GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who is on Bilstein B8s?

JL33T

Ready to race!
Thanks, good to know I wouldnt need the audi pads if I were to go with the Euro Eibach's. I saw in one of Hammerstick's posts that the H&R OE's dropped .75" in front and 1.5" or so in the rear for him which seems crazy.

For anyone else wondering, NA spec Eibach pro kit springs are 148-217 lbs/in front, 200-286 lbs/in rear.

I don't know the difference in spring rates but I do know you won't need the pads for the euro pkit. They already have a smidge of rake so pads would amplify that.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks, good to know I wouldnt need the audi pads if I were to go with the Euro Eibach's. I saw in one of Hammerstick's posts that the H&R OE's dropped .75" in front and 1.5" or so in the rear for him which seems crazy.

For anyone else wondering, NA spec Eibach pro kit springs are 148-217 lbs/in front, 200-286 lbs/in rear.

Really? I could have sworn I read the H&R OE's we're .75" all the way around. I already have clearance issues getting in my driveway when I load the boot up with mulch/rocks whatever from Lowes, certainly would not want to be any lower.

JL33T

Ready to race!
They are supposed to be .75 all around but I think that is an average and that number will fluctuate a bit depending on the car. Im no expert, just a guess.

are you 1" all around on your euro eibach's?

I just heard from the place I ordered the bilstein B8's from and it looks like rears are backordered. I will be going koni sports instead.

Really? I could have sworn I read the H&R OE's we're .75" all the way around. I already have clearance issues getting in my driveway when I load the boot up with mulch/rocks whatever from Lowes, certainly would not want to be any lower.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
. I saw in one of Hammerstick's posts that the H&R OE's dropped .75" in front and 1.5" or so in the rear for him which seems crazy.

Edit...it was a 1.25" rear drop. This was measured center hub to fender. I had to use EMD spacers to even things out.

Maybe I got a bad set, I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
They are supposed to be .75 all around but I think that is an average and that number will fluctuate a bit depending on the car. Im no expert, just a guess.

are you 1" all around on your euro eibach's?

I just heard from the place I ordered the bilstein B8's from and it looks like rears are backordered. I will be going koni sports instead.

IIRC 1" up front and .75" in the rear.

penguinsgestapo

Passed Driver's Ed
I am on B8 shocks and H&R Sport Springs which I haven't seen as a common setup yet. I have to say so far I really really like this setup over the springs + OEM shocks. Also, my wife doesn't complain about the ride quality anymore. It isn't "bouncy" it's actually dampened.

I will be heading to Tail of the Dragon this weekend so I can report back if they are better feeling in the corners over the spring + stock shock setup or not.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Based on all this it sounds like I should go with H&R Springs and possibly Koni. I'll check the full VWR setup but I don't want it lowered much. If Bilstein is reliably shipping I'll go with the B8s, otherwise not going to worry about 'em.

Thanks for all the discussion. :)

Edit: Sounds like most don't care for coilovers? I was considering BC or perhaps another option but I've seen very little reference to those setups on the forum so far.

BMAN

Go Kart Newbie
I am on B8 shocks and H&R Sport Springs which I haven't seen as a common setup yet. I have to say so far I really really like this setup over the springs + OEM shocks. Also, my wife doesn't complain about the ride quality anymore. It isn't "bouncy" it's actually dampened.

I will be heading to Tail of the Dragon this weekend so I can report back if they are better feeling in the corners over the spring + stock shock setup or not.

Any pictures? I have the same setup just haven't installed them yet.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I was running EMD springs on OEM shocks for about 6 months, ride was great except for very rare rubbing/scraping on the front when I would hit a bump at high speeds.

I just switched out the shocks to B8's, kept the same springs but now I experience the rubbing much more frequently. After reading this entire thread I thinkthe EMD springs are too soft for B8's so I am looking at swapping them out.

I'm debating between H&R OE Sport, Neuspeed Sport, or Eibach Pro-Kit. I know several have posted reviews on each of these set ups, but can anyone add any updated opinions?

Most comments are over a year old, any updates since then? Are you still enjoying your setup? I'm not concerned with going too low, I just don't want to rub when I hit a bump. My tires are 18x8.5 et45 and I have done the fender screw mod. Thanks

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I was running EMD springs on OEM shocks for about 6 months, ride was great except for very rare rubbing/scraping on the front when I would hit a bump at high speeds.

I just switched out the shocks to B8's, kept the same springs but now I experience the rubbing much more frequently. After reading this entire thread I thinkthe EMD springs are too soft for B8's so I am looking at swapping them out.

I'm debating between H&R OE Sport, Neuspeed Sport, or Eibach Pro-Kit. I know several have posted reviews on each of these set ups, but can anyone add any updated opinions?

Most comments are over a year old, any updates since then? Are you still enjoying your setup? I'm not concerned with going too low, I just don't want to rub when I hit a bump. My tires are 18x8.5 et45 and I have done the fender screw mod. Thanks
I think I'm one of those people you're talking about, ran EMD r springs on stock shocks for 15k or so and then swapped to B8s and it wasn't rubbing as much as harder hits against the front internal bump stops and just feeling like the suspension was too soft for good handling. Like it was too compliant. What I did was guinea pig a set of EMD RS3 springs and I can say that while the ride height isn't ideal (front is 25" FTG even, rear however is nearly 1" higher because of how much extra weight is in the rear of an rs3 sedan), the handling and ride with stiffer springs on B8s is awesome.

I would have also tried a set of Neuspeed springs, or even their rs3 springs because I don't think anything else has rates closer to 300+ in lbs which I think is ideal.

Hindsight, I should have just bought PSS9/10 coilovers or similar and saved the money and time avoiding "complicated and expensive" coilovers trying shock/spring combos hahaha.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie

I'm on B8/H&R OE Sport on 18x8.5 45mm 255/35 and good to go.