GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil level too high?

zero10

Ready to race!
I should mention - my '17 golf came slightly overfilled when I got it as well. At the end of the 15,000km my oil level was still in the crosshatched area, right about the middle of it. Perhaps they overfill a bit expecting extra oil consumption on new engines and for most people not to check it at all?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Looks like whatever dealer hairless ape... PDI'd it before sale. Ran the car, shut it off, immediately checked the oil without giving it a couple of mins to run back into the sump was below the max and added 1/4 -1/3 of a quart.

With the car running it is probably right at the max part of the dip stick (the top of the bent section). Which is not ideal...but will not harm anything during normal commuter driving.

With a brand new car, I do any oil change somewhere between 1000-1500mi anyway to start washing out some of the break in contaminates. If you have the car leased or don't plan on keeping it more the 4-5 years (most people), don't worry about it.

You think they even check it? Lol

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
The engine is not going to blow up. The reason they don't want people to over fill the oil is because some might go out the exhaust and cause the CAT to run hot. That usually only occurs with high RPM use so 200 miles should be fine with reasonable driving.

It's actually because the crankshaft can "froth" up (add air to) the oil if it's too high in certain cars.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
It's actually because the crankshaft can "froth" up (add air to) the oil if it's too high in certain cars.

The oil is constantly tossed around the sump and into the crank so frothing always occurs to some degree. VW specifically states that over filling will damage the CAT and thus not to do it.