GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex E55 blend vs. Big Turbo S2K

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Backstory on this race: Dear friend of mine I've known for almost 18 years runs a Honda Performance shop here in town. We've kept in touch over the years, as I moved away to different locations around the globe (literally), and came back here about 2 years ago. When I came back into town, I was in the market for a new car and told him I was buying a Golf R. He told me not to waste my money and to buy the new Civic Type R. I seriously considered it, but none were available and this DSG R kept calling my name. He's always given me a little bit of shit about the car, until I started modifying things.

I ended up deploying to Europe for 6 months and let him drive my car while I was away. He was converted when I came back. Not from Honda, but he had seen the light and appreciated the car for what it was (pre-upgrades)

After my EQT install and tuning, along with other upgrades and modifications, he (in his words) says he feels nauseous when I launch the car, and he's only ever experienced this feeling in a track-prepped high HP Honda on slicks. He's thoroughly impressed by what the car is capable of, and asks to borrow it all the time LOL!

Anyway, runs of his built (15psi on pump gas) big turbo S2K vs. my DSG R.

This first video was about a 40mph roll, I can't recall exactly.

https://vimeo.com/320315573

The second video was about a 55mph pull, he wanted to be in 3rd gear. I was in sport shifting mode, but had been using the paddles so it was in M (somewhat). I was in 3rd and shifted into 4th manually, then the car autoshifted into 5th manually and I hit the paddle, prematurely shifting into 6th. :( Still reeled him in, though ;)

https://vimeo.com/320315763

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Funny, I’m a relatively recent vw convert also. I badmouthed them for decades, and still believe I was right back then, but the mk7s made me change my tune, and the fact you can really push them hard before building the motor/trans really just has cemented my affection and appreciation for the platform!

ronlowenberg

Passed Driver's Ed
Backstory on this race: Dear friend of mine I've known for almost 18 years runs a Honda Performance shop here in town. We've kept in touch over the years, as I moved away to different locations around the globe (literally), and came back here about 2 years ago. When I came back into town, I was in the market for a new car and told him I was buying a Golf R. He told me not to waste my money and to buy the new Civic Type R. I seriously considered it, but none were available and this DSG R kept calling my name. He's always given me a little bit of shit about the car, until I started modifying things.

I ended up deploying to Europe for 6 months and let him drive my car while I was away. He was converted when I came back. Not from Honda, but he had seen the light and appreciated the car for what it was (pre-upgrades)

After my EQT install and tuning, along with other upgrades and modifications, he (in his words) says he feels nauseous when I launch the car, and he's only ever experienced this feeling in a track-prepped high HP Honda on slicks. He's thoroughly impressed by what the car is capable of, and asks to borrow it all the time LOL!

The second video was about a 55mph pull, he wanted to be in 3rd gear. I was in sport shifting mode, but had been using the paddles so it was in M (somewhat). I was in 3rd and shifted into 4th manually, then the car autoshifted into 5th manually and I hit the paddle, prematurely shifting into 6th. :( Still reeled him in, though ;)

Since you shifted into 6th you were doing more than 150 correct?

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
There are a ton of Subi owners who are becoming converts as well. They see how stout the Mk7 is and how well is takes to modifications (without blowing up).

Nice runs! Get a full Stage 3+ setup from APR and you're friend will switch to a VW shop :)

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
There are a ton of Subi owners who are becoming converts as well. They see how stout the Mk7 is and how well is takes to modifications (without blowing up).

Nice runs! Get a full Stage 3+ setup from APR and you're friend will switch to a VW shop :)

Ehh.. I'm already "STG3+". The EQT Vortex is an upgraded turbo, and it's protuned by Ed @ EQT. ;)

Luchos

Go Kart Champion

APR = Chef's Salty Chocolate Balls

Luchos

Go Kart Champion

?

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Guess it's time for me to sell then

You can only lose so many races to every EVO and VW you encounter before you start exploring other options. :D Did someone say spark plugs?

Last edited:

soto

Passed Driver's Ed
sickkk kill. First turbo s2k vs R video ive seen

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Nice runs. Came a crossed many s2000s back in the day that wiped the floor with anyone in sight.