GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Switching out a MK7 steering wheel with a re-upholstered OEM CORE

The Stig2

Ready to race!
Any issues getting a re-upholstered steering wheel (OEM core) switched out on a MK7 GTI? I am too scared to do it myself, so have been calling around, and some service depts. quote over $200 and others around $70 to do the switch-out. Some say they need to do re-coding, others not. In your experience, does the switch-out require coding, or is it plug & play?

I actually used Royal Steering Wheels btw, will post a pic once installed.

Drader

Passed Driver's Ed
If it is the same model it will be plug and play. It really isn't hard to do yourself, but the first time is a little tricky: 1. disconnect battery; 2. use small screwdriver to flick out springs holding airbag (look this up); 3. disconnect airbag; 4. use T55 to unbolt wheel.

The second time you do this it will take a total of 3 minutes!

The Stig2

Ready to race!
If it is the same model it will be plug and play. It really isn't hard to do yourself, but the first time is a little tricky: 1. disconnect battery; 2. use small screwdriver to flick out springs holding airbag (look this up); 3. disconnect airbag; 4. use T55 to unbolt wheel.

Thank you sir! I figured it's a piece of cake. I do want to observe someone else doing it in the flesh before I take a stab at it though. Watching a YouTube video of it, the Airbag springs seems to be the trickiest part. I also wasn't sure if it would need coding.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie

This 100%

Thank you sir! I figured it's a piece of cake. I do want to observe someone else doing it in the flesh before I take a stab at it though. Watching a YouTube video of it, the Airbag springs seems to be the trickiest part. I also wasn't sure if it would need coding.

The 'coding' dealers are talking about is basically turning the wheel lock-to-lock once to reset the dash lights that come on after reinstall. Either that or they are talking out of their asses lol

Definitely DO NOT PLUG IN THE BATTERY WHILE THE WHEEL IS OUT.

It takes a couple hours in VCDS to reset all the warnings and errors you'll get.

Ask me how i know. :D :D :D

LOL why man, WHY did you do that!! haha oh man good times!