GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S550 5.0 Mustang vs GTi Stage 1

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
Any 15+ Gt automatic 6 speed or new 10 speed cars are fast. My friend has a beautiful 15, 50th anniversary package, auto, that ran 12.62 @ 117 with a cold air intake and a tune. That was on stock pos pirelli tires. I ran him at the track in my stage 1 manual GTI and he destroyed me! I ran a 13.8 @ 108. The only thing I noticed was we picked up the exact same mph from the 1/8 to the quarter, so he gained no more ground after the 1/8, but it was as a slaughter to the 1/8. If my car was a DSG it would probably been closer e.t. wise.

About a week later, on my way to work one morning I raced a super loud 15 Gt with a manual and it was a completely different story. He was spinning and hitting the rev limiter and I beat him through 3rd gear where I let off and his front bumper was at my drivers rear door... those cars are not nearly as fast with an average driver on street tires.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
The 2018 Mustang GTs are no joke stock, highly considering picking one up as my weekend car.

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
The s550 is the new Mustang, the slightly older model was a Coyote engine. I walk both rather easily in my R so once you're stage 2 given the weight advantage you will probably pull on one as well.

s550 is 2015+, with the current models being included in that. GTs have used the coyote since the 2011 MY and still do.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
s550 is 2015+, with the current models being included in that. GTs have used the coyote since the 2011 MY and still do.

S197 vs S550.. I suppose you're right

Last edited:

TroyI

Ready to race!
Yup. No way will a stage 1 GTi hang with a brand new 5.0. I say this because I'm Stage 1 and I hang barely with a 5.0, previous styles before face lift. No way in hell.... a Stage 1 GTi hanging with new one. 5.0's are no joke.....

Agreed. I got whooped by a new 5.0 at the drag strip last weekend. He ran a 12.6 and I ran in the 13's. I'm stage 1. Not really sure stage 2 will take one either.

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
Agreed. I got whooped by a new 5.0 at the drag strip last weekend. He ran a 12.6 and I ran in the 13's. I'm stage 1. Not really sure stage 2 will take one either.

I'm going tomorrow to San Antonio Raceway to Roll race, they have a roll racing event doing 30-40mph rolls. Hopefully I get some victories under my belt and have fun. :)

Any locals down to go?

Carcrazy1

i just bought an 18 GOLF R and A 18 mustang GT 10 speed with performance pack with 3,55 gear option over th 3.15 gear option the car is a beast -7500 rpm shifts with 5 drive modes the mustang has already been 11.91 119.2 mph with 534 miles on it and stock rubber -its gonna take a bit of mods to hang with a new gen 3 Coyote and with a CAI tune E-85 they run 11.30s @ 124Mph so be aware ..

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
i just bought an 18 GOLF R and A 18 mustang GT 10 speed with performance pack with 3,55 gear option over th 3.15 gear option the car is a beast -7500 rpm shifts with 5 drive modes the mustang has already been 11.91 119.2 mph with 534 miles on it and stock rubber -its gonna take a bit of mods to hang with a new gen 3 Coyote and with a CAI tune E-85 they run 11.30s @ 124Mph so be aware ..

Yes sir
New 5.0 stangs are stupid fast

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Slow. Very slow. :).

Well the 10r80 on a flex tune you got IS stupid fast. I'd call the Coyote Mustang GT very quick, not stupid fast, at least not until you start modding them..

FastEggMk7

Ready to race!
Well the 10r80 on a flex tune you got IS stupid fast. I'd call the Coyote Mustang GT very quick, not stupid fast, at least not until you start modding them..

Stupid fast compared to golf's, mod for mod. No Replacement for Displacement.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion

The straight e85 really wakes up the torque in these 12 to 1 motors. Once the tuner gets the wot shifts (no throttle cut) dialed in they are fun. There are a ton of torque/rpm limiters buried in both motor and transmission code. Not all tuners have that sorted yet. :).

Last edited:

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Stupid fast compared to golf's, mod for mod. No Replacement for Displacement.

You sound like my autos teacher.. Times have changed unless you're talking displacement + forced induction that does not always apply anymore.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
The straight e85 really wakes up the torque in these 12 to 1 motors. Once the tuner gets the wot shifts (no throttle cut) dialed in they are fun. There are a ton of torque/rpm limiters buried in both motor and transmission code. Not all tuners have that sorted yet. :).

Sounds like a lot of fun, I really dig the new Mustangs and I haven't felt that way about those cars in a loooong time. If I was loaded I'd definitely get one to have some fun with, unfortunately I'm broke and too biased towards Deutsche autos for that to happen. If I had extra money an RS3/TTRS would win that debate. If I had a 10 car garage and bags of cash the Mustang would be back on.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like a lot of fun, I really dig the new Mustangs and I haven't felt that way about those cars in a loooong time. If I was loaded I'd definitely get one to have some fun with, unfortunately I'm broke and too biased towards Deutsche autos for that to happen. If I had extra money an RS3/TTRS would win that debate. If I had a 10 car garage and bags of cash the Mustang would be back on.

Almost 7k off list plus retail $ for my mk7 was enough to push me over the edge. Ford had a lot of incentives/rebates/customer cash back in June to move some units. It has to be a “deal” to get me excited. Lol.