Hoon

Autocross Champion
151 whp gain on pump gas, so i'd say so.

Stock vs Uni S2 vs IS38

TheWedgie

Passed Driver's Ed
And to be somewhat on topic... I greatly enjoyed modding both my Speed6 and my Focus ST.

It's been a great way for me to learn more about my vehicles, while also helping to increase the overall fun factor at a reasonable cost... Plus chicks dig doods with mods bruh.

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
Well I thought so, went Uni Stage 1 and still having EPC lights for overboost. Kinda frustrated but it only does it in 'D' or 'S' mode since mines DSG, so If I stick it in manual mode, it's fine, so after that, this thing hauls ass.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Well I thought so, went Uni Stage 1 and still having EPC lights for overboost. Kinda frustrated but it only does it in 'D' or 'S' mode since mines DSG, so If I stick it in manual mode, it's fine, so after that, this thing hauls ass.

That's bizarre, contact Uni asap they'll work with you.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
so like 13 year old tech vs recent technology...fair comparison :rolleyes:

Car audio is car audio, nothing really rocket sciencey about it. My dad's 04 Acura had an amazing stereo. My mom's 17 Passat has a terrible one (non-Fender). They're good or they're not.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

That's bizarre, contact Uni asap they'll work with you.

Agreed. That's not supposed to happen. Uni's CS is pretty good so they'll take your case seriously and get it sorted out, and you'll feel great about your purchase decision.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Car audio is car audio, nothing really rocket sciencey about it. My dad's 04 Acura had an amazing stereo. My mom's 17 Passat has a terrible one (non-Fender). They're good or they're not.

not quite. Have you seen all these new Class D amps pumping serious power in a credit card size enclosure?

Speaker technology has definitely gotten better, and better materials are cheaper. Understanding spatial and speaker locations and integration has also gotten much better. fitting 18 speakers in a car was unheard of, and now they can do it, at least in the higher end cars.

so yeah incrementally over the years, it has gotten better with technology.