GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Go for a test drive with the wife they said. It'll be fun they said.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Went to test drive the only GTI the local dealer had, ends up they sold it two days ago. Since we mostly wanted to see how it'd hold up with the family we went with a Golf SE on the lot instead. Still not bad for a base version. That went well.

Then my wife noticed an SUV on the lot. She'd briefly looked at it before when originally discussing the GTI with the sales folks, nothing unusual. Well, today she looked more, discovered it had a third row seat and looked comfy, and wanted to test drive it. Of course, with me driving. It was a Tiguan SEL R-style 4Motion. Have to admit, not a bad little SUV. Especially for having the same engine pretty much as the GTI. Did well on a dirt road too. She wants to do her own test drive now Monday. And we're taking possibly trading in her 2013 Sienna.

So depending how things go in a couple of weeks we might be a dual VW household. I would've looked at you funny if you'd suggested that a month ago. [emoji848]

On that note, any issues anyone know of in the Tiguan that should steer us away from it?

2019 Cornflower Blue GTI Rabbit DSG

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Tiguan is a good little SUV but i dont think the third row is very usable. Depending on the third row usage, you might want to check the Atlas as well.

daisoma

Passed Driver's Ed
Got almost the same set up but in reverse order. My wife got the Tiguan and I then jumped ship.

As long as you know the performance in the tig is nothing like the GTI then you'll be happy with it. The size is perfect for our needs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I would agree with the atlas suggestion if you're looking for 3rd row seating but the price jumps a bit for the same SEL R-line specs. Atlas will give you far more room if needed though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
My loves her Tig. The biggest gripe is the terrible headlights on everything but the SEL premium trim (halogen vs LED). I fixed it with an HID conversion kit, but now there's an Ed's rep kit for LEDs. Factor that into your price, because night time visibility from the halogens is terrible unless you upgrade.

The third row was borderline useless, so we got a 4wd model without it because you get better cargo space and it costs less.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Thanks all. It'll be hers so not as worried about the performance side. Can still play with it some. We thought about the Atlas but it's outside the budget range since this wasn't planned yet. Plus mileage on that is terrible for a V6. My 6.4L Ram V8 nearly gets that.

I sat in the third row with the second all the way back. I had to do a split but at 6'2" fit. lol It'd be for our youngest two if the car seats fit (4 & 6). Should hold long enough until we get what she really wants in a few years (Evoque S).

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
Tiguan is not really an SUV. You aren't going off-roading in it, the ground clearance is nothing to brag about, no 4 Low Range. It is more of a minivan. A nice minivan, but still a minivan.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Tiguan is not really an SUV. You aren't going off-roading in it, the ground clearance is nothing to brag about, no 4 Low Range. It is more of a minivan. A nice minivan, but still a minivan.
After trading in a minivan, and driving said minivan, it is definitely not a minivan. Someone who drives a Jeep or something might get their nose bent about both being classified as an SUV, but it is definitely an SUV. Less interior space, swing doors instead of slide, higher clearance, and better off-road even if not Jeep standards. And it actually did pretty well on some rough muddy farm roads we test drive it in the van would've had problems with.

Your opinion is your opinion, but it is classified as an SUV and sure as hell is no minivan. Comment indicates you have zero clue about the latter category, and some kind of elitist view of some in the former.

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
I guess I some kind of elitist view. Having owned and off roaded a 1978 Scout 2 SS, a 1984 Jeep CJ7 and a 1987 Subaru BRAT, I don't consider something an SUV just because it can drive down a dirt road.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
I guess I some kind of elitist view. Having owned and off roaded a 1978 Scout 2 SS, a 1984 Jeep CJ7 and a 1987 Subaru BRAT, I don't consider something an SUV just because it can drive down a dirt road.
I definitely agree it's not in the same class for off-road, least for the first two. Such vehicles used to be now limited with those, Broncos, and Blazers pretty much it, some trucks. These days it's the largest group for better or worse, or getting there. I just hope the hot hatches don't go the way the sedans are going here with everyone going larger.

My cruiser motorcycle would go down a dirt road so yep. [emoji6] But I will say so far it is at least a step up from a regular street vehicle in that regard.