GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions about mounting aftermarket wheels

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
I'm currently on Austins with Sentury UHPs. I plan on buying some aftermarket 18x8 wheels and mounting the tires I already have for now.

Should I trust a tire shop like Discount Tire or Costco to remove the Austins, remove the tires, install the tires on the new wheels, and then install the new wheels on my car?
I've heard horror stories about tire shops over torquing our lug bolts. Can I trust a tire shop to correctly install the hubcentric rings I will provide?

Also, can anyone recommend lug bolts? There's too many options out there.
I need 14x1.5 in 27mm. Preferably in black. Not sure if Amazon/Ebay is fine or if I need to find something a little higher quality on ECS or somewhere....

Thanks.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
You should probably call around to the various tire shops and ask them if they can properly mount the tires/wheels without damage as they are "alloy" wheels. If you have any performance shops in your area that specialize in European cars they might be an option or they might be able to advise who can do the work properly.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I always use my indie mech floor stuff like that, but I've had good relations with discount tire.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Honestly, you're not going to some extreme wheel size, like a 20" with an R-comp with 30 sidewall...most any shop should be able to take care of that no issue.

Just call ahead to the shop, and ask to speak to the tech before the work is done. Always check the work someone else has done on your car though. I'm paranoid and always check tire pressure and bolt torque after tire work. It takes you 5 mins for peace of mind.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
The problem is many shops treat alloy wheels the same as steel wheels and once they mar or damage the wheel, you're screwed. It's not the tires as much as it is an understanding of the procedures required to prevent damage to the wheels and proper installation on the vehicle without crazy impact wrench torque that is excessive.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Find a shop that does higher end wheels/tires and do custom work on BMWs, Ferrari's etc. They'll have the proper machines to handle your wheels properly. Yes, you'll pay more, but it'll at least be right.
My buddy who owns a BMW repair shop has a VERY good tire machine. He mounts $12,000 HRE's and Ferrari and Lambo wheels for guys all the time.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
None of what you described is beyond the scope of the technicians at Discount Tire. They sell all sorts of aftermarket wheels, so they're familiar with hubcentric rings. The work orders generated by their computer will have the correct torque spec printed on it. 18x8 isn't some exotic size, so their machines won't have any trouble mounting tires to them without damage.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
on the bolts I would get some recommendation from the wheel manufacturer. Some wheels can use oem style lug bolts, some need tuner style. If wheel maker can't help you, buy the bolts after you get the wheels and try to determine what you need. If possible, try fitting the oem bolt in the wheel hole (to see clearance) and think about how much room you have for someone taking a wrench to the bolt (yourself included).

I bought Drag wheels and was told by drag that oem bolts were fine, however once I got them it was clear that the wheel recess was too deep and narrow to get wrench on the bolt.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
None of what you described is beyond the scope of the technicians at Discount Tire. They sell all sorts of aftermarket wheels, so they're familiar with hubcentric rings. The work orders generated by their computer will have the correct torque spec printed on it. 18x8 isn't some exotic size, so their machines won't have any trouble mounting tires to them without damage.

The problem is there are all different types of techs - some more attune to precision wheel work than others. I've watched techs change tires at Discount Tire as well as other shops and the quality of the work varies a lot within a given shop. Few if any techs actually use a torque wrench IME. If one is used it's just to confirm the impact gun tightened the nuts/bolts at least to the specified torque.

The real concern however is damage to the wheels. Few techs are use to hub centric wheel inserts as U.S. auto makers have forever just used the wheel lugs to center the wheel unlike Euro auto makers. If you can find a competent tech/shop then stick with them so you get proper service work.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I'm currently on Austins with Sentury UHPs. I plan on buying some aftermarket 18x8 wheels and mounting the tires I already have for now.

Should I trust a tire shop like Discount Tire or Costco to remove the Austins, remove the tires, install the tires on the new wheels, and then install the new wheels on my car?
I've heard horror stories about tire shops over torquing our lug bolts. Can I trust a tire shop to correctly install the hubcentric rings I will provide?

Also, can anyone recommend lug bolts? There's too many options out there.
I need 14x1.5 in 27mm. Preferably in black. Not sure if Amazon/Ebay is fine or if I need to find something a little higher quality on ECS or somewhere....

Thanks.

Do you need ball seat or cone seat?

Buy a torque wrench, breaker bar and 17mm plastic lined socket.

When the shop is done with your car, re-torque them yourself. Then check them again after about 30 miles.

Hubcentric rings don't take much thought to install. They are usually cheap plastic. You can put them onto the wheel itself before you give it to the shop.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Discount Tire HAS TO torque all of the wheels with a torque wrench and then they tell you to come back after 50-100 miles or something to have them re-checked again

And just tell them to be careful with the wheels. They usually inspect whatever you give them anyways. Take pictures of the condition before they do anything, for proof too. If something does happen to them, they usually take care of you/cover it

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The problem is there are all different types of techs - some more attune to precision wheel work than others. I've watched techs change tires at Discount Tire as well as other shops and the quality of the work varies a lot within a given shop. Few if any techs actually use a torque wrench IME. If one is used it's just to confirm the impact gun tightened the nuts/bolts at least to the specified torque.

The real concern however is damage to the wheels. Few techs are use to hub centric wheel inserts as U.S. auto makers have forever just used the wheel lugs to center the wheel unlike Euro auto makers. If you can find a competent tech/shop then stick with them so you get proper service work.

My experience at DT has been the exact opposite. I usually wait there, and watch them work on my car through the windows; every time, they torque the bolts using a torque wrench, and they seem to be pretty careful with the wheels as well. Maybe my local store is just more professional?

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
My experience at DT has been the exact opposite. I usually wait there, and watch them work on my car through the windows; every time, they torque the bolts using a torque wrench, and they seem to be pretty careful with the wheels as well. Maybe my local store is just more professional?

The whole point was that the work can vary by tech in the same store... I wish they were all excellent but that has not been my experience with several visits to multiple DT stores in my area. It's not an easy job. I did it for 15 years. ;)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
x2 on this, but I'm usually back there working with them LOL

I know the guy and take off the wheels myself and then watch him mount/dismount while we B.S.
Then I put the wheels back on myself....only IF I don't bring them loose off the vehicle.
But very rarely do I take the car up there...I just swap them myself in the garage