GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clicking (creaking maybe?) Sound While Turning at Standstill?

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
Subscribed. I’ve noticed the same thing on mine. 2016 S 56000 miles. Only mod is lowering springs and mine makes similar creaking noises turning the wheel at a standstill. Just not as pronounced.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
They all creak, it's the front suspension.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
Try silicone spray on the lca bushings? It fixed my creak but that was more of a low speed with wheel turned over bumps thing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WhyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Strange. I’ve noticed this with mine too. Only 6,200 miles with APR springs & wheel spacers. Only hear some clicking when turning the wheel at very low speeds. No issues or sounds otherwise at normal speed.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Well good to know at least I'm not the only one with this sound! Lol. It definitely comes from down low, not the top of the strut for example.

I couldn't hear too well, does it sound like this? https://photos.app.goo.gl/kkLx9SjzVKQPsceX8

I would say no, from what I can hear from your video that sounds different from what I can hear with my windows down, turning the wheel at a stand still.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
It's the wishbone bushes. VW aren't interested.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
They all creak, it's the front suspension.
Not true. Mine creaked with VWR springs on stock struts and bearings. Switched to Koni Yellow with 034 Dynamic Strut mount and bearings, no more sound.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Not true. Mine creaked with VWR springs on stock struts and bearings. Switched to Koni Yellow with 034 Dynamic Strut mount and bearings, no more sound.

Give it time, the wishbone bush will start to creak again if it's still the VW one. Or maybe yours are always in precisely the right climate and moisture content to avoid this problem that is endemic in all VAG cars!

Murf1

Ready to race!
Mine does it too, sounds almost like a spring binding at times. Dealer looked at it and initially said they could not reproduce and then I was able to get it to happen while reversing and turning. Now stating its the plastic CV joints and they all do it.

Not sure I believe this since its only happening on one side (driver) but they sent me packing with no repair.

Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
It's interesting that it's not just my car that does it and that it seems to be present whether cars are lowered or not. I'm taking my car in for an alignment next week so I'll bring it up and see what they say but from what most are posting it seems to be a quirk of the car and not something that I should be concerned about.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Another observation to this is that the sound is not there if the car has been sitting for the day and I start it and turn the wheel back and forth without moving the car. Would that still be symptomatic of the cause being the bushings?

At this point I'm contemplating swapping the stock control arm bushes with Super Pro ones.

Last edited: