GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crack wheel 19 Pretoria

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
And isn't the Cadiz a 18 inch? Here, the problem is very little sidewall and US roads.

Available in both. I have a set of 19" ones and yes, they're very substantial. They weigh about the same as Austins, so a solid 5lbs or so more than Prets. They don't look as good, but I don't doubt they are a stronger wheel.

OP - if you're interested, you can probably get a full set of 19" Cadiz take offs for the price of one Pret replacement.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Kasper, I learned something new ��

No problem bud, took me awhile to figure out also :)

Ouch, that sucks in your pic. I’ve been pretty good at dodging potholes, hope I can keep it up lol

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
After driving less than 3,000 miles, I bent one of my 19" Cadiz wheels, but had it straightened by a wheelsmith. Since I never really liked them, shortly after the repair I purchased a set of 19" Advanti HY Hybris wheels--flow-formed and about 5 lbs lighter, running the stock 235/35 tires. In the 15,000 miles that I've ridden on them I've bent 2 and cracked 2. So my average dent/milage rate has been roughly about the same with both sets of 19" wheels. My winter wheels are from Advanti also, their Stelvio style. Flow-formed and light as well, the Stelvios are 18" running 225/40 winter tires. I'm yet to have anything happen with them, aside from a little curb-rash (I had them checked out last week just after having them removed for the warmer months), after about 8000 miles and 4 winters. And though the mileage on my 18" winter wheels is less than that on my current summer 19's, the potholes are at their worst during the winter months. My guess is that this difference between the two sets of wheels is mainly due to the lack of cushioning afforded by the 235/35/19 tires (3" sidewall height) compared to the 225/40/18 tires (3.5" sidewall height). 1/2" might not sound like a lot, but it's still a 17% difference--just possibly enough to bend or crack a wheel hitting a deep enough pothole at speed.

As per the OP, the crack in his Pretorias could have been started by the previous owner and only expanded to the point where there was appreciable air leakage through the crack over time. There's always those "known unknowns" that come along with buying a used car.

Last edited:

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
After driving less than 3,000 miles, I bent one of my 19" Cadiz wheels, but had it straightened by a wheelsmith. Since I never really liked them, shortly after the repair I purchased a set of 19" Advanti HY Hybris wheels--flow-formed and about 5 lbs lighter, running the stock 235/35 tires. In the 15,000 miles that I've ridden on them I've bent 2 and cracked 2. So my average dent/milage rate has been roughly about the same with both sets of 19" wheels. My winter wheels are from Advanti also, their Stelvio style. Flow-formed and light as well, the Stelvios are 18" running 225/40 winter tires. I'm yet to have anything happen with them, aside from a little curb-rash (I had them checked out last week just after having them removed for the warmer months), after about 8000 miles and 4 winters. And though the mileage on my 18" winter wheels is less than that on my current summer 19's, the potholes are at their worst during the winter months. My guess is that this difference between the two sets of wheels is mainly due to the lack of cushioning afforded by the 235/35/19 tires (3" sidewall height) compared to the 225/40/18 tires (3.5" sidewall height). 1/2" might not sound like a lot, but it's still a 17% difference--just possibly enough to bend or crack a wheel hitting a deep enough pothole at speed.

As per the OP, the crack in his Pretorias could have been started by the previous owner and only expanded to the point where there was appreciable air leakage through the crack over time. There's always those "known unknowns" that come along with buying a used car.

Ya, I run 18” enkeis in the winter on one R, 17” oz’s on the other and they’ve been fine hitting hidden potholes in the winter. The 19s with super low profile tires are a gamble.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
My Pretorias: 1 cracked and a few bent on Philly area potholes. I wish VW offered an 18" forged option for the R. Glad I got rim and tire coverage from the start.

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
I read somewhere here that the Pretoria comes from to production plants. The one branded as Borbet (I think) was the strongest one not to crack...

I have 4 that has been abused in track without any problems... Don't know the produser!

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

joeblonewjersey

Ready to race!
And the answer is?

What's the highest profile tire that can fit the 19"?

I'd LIKE to keep the Pretorias, but I'd also like to have options for other than summer only and then only one all season (Continental).
So, again, (it appears the question may not have been answered)
what is the highest profile tire that can be used on the 19" Pretoria wheels (without any issues, etc.)?

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I would consider wrong speed displayed being an issue.

Just by simple calculation you can see that 235x0.35 and 235x0.40 is a big difference in sidewall height. Therefore it will screw up your speedo by a few mph, mpg, and acceleration (gear ratio), maybe braking, etc.

I mentioned this already, but 245x0.35 is more favorable in this case 245/35/19 vs taller aspect ratio.