GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The turbo issue!

Labbatt33

Ready to race!
I just had a turbo failure on my Uni tuned Stage 2 2016. Exhaust side impeller snapped off and some small bits ended up in the intake. The dealer is dropping the oil pan tomorrow due to the drop in oil pressure. I’m sure hoping it’s just the turbo and not the motor as well :(.

FWIW I’m at 34k and have done 5k oil changes all along. JB1 was on the car until this past August and Uni after that. I’m fairly certain it’s just a random mechanical failure not directly related to either the piggyback or tune, just bad luck.

n00bcarlover

I also live in Sweden and they told me the same thing. Yet it's the most famous company here (known for tuning some celebrities car etc). They are overpriced and I don't think they are any better than other firms.

If I'm ready to "pay to play" how much are we talking about? Say the turbo blows, how much are we talking? Around 3000$? Or possibly more? (not official dealer)

alper

Ready to race!
I also live in Sweden and they told me the same thing. Yet it's the most famous company here (known for tuning some celebrities car etc). They are overpriced and I don't think they are any better than other firms.

If I'm ready to "pay to play" how much are we talking about? Say the turbo blows, how much are we talking? Around 3000$? Or possibly more? (not official dealer)

Also on the same boat. I know what Stertman claims but honestly, in 4 years already we've seen these engines and turbos running stage 2 400ps levels just fine for the most part. So it's either that Swedish weather has something particularly harmful to IS38's or, incidentally (!) it's the perfect excuse to sell more of their own turbo upgrades.

"Overpriced" is putting it nicely if you consider that they are now offering a plug-n-play turbo upgrade which is good enough for 400ps (levels you safely get with stock IS38) for an eye-watering 3000$ without map costs even :eek:

I randomly found out about another guy in Sweden that runs a stage 2+ R with excellent results/times and he pointed me to a nice direction for stock IS38 tuning in Sweden so now seriously considering to go with them.

PS. If the turbo blows it depends on the damage. If it's only the turbo it's not a great deal. Even the LM500v2 which is a proper stage 3 heavily revised and reliable option sells for 2600eur in Germany. Closer to stock units are way less than that (<2k).

Schnack

I've got a 17 GTI with the latest revision turbo. Tuned the car at 3000 miles and had turbo failure 6 days later, less than 200 miles tuned. APR Stage 1 with Intake. Flashed back to stock, cleared codes for over-boost, problem persisted. No boost was building, figured okay might be the wastegate. Had it pulled apart and the wastegate was stuck, figured it would be an easy fix. Its a "non serviceable part" so technically VW says you can't fix them. Called APR just to give them the run down and get their take on the situation. My install shop called me back and said they figured out how to fix it but it was looking like a couple hundred bucks. Before I did anything I figured I'd let the dealer take a look and see what they saw.

Long story short, shaft broke due to over-boost. TD1 Flagged, paid out of pocket for a new turbo and install at the dealer $2700 and some change. Ended up talking to VW and the dealer and the warranty is on a case by case biases. Diagnostics on every trip in, check the flash counter, all that bullshit. So needless to say the cars been back to stock sense I've got it back in October, just broke 7000 miles this week. No issues out of the new turbo but I'm sure this one is out of balance too. Lesson here, balance your shit because VW doesn't care.

I know I'm one of the few 17 year model guys with failures but it can and does still happen. I've held off posting my horror story and lurked the past few months, wanted to see if any one else was having issues but it looks like just a handful of us. Ill get everyone the details and paperwork from the install shop and the dealer if you boys are curious. I don't think it was APR in anyway that caused the failure, I think I was just one of the lucky ones with a factory defect. It might have happened down the road if I was stock. The compressor wheel had some play and the added boost did the rest. Motor is fine and just did the first oil change maybe 700ish miles ago.

Needless to say I want to make power in the car, its just been a horrible experience starting on this platform. I know the chances of lighting striking twice is real low, but with my luck I'm gunna be that guy.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I've got a 17 GTI with the latest revision turbo. Tuned the car at 3000 miles and had turbo failure 6 days later, less than 200 miles tuned. APR Stage 1 with Intake. Flashed back to stock, cleared codes for over-boost, problem persisted. No boost was building, figured okay might be the wastegate. Had it pulled apart and the wastegate was stuck, figured it would be an easy fix. Its a "non serviceable part" so technically VW says you can't fix them. Called APR just to give them the run down and get their take on the situation. My install shop called me back and said they figured out how to fix it but it was looking like a couple hundred bucks. Before I did anything I figured I'd let the dealer take a look and see what they saw.

Long story short, shaft broke due to over-boost. TD1 Flagged, paid out of pocket for a new turbo and install at the dealer $2700 and some change. Ended up talking to VW and the dealer and the warranty is on a case by case biases. Diagnostics on every trip in, check the flash counter, all that bullshit. So needless to say the cars been back to stock sense I've got it back in October, just broke 7000 miles this week. No issues out of the new turbo but I'm sure this one is out of balance too. Lesson here, balance your shit because VW doesn't care.

I know I'm one of the few 17 year model guys with failures but it can and does still happen. I've held off posting my horror story and lurked the past few months, wanted to see if any one else was having issues but it looks like just a handful of us. Ill get everyone the details and paperwork from the install shop and the dealer if you boys are curious. I don't think it was APR in anyway that caused the failure, I think I was just one of the lucky ones with a factory defect. It might have happened down the road if I was stock. The compressor wheel had some play and the added boost did the rest. Motor is fine and just did the first oil change maybe 700ish miles ago.

Needless to say I want to make power in the car, its just been a horrible experience starting on this platform. I know the chances of lighting striking twice is real low, but with my luck I'm gunna be that guy.

There are plenty of options out there for better/bigger turbos. I myself will more than likely be going with 034's LOBA turbo kit. https://store.034motorsport.com/r46...-s3-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-r-2-0-tfsi-mqb.html

Don't sell yourself short because you're afraid of VW's turbos.

888Gen3

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GOLF MK8 GTI
Is there any way to prevent turbo/engine failure on stock or stage 1 on those early 14 models? Some part replacement, repair or new turbo is needed?

Is there any specific mileage where problem can occur? What about used cars with 40-50k miles on them?

I have had several IS20 and IS38 turbos - also upgrade chargers:). If you want a stable turbo that survives ALL, you need to change ALL internals of the turbo (not just the cartridge/bearing, etc. - but all) and include two big LIGHT-weight turbo wheels. Keep the original housing/look. One recommendable product is this PnP LM440 charger tested on a Golf MK7, Audi S3 and Seat Cupra (Year 2015-2018) - dyno and acceleration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPDM82l-o20

Some guys even replace their blown IS38 chargers (Golf 7R) by this smaller and reinforced IS20.

Sanham

So....

How can I know if my turbo is the lastrevision or some of them???

As you experience .....
The last revision of gti turbos are safe to tune ????

rc pete

Passed Driver's Ed
2017 GTI IS20 JB4 from 1500 miles to 33K, 26 PSI tapering to 21 no issues.

Just got a 18 R the JB4 will be going on soon.