GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RSRR vs. RE71R

Epic Beck

I wanted to know if anyone has used the Federal RSRR with their GTI for autocross? I just purchased a '17 GTI DSG and I am setting it up to run GS this year. I think you can basically get 3 sets of the RSRR for the same as 2 sets of RE71R.

I know the RE71R (or the Rival) has been the safe pick for 200 tread-wear tire for a while, but for the price, I was thinking of trying the RSRR. Just curious if anyone has run them and has opinions?

Bonus question, would you go with 225/45, 235/40 or 235/45?

Thanks

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
245/40/17 is the more normal GS setup

I don't know if anyone compared those directly, but if you are looking for competitive tires the last 3 seasons have been either RE71R or BFG Rival S1.5

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I'm guessing no problems with rubbing and the 245 fit find on 7.5 wide wheels?

No issue with rubbing, some tire shop may object to mounting them but I mount my own tires. I think Tire Rack will evens ship them mounted if you bought wheels from them too(might need to call them). 245/40/17 is actually slightly shorter than the stock size so rubbing is a non-issue. 235/45/17 is pretty tall.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
No issue with rubbing, some tire shop may object to mounting them but I mount my own tires. I think Tire Rack will evens ship them mounted if you bought wheels from them too(might need to call them). 245/40/17 is actually slightly shorter than the stock size so rubbing is a non-issue. 235/45/17 is pretty tall.

I just ordered a set of mounted 245/40-17 RE71-R's on Enkei Fujin 17x7.5 wheels from Tire Rack over the weekend for my G Street set-up. I got a call from a Tire Rack rep the following Monday. He REALLY didn't want to mount that size tire on that width rim- insisted I needed a wider wheel for that tire. And this was after I noted on my order that the tire/wheel set-up was going to be used for autocross and that I knew that there was a sizing mis-match between the wheels and tires! Finally, after him doing some research and asking around, he finally agreed to my order as placed.

Don't be surprised by and cave to this kind of push-back. Their legal staff &/or liability carriers must be leaning on them pretty hard. On a previous order for a different car, I made the mistake of calling them to order a replacement pair of replacement BFG All-Seasons for my Mini. They wouldn't sell me just a pair, even though it was for the same size, model and manufacturer replacement tires as those being replaced. Ended up bypassing people & ordering on-line like I should have in the first place. Geesh!:cool:

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hey Jen: what pressures do you recommend to start with for a new set of RE71R's? Car is a 2017 Sport with NO rear bar upgrade yet. Alignment IS dialed-in.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I ran my RE71s even at 32/32 normally with my rear bar. For more rotation without the bar I probably will run the rear to 38 or something..

FYI I've found RE71R needs at least a couple events under them to be considered as scrubbed in. Brand new ones at the first event may feel kinda squirmy.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks. I was advised by an old-timer who has a few Nationals under his belt that the RE71's need a few break-in miles on them before running. He thought the 2 hr. drive to this weekend's site, Seneca Army Depot, would do them good. I don't expect to get back into Nationals shape this rear, but I should have at least a handful of regional events under my belt this year before I do the NEDIV Divisional.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
The Rs-rr can be a rough tire for daily. Idk what class you are running but see if the RS-R is available. A much more forgiving yet grippy as FUCK tire. I use them for trackdays and non competition events. DD'ed them last year too.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Good advice, but I only plan to use them on the street for relatively nearby events. If I go to Cherry Valley or other CNY events, I'll mount them there. Otherwise, the OEM P7's will do for DD stuff until I wear them out.